• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 240 Turbo oil cooler hard line thread to AN10

Nattvard

Hello,

I'm going to install an oil cooler from a 240 Turbo on my B230FT:ed 1976 242 and get rid of the 13C.

Does anyone know what thread the "nuts" at the end of the hardline that goes in front of the engine is? I measured the outer dimension to 22 mm and the inner to 17 mm. The pipe itself has an outer diameter of 12 mm. I'd like to adapt this to AN10 (screw the metric stuff!). I see two router:

1) Find an adapter from this unknown dimension to AN10. Easiest route if such adapters exist
2) Cut the weird nuts off and weld AN10 fitting directly to the pipe.

Any opinions?

(By the way - I'm looking for the lower bracket for the oil cooler, if any one has one for sale)

The copper seals are 14 mm (9/16") ID. 16 mm ID copper seals fits too loose on the fittings. I may have had to enlarge the hole in the 14 mm copper seals to fit over the threads of the fitting.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, just to be clear, this is the one that I want to replace:

volvo-240-oil-cooler-hardline-l12-1.jpg

volvo-240-oil-cooler-hardline-l12-2.jpg

volvo-240-oil-cooler-hardline-l12-3.jpg

volvo-240-oil-cooler-hardline-l12-4.jpg

OD 12 mm

Last edited:
this is what I did, cheap and easy.

And you didn't have any kind of clearance problems? Should I cut as little as possible?
I will not be able to trial fit during the modification. I will also use the standard bracket that holds the line to the engine, but I guess the distance to it is enough not to interfere.

I can get this locally quite cheap:

Those Volvo fittings are commonly called Ermeto or Din fittings and they have separate ferrule. Size is L12 (L for low pressure and 12 is diameter)

Bolt on solution needs two adapters. L12 to 3/8" BSP and 3/8" BSP to AN10. First one can be found in any hydraulic store (You're in Sweden so DunlopHiflex for example). Second one is usually found in speedshops.

But welding is also okay.

I couldn't find the right BSP to AN fittings when I was putting my together. Does anyone have a link of one they know are the right ones? I think I bought some from Pegasus racing that didn't work out.

Parker's catalog lists Ermeto fittings with BSPP, metric and NPT female threads. It would be a lot easier to find metric or NPT AN fittings.

The fittings are available in both 3/8" and 1/2" with BSPP and NPT threads. The metric fitting is only available with M16x1.5 threads.

I couldn't find the right BSP to AN fittings when I was putting my together. Does anyone have a link of one they know are the right ones? I think I bought some from Pegasus racing that didn't work out.

The fittings to adapt the oil cooler to AN are 1/2" BSP. Pegasus has them in AN sizes -6 to -16.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3252

I bought the adapters from pegasus and they work great. A little spendy though.

Pegasus is usually overpriced on everything, but they have a lot of weird race stuff all in one location.

Luckily, my local hydraulic shop had them in stock for $7. Thank you Oil Filter Service Co!

I'm leaning a bit towards welding AN-fittings to the hardline. Since the outer diameterof the hardline is 12 mm, and AN8 tube is 12.7 mm, maybe AN8 is more like the original dimension?

Do you guys think AN8 is adequate for a 13 row Setrab cooler (same size as B21E/FT original oil cooler). Or should I go for AN10?

Back