• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hacksters daily driver 242.....lq4 and t56

That looks great, I'm pretty sure I like this car more than your other one. Such a hard decision to make!

Its really not a hard decision to make for me. I like this car way more....part of the attraction of a car is driving it, and driving it hard. This one is a blast to drive, and its starting to look descent too.

Scotty....garage needs to be bigger :) deeper and taller, but it is much better than the two car at the old house. I also have a two car attached that matches the shop's paint scheme and cabinets.

Does need more turbo, maybe next winter, I am having lots of fun driving it.

Sean

So I spent yesterday spinning my wheels (literally) with the stupid electronic speedometer. I just cannot seem to get it to play nice with me.

Anyone done an electonic speedometer swap in a 240 before? Wanna help?

So I buttoned that up last night and went over to Kammer's place and pickup up an early flathood grille setup. The one that I bought off here was not repairable and I had been borrowing one from Pat.

Cleaned up the new set that was in great shape (Thanks Kammer) masked off the cross bar and emblem and shot them both with some trim black on them. Turned out really good.

I had bought an air dam from Ansel at the swap meet and picked it up from his house today.

Brought it back here and proceeded to try and make it fit with the commando bumpers. I was suprised at how easy it really was to mount. Drilled some holes in the bumper and that got it hanging in the right location. Ran a couple of zip ties behind the bumper to hold the ends up where they go.

Not too bad of a fit, and gets the frontend of the car down a bit instead of the huge overbite look.

152A6D4B-orig.jpg

D6082177-orig.jpg

Not a huge fan of the early buckets with the egg crate look in the bottom, but I rather like the blacked out bezels and grille. I think It kind of fits with the commando bumper and the oldish look of the big bumpers.

Maybe get the front suspension sorted out this week if I have time.

Sean

What's the issue with the speedo? You're using the diff cover pickup?

I am sure its something that I have done.....

Yes, g80 with a 48 tooth tone ring trimmed down to 12 even bars. Aluminim diff cover with the pickup on it. Ran through the stock location into the trunk with the factory wires. From there I picked up and ran one blue and one black wire up the cluster.

I have blue to blue from sender to guage pigtail. I have black to black from sender to guage pigtail. I then had to supply switched 12v to the third wire on the speedo pigtail to get the cluster to work. This might not be correct, but everything seems to work other than the speedo.

I have two electronic cluster (I dont know the years on either of them though).

Here is what I know. I have a mechanical/ elecro speed drive from my dodge that will send a pulsed signal out of it when turned from a drill. With the key in the on position, I can spin the speedo sender and the guage works just fine. Start the car and the speedo does not function.

I am pretty certain that I have something wired wrong or the pinout on the cluster is wrong.

I have pm'd a couple people on here that I think know more than me, but have yet to hear anything back.

Pat and I were talking about it tonight, he thinks I need to just get an early electronic speedo from like an 87 or 88 and it should work just fine.

Any insight?

Sean

I dig the new rollers! I had a staggered set of those on my '99 528i and loved them...but the rears were crazy concave and looked rad.

you can try switching the speedo input wires.

I had the same problem, but it was due to faulty wire connections.

I dig the new rollers! I had a staggered set of those on my '99 528i and loved them...but the rears were crazy concave and looked rad.

Thanks man, I am really happy with how they fit on the car. Not to mention I actually have a little bit of traction now. Still blows off the tires, but it seems to be a little better.

I know the rears that you speak of but they would not work with the spacers that I already had and I was trying to keep it on a budget of some kind. Picked up all four wheels cheap cheap.

DNA....already tried that. Also tried about a dozen other things. Still no go though.

Sean

:\

perhaps just a dead speedo then. also check/measure the output on the signal wires to see if it switches or generates any signals when wheelspinz.

No way....i would put a 60 or a nine inch under it before i would ever think about a 44. Worked on far to many broken 44's to ever own one.

Yes Tethys will be available. More than likely very soon :)

DNA sequence.....thanks. It's all in the details.

Been working on rear suspension so far this weekend. Rear coilovers are on. Adjustable perches and 10" 175 lb springs. Got a 22 mm rear ipd sway bar on the back.

Also picked up a 25mm bar for the front and a coilover sleeve kit. Might make an attempt at getting the fronts done tomorrow if i still have the motivation.

Sean

This guy my dad built a 59 corvette is rocking the C4 dana 44, 10+ years of constant abuse (over 120k and many many track events) with a documented 650whp and not a single hiccup.

Hell there is some people in the local auto x circuit that are squeezing 500+ through the dana 36 from the C4s

Hell there

This guy my dad built a 59 corvette is rocking the C4 dana 44, 10+ years of constant abuse (over 120k and many many track events) with a documented 650whp and not a single hiccup.

Hell there is some people in the local auto x circuit that are squeezing 500+ through the dana 36 from the C4s

Hell there

Oh dont get me wrong, I am sure that they could be up for it, just my personal experience has he shying away from one. You know how it goes.

My background is wheeling, lots of wheeling, current rig is a toob buggy on some 40" stickies. 44's are just not that beefy of a rearend in that world. I have seen 8.8's do stupid stuff that a 44 would snap just thinking about. So that is my story.

I have a 14 bolt in the rear and still carry both spare rear shafts in the tow rig. =)

Here is a couple quick photos, not the best, but you get the idea.

waterfalljeep.jpg

calscrackjeep.jpg

Boy I can get sidetracked easily.

Sean

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-Z6pUy4qw8k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is a little clip from the last waterfall on upper helldorado in Moab.

Sean

If you can't get it to show the right speed, I have a speedo signal adjuster box that I made that I don't need if you are interested.

Ok. Went to cars and coffee this am with Cameron and. Gris from IPD and an into Adblock there. That got me some motivation to come home and deal with this damn speedometer.

Took out the cluster and removed the plastic housing and whitE backing on the circuit board. Then I reassembled everything onto the circuit board so I could hook it up and do some troubleshooting in the car.

Hooked it up with my signal ator hooked to the speedo wires turned on the key and speedo worked fine. Checked volts and ground and all was good. Start car and found that I am loosing ground on the speedo so no worky.

Splices a ground into the black wire from the gauge to the sender and look at that......sPeedo works with the engine running.

Removed cluster and reassembled with a new temp gauge since the old was was notchy.

Took the car out for a spin and the damn speedo worked. Jumped all over the Place at low speeds. Came back and swapped leads at the sender and tried again.

Works like a charm and somehow is dead on with my gps.

Now I know how to do it and glad its done.

t this point everything swap related works as it would have from the factory. Pretty happy with it for now.

Front coil overs and big brakes are next on the list. :)

Congrats on the speedo and the wheels! They don't even look like 18s from here. I'm glad to see you found something though, for sure. If only there were cool BMW or Audi wheels in 17"... Everything these days is 18 or 19" and I want to run 17s!

How does the car ride with all that high performance suspension stuff in the back? Are you still running who knows what for shocks back there? Are the trailing arm bushings new?

Back