• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

92 240 AC Rebuild

Don't vent refrigerant to the atmoshpere. I use a machine to recover it. It actually goes back into other cars!

Honestly, if I were in your situation, I would just first inspect the system for leaks (oily residue), buy a can with a guage and see if there is ANY PRESSURE. if it's at 0 psi there was a leak. If it's up to 60-80 psi static, there is SOME refrigerant in there.

If it's at 0psi you lost all the refrigerant. I would then just charge thru the Low side on the back of the compressor (via adapter) and put 80 percent of the R12 spec in there.

I bought a 1990 740 that was sitting for years and all I did was vac and charge, and it's been working for almost a year so far.

Unless you see a big oily leak somewhere, I wouldn't even worry about adding oil right now.
You can vent r134a to atmosphere, just don’t post on TB about it. The most important step is going to be a deep, long, strong vacuum to remove moisture. I recommend 1 hour, then close gauges and turn off pump, let sit and boil for 1 hour, then vacuum for an additional hour. That’s a 3 hour process, 2 of which will be spent vacuuming. But replace your receiver drier BEFORE vacuuming, obviously.

Also, those cans with the gauges built in are utterly useless. Massive waste of money. Walmart sells r134a cans for $4.88 in my area, then you just need a can tap ($10) and you can RENT manifold gauges and vacuum pump for free. That’s it.

All in all you could have functional AC for:
Receiver drier: $15
Refrigerant: $10-$15
R134a can tap: $10

For a total of $35-$40. Well, don’t forget the r12>r134a low side adapter, but it looks like you already have that.

OP I’m not a pro but I’ve been running a very small automotive AC side business in my area since last year. Many happy customers and no returns yet lol. I would be happy to walk you through step by step if you need help.

I vacuum for 3 minutes.

That?s a hack way of doing it...but okay. I?m all for hack repairs that don?t make a difference in every day functionality, but moisture in ac systems is a killer of performance, and compressors. Dealt with that 3 times in the past week. Owners ac pressures were spot on but ac performance sucked. Deep vacuum and I watched moisture boil off and ambient air disappeared. Once recharged performance was back where it should be.

Rational thought and logic and manufacturer's advice is nothing compared to pompous windbag that brags about doing everything as halfass and hillbilly as possible.
Source: I’ve done it multiple times.
OP I’m not a pro but I’ve been running a very small automotive AC side business in my area since last year. Many happy customers and no returns yet lol. I would be happy to walk you through step by step if you need help

Doesn't even realize that "fixin" a complex system and not have it break in a year is not evidence of good work. Using good practice, proper technique, and correct components, these systems last for a decade.

He's done it multiple times, and what? No explosions? Therefore, it's good practice according to this unattainable.

Sheer stupidity is common, unfortunately mclovin here can't recognize it.
He's the most dangerous and tragic of the morons, the one convinced that he us actually brilliant.
And instead of having it just affect him, he not only pollutes mother earth, and cheats and half asses the locals, he brags about his incompetence, and offers it here.

I would be happy to walk you through step by step if you need help.

NO ONE should follow your advice, and you should be confined to OT.

Rational thought and logic and manufacturer's advice is nothing compared to pompous windbag that brags about doing everything as halfass and hillbilly as possible.

Doesn't even realize that "fixin" a complex system and not have it break in a year is not evidence of good work. Using good practice, proper technique, and correct components, these systems last for a decade.

He's done it multiple times, and what? No explosions? Therefore, it's good practice according to this unattainable.

Sheer stupidity is common, unfortunately mclovin here can't recognize it.
He's the most dangerous and tragic of the morons, the one convinced that he us actually brilliant.
And instead of having it just affect him, he not only pollutes mother earth, and cheats and half asses the locals, he brags about his incompetence, and offers it here.

NO ONE should follow your advice, and you should be confined to OT.
Okay bub, you do you, I?ll do me. I own multiple old ass cars and every single one blows 40F vent temps. So that is my empirical evidence that suggests that no one gives a **** about what you think is right or wrong. I probably have a greater understanding of the HVAC world than the majority of the community on here. Whether or not you want to believe it, I am probably a lot more intelligent than you (think I am). :)

Okay bub, you do you, I?ll do me. I own multiple old ass cars and every single one blows 40F vent temps. So that is my empirical evidence that suggests that no one gives a **** about what you think is right or wrong. I probably have a greater understanding of the HVAC world than the majority of the community on here. Whether or not you want to believe it, I am probably a lot more intelligent than you (think I am). :)

Whether or not you want to believe it
I cannot take that on faith while all the evidence says otherwise.

I am probably a lot more intelligent than you (think I am). :)

There has been no evidence in intelligence or wisdom in any of your posts here.
I am not throwing insults, not trying to demean you, but you need to realize your posts do not portray anything above average intelligence.
They do show arrogance, obstinance, and a real lack of any growth since you have started here. This is a dangerous combo.
Back up your claim to "intelligence" You have not shown it on turbobricks.

Only a limited understanding that has emboldened you to assume you have a clue.
Unless you are a very dedicated troll that scrubs any sign of intelligence from your account, and have painstakingly cultivated this remarkable sham...
If so, you are intelligent, and I am impressed that you never break character.

No, frankly, your posts don't back up our claims to "intelligence" at all.
YOU:Bad advice, limited understanding of basic concepts, worsened by your inability to know your limitations, and refusal to listen to knowledgeable sources despite constantly screwing things up and blaming others.

Go back to OT, try being funny or clever or whatever, but don't give out advice in the serious parts of the forums, please.

I probably have a greater understanding of the HVAC world than the majority of the community on here.
Sigh.
Not the standard. Thinking you are smrater than half of a sample that is not claiming expertise is NOT a reason to think you should give advice.
Seeing this common error in your thinking as an example of why you are "intelligent" and why you should keep your mouth shut is a classic example.

"fixing" a handful of cars that haven't been proven to last a year isn't the standard here or anywhere, and a "highly intelligent" person would realize that.

I cannot take that on faith while all the evidence says otherwise.

There has been no evidence in intelligence or wisdom in any of your posts here.
I am not throwing insults, not trying to demean you, but you need to realize your posts do not portray anything above average intelligence.
They do show arrogance, obstinance, and a real lack of any growth since you have started here. This is a dangerous combo.
Back up your claim to "intelligence" You have not shown it on turbobricks.

Only a limited understanding that has emboldened you to assume you have a clue.
Unless you are a very dedicated troll that scrubs any sign of intelligence from your account, and have painstakingly cultivated this remarkable sham...
If so, you are intelligent, and I am impressed that you never break character.

No, frankly, your posts don't back up our claims to "intelligence" at all.
YOU:Bad advice, limited understanding of basic concepts, worsened by your inability to know your limitations, and refusal to listen to knowledgeable sources despite constantly screwing things up and blaming others.

Go back to OT, try being funny or clever or whatever, but don't give out advice in the serious parts of the forums, please.

Sigh.
Not the standard. Thinking you are smrater than half of a sample that is not claiming expertise is NOT a reason to think you should give advice.
Seeing this common error in your thinking as an example of why you are "intelligent" and why you should keep your mouth shut is a classic example.

"fixing" a handful of cars that haven't been proven to last a year isn't the standard here or anywhere, and a "highly intelligent" person would realize that.
All that talkin? and still haven?t provided any AC advice to OP. Smh, shame on you. I hope his ac is fixed after all this.

All that talkin’ and still haven’t provided any AC advice to OP. Smh, shame on you. I hope his ac is fixed after all this.

Classic. Still doesn't realize that giving advice should be done by those that understand the subject well.

The finest piece of advice in this thread is for this new member to beware McLovin's information and bravado, I unfortunately have been a witness to your history here, and have become an unwilling expert in your...

..."intelligence"?

Stick to OT.

Ok so my AC gauges just came in today. I will either buy harbor freight pump or look into renting one for vacuuming.

I need to figure out the 134A low side adapter. Does it go on the receiver/dryer or back of the compressor? The adapter acts as if it doesn’t want to thread onto my new ebay receiver/dryer low side

Thanks

Last edited:
Ok so my AC gauges just came in today. I will either buy harbor freight pump or look into renting one for vacuuming.

I need to figure out the 134A low side adapter. Does it go on the receiver/dryer or back of the compressor? The adapter acts as if it doesn?t want to thread onto my new ebay receiver/dryer low side

Thanks

It should thread onto the R/D. You could provide pics and we might be able to tell you if anything looks out of the ordinary.

It might also fit on the compressor threaded portion but that will be much harder to access

The drier may have a fitting for a low side SWITCH, not a service port.

Have you looked at the back of your compressor yet??

The drier may have a fitting for a low side SWITCH, not a service port.

Have you looked at the back of your compressor yet??

Yeah all the ones I?ve seen for a 1990 740 and 2 93' 240s have all had a low pressure switch and low side pressure port. Maybe some don?t.

Hey all I got the low side adapter placed on the R/D. There was a black cap in the low pressure adapter I guess just for protection :lol:

Anyway, so if I pass the vacuum test and begin the filling process what should my pressures be? Common numbers I've referenced are 30 for the low side and around 200 for the high side?

I need to figure out the 134A low side adapter. Does it go on the receiver/dryer or back of the compressor? The adapter acts as if it doesn?t want to thread onto my new ebay receiver/dryer low side

Thanks

Receiver. Stay away from compressor ports. The WM conversion kit fitting will thread & seal on your old R12 connection. Charge by weight once fully vacuumed; if you keep the air out you will have a nice cool system. Be sure to isolate your vac pump and ensure your vac reading does not move for 30 minutes; otherwise find your leaks and repeat

I also forgot to mention the expansion valve replacement?

There is little to anything available online. Could anyone give me some info in more detail?

I know the evaporator will have to be taken out to replace the expansion valve.

Don't know 'nutten about no '92 but my '82 has the expansion valve outside the HVAC system. Other systems I have seen have them under the hood.

My '82's valve was so filled with junk it couldn't have worked.

Back