• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

M-46 service

photoman327

Need to service the M-46 in my 84 242 and the book call for Type F or Type G. Call the dealer in Huntsville and they said Type G goes in the M-47 as well. Is the type G the mineral oil that you don't replace? Also where do you get a pan gasket or do I make my own? Car now has 144,000.

Greenbook says type F for M46.

That said, I've seen people run all kinds of fluids.

Redline makes a synthetic type F.

IPD sells pan gaskets, but I've always just made my own from a sheet of FelPro that I have. Easy-peasy.

I have heard that Type F, 10w30 or 10w40 will work.

I am running 10w40 and I noticed that the box shifted smoother.

Greenbook says type F for M46.

That said, I've seen people run all kinds of fluids.

Redline makes a synthetic type F.

IPD sells pan gaskets, but I've always just made my own from a sheet of FelPro that I have. Easy-peasy.

That's is what I did when I had the 86 740 m-46. May have some type G.

10-40 will work but check the specs of the right stuff and check that paint that has not been washed since I rubbed on it two weeks ago. Now for the rest of the car ! LOL

Got the redline MTL in and it half dozen in one hand and 6 in the other. Going to see if I still have a material data sheet on the Mobil 1. Now thinging Redline or Volvo type G since both designed for manual transmission and redline may be the choice for extended periods. Type F although recommended not nearly as good as the the three mentioned. My car now at 144,000, will get the good stuff since I can't build a M-46.

Rarely do I own a car long enough that I need to change it. :lol:
Orange car I did all fluids every track day.
Other than that, I like to change any oil when it starts changing colors. Usually WAY before the recommended intervals. Takes some watching and testing to figure out. Redline motor oil in my orange 242 would start changing color around the 1500 mile mark depending on how hard I had been driving it.

Well, I keep them until the cows come home. Part of my overdrive issue was low fluid. Measured what I drained out and it was only 1.6 qts.

Last edited:
Back