• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Estimate my build HP and suggest a boost level

maxitoman007

Ok so here is my mods list, I'm hoping someone can shed light on how much ho I can expect and how much boost I should run (planning on bypassing the overboost switch).

- Car is 1987 740 Turbo wagon with almost exactly 300 000 km
- upgraded to 13mm rods
- new rod bearings
- new piston rings
- cylinder ridges reamed
- cylinders re-honed using ball hone
- new head gasket
- head resurfaced
- carbon deposits in head cleaned out
- valves re seated
- replaced valve stem seals
- replaced valve hushers
- reshimed head (T cam)
- new front cam seal
- new valve cover seal
- upgraded injectors (brand new browntops)
- new intake manifold gasket
- upgraded intercooler (31x12x3)
- cone filter intake with bottom of intake area cut out or bent down for more air flow
- ebay turbo exhaust header (flange flipped)
- Almost new Garrett T3/T4 60AR intake 63AR exhaust turbo (rebuilt)
- upgraded oil braided steel turbo oil feed line
- new exhaust manifold gasket
- replaced exhaust manifold studs
- t3 to t3 wastegate adapter plate
- Turbonetics external wastegate
- wastegate dump to atmosphere out hood
- 2.5 inch exhaust out hood off turbo
- Greddy E-01 electronic boost controller
- prosport evo wideband
- autometer C2 boost gauge (only goes to 20 psi but EBC screen also had boost gauge)
- over boost switch bypassed
- amm and idle set for new injectors
- new spark plugs (NGK 7es)
- throttle body cleaned with new gasket
- flame trap/ PCV box cleaned
- Greddy catch can
- new oil pan gasket
- synthetic oil (Mobil one)
- 94 octane (with ethanol...) or shell 91
- new coolant
- new power steering fluid
- new coolant temp sensor
- POSSIBLY (Greddy type RS BOV) (heard it creates issues due to blow off of air measured already by the AMM)
- possibly adjusted ignition timing (will have to look into this more)

I think that's it. So what do you guys think I can expect. Anything crucial I forgot to do? Also how will I know when to stop upping the boost? I know I have to stop before I get detonation but I have no clue what that sounds like/how you know you've hit it. Also I know not to run lean (wideband should help with that (is there a number I should be aiming for? Stoich?). I've heard of guys running from 15psi all the way up to like 30 so I just don't know. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Hopes and dreams + Turbobricks reality check = crushed

Just going by your title we can't guess your hp level with out knowing how much boost you are running. It looks mostly stock ish except the slightly bigger turbo, slightly better intercooler and the ebay header. So 160hp (stock) plus 10hp for every psi of boost over stock. Maybe another 10-20 or so for the turbo/intercooler/header.

Totally forgot this was hoodpipe guy.

Can afford to tear a motor down. Can?t afford to hack together a proper exhaust.

Hard to take this thread seriously.

So...you have a stock stage 0 block with bigger rods, slightly larger injectors, header, IC, and turbo? What engine management?
Stock 7psi I would guess maybe 180.

You'll do better to find one helpful experienced individual to talk to than you will starting threads that just **** on you

Before doing any raised boost on your engine. You should run stockish boost and get your fresh engine worn in a bit. Spend the time adding in a wideband to help you monitor it.

Back