• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New owner '96 964, Is stock ECU tunable?

HiSPL

Fanking Champion 1993
Hey all. Got my first brick yesterday! A 96 960 sedan with the B6304. It's got over 252k miles on it, but the owners manual shows dealer service stamps for the first 150k miles! Engine runs very very smooth and quiet. Very little smoke from dipstick but will be cleaning PCV asap. Also smokes from exhaust after idling. Will probably need valve guides too.

Anyway, I'd like to build this as a DD and keep it NA. I'm planning: headers, full exhaust without a Cat. Modifying oem airbox for CAI, and maybe the early cams. That will be all of the "performance" mods I do to this car. What I want to know is, can the factory ecu be tuned? Or does it have to be converted to an aftermarket ecu to do any tuning? Since I'm not boosting, I am hoping to find a few more HP with a dyno/tune session. I'd also like to be able to "degree" the cams.

I've searched, but the only info I can find is people converting to megasquirt or the like. Is the factory ecu non-flashable? Or is just because so many people go the +T route that they need aftermarket computers?

Thanks!

I forgot to mention, My preference is to pull all of the emissions stuff from the car as well. There is no emission testing where I live. I'd like to lighten up, and clean up that engine bay! I'd like to tune out the CEL's that would cause....

Should be tunable: http://m44.wikia.com/wiki/M44_Wiki

They have lots of good possibilities for the 5-cylinder ECU's.

Assuming your car has M4.4.

My plan is to use M4.4 on a T6 engine but that will take a while before the engine is assembled and in a car..

Sweet Titties.

I have been googling with this info. It seems that the M4.4 was brought about to comply with OBD2 compliance. Since my car is OBD2 (I've been using the Torque app already) I can be reasonably sure that it is a M4.4, right?

Awesome. I'm gonna start logging my MAF sensor and looking at befores and afters while modding the airbox!

Yep: M4.4

...I can be reasonably sure that it is a M4.4, right?

Hi and yes, it's an M4.4!

I'm driving a '96 960-2 2.5 over here in Europe and recently started thinking about seriously looking into TunerPro myself, since 'nobody' is tuning stock 960-ECUs. Only thing (for a start) I'd like to have is more power below 2500/3000rpm, above that there's enough for me. Started a discussion over here about changing to a larger throttle body to see what that does; already have a BMC style air filter box. Recorded some drives with DashCommand which, as an indication of course (depends on the correct parameters you fill in), still gave me 165 ponys under the hood, air flow 139 g/sec @ 6500rpm:

Dashcommandmaxpower_zps7b85f9d3.jpg

Been wanting to run a real dyno for years and happened to find out yesterday that there is a guy just like 6km's away ;-), who is seriously working with dragrace bikes and has got his own dyno :oogle:!!!

So, yes: it's M4.4. Let's keep in contact...

You will need a flash file (.bin) formatted for use in TunerPro; and an ADX and XDF files to read and display the data in the bin appropriately. There may already be one converted, since the COP data was used for the T5 COP conversion. Look through the m44 wikia.

You will need to build the harness adaptor for flashing the ECU insitu, and the listed VAG-COM cable for data logging on a laptop

So, go do some reading :)

Thanks Dree!

Since this is my first day of ownership, I'm still working on a stage 0 tune. Once I get there, I will start messing with the tuner. Luckily, there is a dyno shop in my town.

As far as why to delete the emissions crap. 75% of the time when something goes wrong, it's emissions related. Sometimes, this leads to broken stuff in the engine. Also, you cause more global warming mowing your yard with a mower than driving to work in your modern I6. Plus, engines are supposed to smell. Smells like victory.

I would run a cat regardless. The SAS stuff you can take or leave, Its not really gonna gain you much power either way.

If you are going to redo the exhaust, there is no harm in running a high flow cat.

Might ask KLR142 if he ever had any success with the tunerpro route. Its doable with enough determination. I saw a few other names I recognized on ecuproject.com, someone's bound to have been silly enough to do this already

Back