• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T5 swap, all you need to know

hi, im fairly new to this forum. i've recently aquired my first volvo, a 86 244 dl. in the short time that i've had it i have really enjoyed driving and working on it. the only thing that i want to change about it is the transmision, and the T5 seems to be the way to go. could any one tell me what to buget for to do this swap?

$700 & up Depending on where you buy the trans from- prices vary greatly- from $75 from a U-Pull, to $1300 for a brand new unit- Average price for a good used T5 is about $300

I did not read all the threads so I do not know if this has been mentioned, if it has take it as a conformation. Being that I own a Mustang and worked around Camaro's as well I can give some info.

83-93 V8 Mustangs with the T5 have the same length input shaft with 10 spline. The 94-95 Mustang V8 has a longer input shaft. The strongest Mustang T5's are 90-93. If you decide to use a 4cyl T5 the input shaft for the pilot bearing is smaller. What Mustang guys do to put a 4cyl trans in a V8 was to use a 89 Ford Probe Turbo pilot bronze bushing which fill fit right in the crank of a 302 and has the same diameter as the 4cyl input shaft. I can't remember but someone mentioned the Mustang V8 pilot bearing is the same dimension as a whiteblock or was it the red block? Either way now you can use the 4 cyl trans instead of the V8.

The 4cyl trans will hold up to a STOCK Mustang V8 for a reasonable amount of time if you do not use slicks. The 4cyl trans has a steep first gear than that of a V8 T5. Shifters will swap and so does pretty much everything else. So if you need to use a 4 cyl trans you can.

Camaro T5's are not that strong as the Mustang V8 T5. You can compare the Camaro V8 T5 to a Mustang 4cyl T5 trans. Camaro T5's use different shifters and will not swap with Mustang T5's. The input splines are 26 vs the Mustangs 10. The two trans are not the same in length as well. Internal parts don't exactly swap either and I think the input shaft is a different length as well. If all possible stay away from Camaro T5's or any GM T5's since GM never had them "beefed" up when they put them behind a V8 like Ford did.

I believe someone mentioned a 300ZX T5. My friend has an 87 300zx non-turbo with T5. Mustang Shifters are a direct swap. These trans have similar dimensions as the Mustang V8 T5. I believe it has the same input length as well but I'am not 100% sure. The turbo 300zx 84-89 believe are the same T5.

Here is some links for info on Mustang T5's:

http://www.5speeds.com/t5/
http://www.mustanggt.org/gttranny.htm
http://ddperformance.com/Trans ID chart.htm

GM:

http://www.inliners.org/Jack/t5_page.html
http://www.garage-scene.com/t5-into-ag-body/t5_install_identifying.htm

James

James your info is only partly correct. What you are talking about with the weak GM T-5 is the difference between the World Class and Non-World Class. Ford only used the NWC for a few short years, then made the WC the standard. While GM used the NWC for many years, until around 89, then they began using the WC version with V8s and standardized it by 90 or 91. All of the GM T-5s use a steel input shaft bearing retainer as opposed to Ford using an aluminum one, with steel being an aftermarket upgrade or only on the T-5 Crobra trans. Also, at least according to all the production numbers I've got, all GM V8 T-5s came with a 2.95 first gear. Parts are interchangeable between trans types(ie: GM, Nissan, Isuzu, Ford, etc parts will all swap if the donors are all WC or all NWC types.) You can't mix WC and NWC parts, well on some stuff you can but that requires machining and it's another story completely.

So don't discount the GM T-5 yet. It just takes a little more work to find the right one, they weren't as nice as Ford was about giving up strength. But as 4th gen F-bodies are starting to pop up more in the wrecking yards the V6 T-5 would be one of the best picks for us. It's got a 3.35 first gear and a .78 OD, someone would just need to start making adapters for them. With the shorter input shafts and different bolt pattern it's more involved than the standard Ford T-5 adapter. But I think GM did finally go away from the butterfly pattern in the fourth gens, I could be wrong though it's way early.

James your info is only partly correct. What you are talking about with the weak GM T-5 is the difference between the World Class and Non-World Class. Ford only used the NWC for a few short years, then made the WC the standard. While GM used the NWC for many years, until around 89, then they began using the WC version with V8s and standardized it by 90 or 91. All of the GM T-5s use a steel input shaft bearing retainer as opposed to Ford using an aluminum one, with steel being an aftermarket upgrade or only on the T-5 Crobra trans. Also, at least according to all the production numbers I've got, all GM V8 T-5s came with a 2.95 first gear. Parts are interchangeable between trans types(ie: GM, Nissan, Isuzu, Ford, etc parts will all swap if the donors are all WC or all NWC types.) You can't mix WC and NWC parts, well on some stuff you can but that requires machining and it's another story completely.

So don't discount the GM T-5 yet. It just takes a little more work to find the right one, they weren't as nice as Ford was about giving up strength. But as 4th gen F-bodies are starting to pop up more in the wrecking yards the V6 T-5 would be one of the best picks for us. It's got a 3.35 first gear and a .78 OD, someone would just need to start making adapters for them. With the shorter input shafts and different bolt pattern it's more involved than the standard Ford T-5 adapter. But I think GM did finally go away from the butterfly pattern in the fourth gens, I could be wrong though it's way early.

Most GM vehicles have the NWC trans in them. I have seen them behind the V8 in an 90 Camaro but I'am not 100% sure it was the original trans. Plus Mustang T5 has more aftermarket support.

James

I hate bumping old threads - what is the p/n of the napa speedo cable?
edit: and which speedo drive gear do I need for 3.73?

I asked a few n00b questions and got some good answers on identifying T5's from the salvage yard/pick'n pull. Those ID numbers on the housing can be misleading if it's been rebuilt. Need to be able to tell the difference between WC and NWC along with how to get the gear ratios from checking out the internals. Thread here

So I am new, I have a question about the 300zx transmission, so I have a 90 mustang 5.0 and the second gear and third gear have teeth missing from the gears...but I have a 300zx transmission...with all that bolt up, with I need anything...do I use my bell housing...thanks guys

^^^ this is a volvo site haha, the info contained here is for swapping the t5 out of a v8 mustang into a volvo.

i have a volvo with a turbo ford 5.0 in it but i went with the automatic precisely because i don't want to deal with what you have going on.

your best bet is to find another t5 or upgrade... i have never heard of a 300zx trans adapter for a mustang but i also haven't been keeping up on it.

are you a member of www.corral.net? they are the best mustang resource forum out there in my opinion... if you join, surely someone will have the answer for you.

You Should Have Pulled Further Off The Highway

You should have pulled further off the road. Passing traffic is way too close to your priceless Volvo. Sorry it was sooss hot. JUST KIDDING! Lots of posts regarding the proper I.D. of your T5. You want to be sures what you have. Lots of different models.

About the only way to be sure is to take it completely apart and check all the major parts. I bought a T5 (cheap) only to find that it was NOT a "world class" (whatever that actually means) but only a wide ratio for a Turbo 4 Mustang.

Also...for whatever it is worth, (nothing!) even the desirable HD T5's have a very good 1st thru 4th gear sets (a progressive drop) BUT 5th gear is a high OD and miles apart from 4th gear. The 4 to 5 shift really drops the rpms. Some don't like that.

However....if you have lots of $$$, (which I don't) Richmond Gear makes a very cool street 6-speed for about $3000 bucks delivered from Summit Racing. I nearly bought one for my 1978 242GT/L33 project. 3.27, 2.13, 1.57, 1.23, 1.00, .84. Good luck. :) :) :)

This is my post for future searchage for people in the same situation. I'm adapting a 4cyl T5 to a b230f with an m40 bellhousing (upright orientation) for insertion in my '73 142.

I had an issue with the input shaft length of my 4cyl T5 being 7.41 as opposed to the preferred 7.18". I had stuck the transmission on the engine and it did bottom out before the bell housing mated. I actually had a 7.18 input shaft sitting around but alas the first? gear on the shaft was larger than that of the 4cyl shaft. So after a ridiculous amount of searching and no answer found, I took matters into my own hands and those of the chop saw. I took about .25" off the tip of the 4cyl input shaft and slapped it all together and it bolted up and verified that the 10 input shaft splines do not bind with the throw out bearing (when I put the tranny in gear and spin the output shaft, no clutch installed), which was a worry.

Am I dumb? Has this been covered before? All I saw on v-performance was mention that the pilot bearing was the same diameter of the 4cyl T5s. The other option was to space the adapter out .25" but that seemed like a lot of work lol I'm lazy. Now I just need to find a new input bearing retainer that doesn't exist!

Back