• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volv Rex Regina ECU Chippable?

Does anyone have a 1991-1993 Rex Regina ECU they can open up so we can see if the information about it having an external rom or the motorola 68701 can be confirmed? I wont be able to get one for another week or so.

My new to me 92 740 is a Regina car,and since I haven't started driving it yet would be happy to open it up. I'll send you pics as I don't know what to look for.

My new to me 92 740 is a Regina car,and since I haven't started driving it yet would be happy to open it up. I'll send you pics as I don't know what to look for.

You rock!

Thanks so much! :D Just look at the pictures I posted above and send about the same

Also, from the French Renault forums, I was sent this link: (just use chrome and translate)

http://pquillon.chez-alice.fr/Index/monlabo.htm

Lots of great info on here

Another thought I had to assist with timing under boost was to use the ignition module from a renault turbo vehicle. They have a vacuum tap on the module that I believe is to assist with ignition retard under boost and advance under vacuum

s-l1600.jpg

you opened it up and it had the same motorola chip?

I didn't but did just now and the numbers on the chip are different.should I take pics then?
If yes then send me a pm with your contact info as I don't know how to post pics.also should I remove the board from case to see the backside?

I didn't but did just now and the numbers on the chip are different.should I take pics then?
If yes then send me a pm with your contact info as I don't know how to post pics.also should I remove the board from case to see the backside?

Yes please do!

I will send a pm right now. Take pictures of the front and rear of the board, and close ups of the chip part #s.

Turns out you have the same ecu as I do with the same motorola chip. Ill be checking out some ecus at the junkyard friday and will report back

My best guess for the ignition box is:

The ZC98902VP is another custom (mask rom) Motorola processor (VP=automotive rated 28-pin plastic pkg), probably a 6804 or 6805 family due to the smaller pincount (28 versus 40).

Based on the Fenix paper, the STMicro TSG4801AP (?) is a custom digital chip needed to decode the flywheel pattern.

One of the two 8-pin DIP chips might be a small serial PROM or EEPROM, to contain the key ignition map parameters. I'd try tracing the PCB wires between the processor and the 8-pin chips to see if they match up with a serial I2C or SPI interface (say clock, data, chip select).

Is it the ST chip that I need to take out and read? What is that ST chip?

My best guess for the ignition box is:

The ZC98902VP is another custom (mask rom) Motorola processor (VP=automotive rated 28-pin plastic pkg), probably a 6804 or 6805 family due to the smaller pincount (28 versus 40).

Based on the Fenix paper, the STMicro TSG4801AP (?) is a custom digital chip needed to decode the flywheel pattern.

One of the two 8-pin DIP chips might be a small serial PROM or EEPROM, to contain the key ignition map parameters. I'd try tracing the PCB wires between the processor and the 8-pin chips to see if they match up with a serial I2C or SPI interface (say clock, data, chip select).

Thanks so much for your assistance guys! I know this is a proof of concept but no matter what results in the end, it will never be a debate or questioned again. :)

A couple more useful tidbits:

There's excerpts from a Volvo Greenbook that describe Rex/Regina in detail at:
https://people.ohio.edu/ridgely/Volvo_docs/

This includes full pinout and signal description charts on pages 28-34 (like the LH2.4 and EZK charts at ipdown, but for regina/rex). Rex provides a RPM/Tach signal to Regina; Regina provides a Load signal to Rex. Unlike LH2.4/EZK116, I didn't see a Rex to Regina Knock enrichment signal.

For Renault/Fenix, there's a good description of the fuel and ignition tables at:
http://www.fenixecu.com/injection-fenix/cartographie?showall=1

The SAE paper on Fenix I describes the option of putting all the tables in an external PROM. If the 8-pin DIP chip shown in the board pictures is that PROM, then there's hope that the tables could be modified. The owner of fenixecu.com is the user "Manu" on the MegaSquirt forums (msextra.com/forums). He seems to be pretty active there, and writes in both English and French. Maybe you can contact him, show him the rex/regina board pictures, and ask if the 8-pin DIP chips are PROMs?

A couple more useful tidbits:

This includes full pinout and signal description charts on pages 28-34 (like the LH2.4 and EZK charts at ipdown, but for regina/rex). Rex provides a RPM/Tach signal to Regina; Regina provides a Load signal to Rex. Unlike LH2.4/EZK116, I didn't see a Rex to Regina Knock enrichment signal.

For Renault/Fenix, there's a good description of the fuel and ignition tables at:
http://www.fenixecu.com/injection-fenix/cartographie?showall=1

The SAE paper on Fenix I describes the option of putting all the tables in an external PROM. If the 8-pin DIP chip shown in the board pictures is that PROM, then there's hope that the tables could be modified. The owner of fenixecu.com is the user "Manu" on the MegaSquirt forums (msextra.com/forums). He seems to be pretty active there, and writes in both English and French. Maybe you can contact him, show him the rex/regina board pictures, and ask if the 8-pin DIP chips are PROMs?

Thats funny you mention Manu, I have a thread on the megasquirt.fr page and he has been the primary assistance.

Link to my thread:

https://forum.megasquirt.fr/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=855&p=7779#p7779

Anyone heard of (or seen?) a Regina programmer? There's a piece of hardware that could be had at the dealership(?) level that could reprogram Regina brains. At least there's a green book for the hardware.

Consequently, Regina brains are (as Tom Hanks would say) like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're going to get. I've seen the same ECU part numbers across a relatively wide range of model years.

That was on the old university server. I should still have a PDF if anyone wants it. I also now have Rex and Regina green books that I'd like to scan.

I've not kept up with Regina findings on the internet since I put a B234/AW72 in my Regina 1991 745 a decade ago. Still have the car, but I but went 8-valve again.

-Ryan

Back