home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 06-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #76
CAPT_BLOTTO
#Crush It

Thank you Kenny for spending your time to show actual data. Despite some morons who want to nit pick and put down your info I found it very valuable to start to quantify this.

Junkyard Parts request thread!
Mesquite FB page! Constant updates!

Da Yellow Sold | $800 245 | 77 244
CAPT_BLOTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:09 AM   #77
JohnLane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
First one I saw was on a Lexus SC400
Those were all about quiet operation. Quiet, effective, no babysitting. Toyota gave that one enough radiator capacity which helps.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #78
James10952001
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryJS8 View Post
Not all ECUs support an e-fan, so grab one from a doner that has one installed from the factory. Forget swapping chips and just swap the whole ECU. As long as the engine is the same and the 940 didn't have an immobilizer installed it should work out just fine. AFAIK, If there was an immobilizer installed, then you'll have to get a chip burned to replace the onboard one. That's what I did for my project 740 (see signature) with a 984 ECU, works great with the computer controlled fan.

You'll need to populate pins 10 and 11 on the harness to run a wire to the low and high speed relays on the fan, but it's simple, easy and avoids hacking radiator hoses to install thermal switches.

A list of ECUs with information on motors and if it has an immobilizer can be found here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=84817
Replacing the whole ECU is not something I particularly want to do since I've already got a spare that's the same as the one in the car. I can burn EPROMs and populating the connector is no problem but if the actual ECU hardware is different I'll probably just keep the mechanical fan.
James10952001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #79
Marvelous3
Who engineered this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT_BLOTTO View Post
Thank you Kenny for spending your time to show actual data. Despite some morons who want to nit pick and put down your info I found it very valuable to start to quantify this.
+1!

1990 240dl Kaplhenke Coilover Daily
1991 245+16 Valve Turbo Microsquirt
Need Hyundai or Genesis parts? PM me for Genuine Hyundai or Genesis parts
Marvelous3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #80
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Definitely thank you for taking the time to do the dyno pulls! It'll be really cool to see the gains as you get the car back to running well in stock form, and beyond.

The 240 rally car sees a lot of high revs and sideways action, so air is not always going into the radiator, and the tropical clutch is almost always engaged by the end of a stage (who knows when it kicks on). So for us, the power loss from a fully locked up fan at 4k-7.5k rpm is actually of interest. The good news about that setup is that we have never seen temps over 200F on stage.

I just installed a shrouded e-fan from a 9 series and used the thermo switch in the radiator as well as a switch inside. Heading to one of the hottest rallies we do every year this weekend, will report back on how the system worked.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #81
JohnLane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
Definitely thank you for taking the time to do the dyno pulls! It'll be really cool to see the gains as you get the car back to running well in stock form, and beyond.

The 240 rally car sees a lot of high revs and sideways action, so air is not always going into the radiator, and the tropical clutch is almost always engaged by the end of a stage (who knows when it kicks on). So for us, the power loss from a fully locked up fan at 4k-7.5k rpm is actually of interest. The good news about that setup is that we have never seen temps over 200F on stage.

I just installed a shrouded e-fan from a 9 series and used the thermo switch in the radiator as well as a switch inside. Heading to one of the hottest rallies we do every year this weekend, will report back on how the system worked.
You sir are in need of more radiator capacity.
Aftermarket aluminum radiators can be purchased by core size, by application... Made up however you like. Another 3-5 pounds in a big aluminum radiator is well worth the effort when the engine stays cool regardless of savagery on the part of the driver.

I did this in the rallycar. Temp gauge never climbs.
JohnLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #82
KeizerBrickGuy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLane View Post
Aftermarket aluminum radiators can be purchased by core size, by application... Made up however you like. Another 3-5 pounds in a big aluminum radiator is well worth the effort when the engine stays cool regardless of savagery on the part of the driver.

Agreed. Mishimoto would is a go-to for aftermarket aluminum radiators for me. They have fantastic build quality, not to mention a kick ass warranty that covers front end collision.
#mclovethesenuts

-My car: White 1991 244, 308k miles. B230F LH2.4, AW70, R134a retro. Thrush glasspack, anthracite refinished Coronas
-Wife's car: White 1990 244DL, T cam, 190k miles.B230F LH2.4, AW70 w/aux cooler, Duracool AC, purple refinished Virgos, tow hitch, ipd wagon overload springs.
-PSM 2002 Subaru WRX wagon: 120k miles, Perrin TBE, Perrin turbo inlet, intake, and Y-pipe, GrimmSpeed cross pipe.
Rebuilding EJ207 shortblock to swap in this summer.
KeizerBrickGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #83
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLane View Post

I wouldn't say it needs more capacity. The system works just fine as it is with a stock fan shroud and tropical fan clutch, since it never sees the temps over 180-190F and the needle is steady.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #84
thismachine13
Board Member

Quote:
I wouldn't say it needs more capacity. The system works just fine as it is with a stock fan shroud and tropical fan clutch, since it never sees the temps over 180-190F and the needle is steady.
Out of curiosity....why did you decide to switch to an efan? Noise? Engine bay space? Seriously curious.
thismachine13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #85
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismachine13 View Post
Out of curiosity....why did you decide to switch to an efan? Noise? Engine bay space? Seriously curious.
The added space is a bonus, but it comes down to being able to control the fan.
The mechanical fan definitely does work, but it's likely overkill and we have no clue how often it's actually on.
The e-fan will use less power when it's on, and we can control when it's on and off... which may be more often than the mechanical fan... but who knows?
Old 06-06-2017, 04:22 PM   #86
thismachine13
Board Member

Thank you.
thismachine13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #87
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Update on the efan:
It worked great all weekend at the rally race. We never had to over-ride the stock temp switch, and the coolant temps never got over 195F-ish while on stage. Ambient temps were from 60-80F.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #88
gross polluter
They see me trollin'

Quote:
Update on the efan:
It worked great all weekend at the rally race. We never had to over-ride the stock temp switch, and the coolant temps never got over 195F-ish while on stage. Ambient temps were from 60-80F.
This didn't happen to be the Idaho race, was it?

1968 Furd Rustang fastberk | 2JZGTE VVTi | MS3X ECU | PT6776S | 4L80e Microsquirt TCU Sloppy Transbrake | 3.73 8.8" rear end

1981 Piper Cherokee Archer II | All stock

Last edited by gross polluter; 06-13-2017 at 05:21 PM..
gross polluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #89
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by gross polluter View Post
This didn't happen to be the Idaho race, was it?
Yep!
Old 06-13-2017, 09:59 PM   #90
gross polluter
They see me trollin'

Quote:
Yep!
Cool. My sister was racing her E30 there this past weekend. Looked like good times.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:31 PM   #91
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by gross polluter View Post
Cool. My sister was racing her E30 there this past weekend. Looked like good times.
She was navi for Eli? If so, I met her at Olympus when she was navigating for Rebecca. Small world!
Old 06-13-2017, 10:32 PM   #92
gross polluter
They see me trollin'

Quote:
She was navi for Eli? If so, I met her at Olympus when she was navigating for Rebecca. Small world!
Yep! Shannon is my lil' sis.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:10 PM   #93
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Isn't the real story that you should spend money on other performance improvements?

Then if you can't leave well enough alone or you want a quieter fan so you can hear more turbo noise. Go for the efan.

Just my thought. Myself I have not changed any of my cars But I am not against using electric fans. I like adding the extra pusher in front. It helps the a/c work a bit better in the hottest part of the summer. Added that to the 82 turbo when it had working a/c.
1982 242 turbo. MVP coilover front and rear adjustable suspension. Bilstein HD. IPD 25/25 bars. 3" rusty MVP exhaust. Cosworth Sierra hot side T3 .48 with upgraded stock .42 compressor. Ported 90+. D&F Performance flowed 405 with enem V15 turbo cam, Clanky worn True Track diff. Flat hood 1979 242 front.

1993 245 Classic, 411k miles, enem V15. 5spd. IPD bars and chassis braces. New Simons sport exhaust from Scandix.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote