• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kyle's RWD Experience, '84 242 TI

The car is now officially rust free!! Yay! Got the seat pan welded back in and painted black to match the floor, sealed everything up underneath as well. My left buttcheek was crushed up and rusty, and after I beat it back into shape with a 4x4 and a hammer it had a couple holes in it, so I got those welded up as well. The seats and floor vents are back in for good now, feels good to have a rust free 242. Plugged the egr pipes on the head as well, Ill remove them completely when I turbo the car. Glad to have the floor fixed, progress at last.

updates, trans is in, springs cut, floor fixed and painted
242123.jpg

new clutch
242128.jpg

242129.jpg

seat pan back in
242126.jpg

242130.jpg

I took out 3 in the front and 2 in the rear, no a/c. Itll go lower when I get coilovers obviously, but im not running it jacked in the air. I dont want to go lower with stock struts.

Damn Kyle, You're putting many of our project car threads to shame.
Keep up the good work, I'd like to see this one at SE in October.

yeah seriously, keep kicking it, you make todd look slack as all getout :lol:
speaking of which, todd, when are we gonna finish your car?

Thanks guys
Yeah todd it will be running by then im sure hell it may even be turbo by then, it may even run for carlisle, but if it does i prob wont be driving it up. Idk, its not going to be comfortable at all, i need to fix the drivers lumbar support.
I dont have any scheduling conflicts for SE this year, hopefully when it gets closer ill have some cash saved up to go.

Next thing on the list is a megasquirt harness, then it will be well on its way to working, mechanically everything is a-ok, and I already have a megasquirt.

Lots of progress has been made. Bought a harness from diyautotune.com along with a GM IAT sensor and a serial cable. Man that harness is nice! Metal connector, labled wires, makes it a breeze. Got almost all of megasquirt wired in, only have to get the O2 and TPS wired in. Also put everything back together mechanically as well. The temporary plan is to run N/A for a while with the k-jet ignition box. This setup is only temporary though, im going with the trusty saab 139 after that and a turbo of some flavor. The car has been sitting for so long i need to get it rolling before i do anything too serious to see what other gremlins i have to chase that i may have missed. Hope to have it running VERY soon, within a few weeks or so. My megasquirt works good and its communicating nicely with my D830. Its a v2.2 MSNS-Extra that came with the car, it'll work just fine for a while.

Things left to do/get:
intake gasket
plug wires
throttle spool
throttle cable
wire TPS & O2
pull out evaporator and re-install dash
weld up the exhaust
insulate wiring
hook up all the stuff on the intake, its just sitting up there for reference for wiring
install fuel rail, injectors should be here any day
tune

Heres what the engine bay looks like as of right now:
242132.jpg

Im going to insulate and route those wires under the strut tower etc. This is just to keep everything accesible until it runs.

On a side note my B230 from the pull a part just had a volvo timing belt installed like 20K ago. WIN!! Just put new covers on the front of it. I have a k-cam I may throw in as well just for the hell of it.

Last edited:
Going to bring it to SE? Nothing like a long road trip to test the car. If Asher made it with his 242 from NC, I'm sure you can too.

Yeah im not coming to SE in the S70 again this year. Its uber comfortable, but this just fits sooooo much better. Plus im not going to pass up actually having a brick at a turbobricks meet for the first time lol.

Got the rest of megasquirt wired in this weekend.
Got the starting system all straightened out as well, it turns over nicely. Also machined a bracket to adapt the 850 TPS to the B230 throttle body. It was a pita, but it looks nice and functions well, no problem with calibration. Also pulled a throttle cable and spool at the pull a part this week and threw that on.
All that should be left is the fuel system! Ive got a bunch of nasty 10 year old gas in it i need to syphon out as best i can, run a new line from the pump to the filter, and throw in some injectors and a FPR. After that it should be ready for first start.

Ive got a bunch of nasty 10 year old gas in it i need to syphon out as best i can, run a new line from the pump to the filter, and throw in some injectors and a FPR. After that it should be ready for first start.
Check for a plug in the tank. I know I've seen gas drained from a 240 tank.

Yeah i think there is a phillips head screw in there, I was just worried about it sealing back up after I took it out.

242133.jpg

pedobear!

Also can someone give me a hand on how to use easytherm? The megamanual gives a rough overview and I seem to read on the msefi forums that there are some files that need to be copied too? I have my resistances but as to actually getting them to megasquirt im lost.

you're not using a gm temp sensor? mine just worked off the bat(even when nothing else did)

i'm moving back to warren county this week(with my 83 245t with ms), were you close to there?

Back