• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Help Troubleshooting Cluster Temp Gauge

LBM240Wagon

After a broken alternator belt last week (no water pump), and the electric fan the PO put in crapping out on me this week, I figure its time to get serious on fixing the temp gauge (car is trying to tell me something). I did a few searches but didn't come up with much. Here is what

I know: ('92 240 non turbo)

1) sender in the block is present and connected (Is there a way to test this?)

2) All connections are correct behind the gauge cluster

3) While fixing my speedometer/odometer I did the temp faker mod (made no difference).

Is there a way to test the sender in the block? What other testing can I do before searching for a new gauge?

Thanks!

Disconnect the wire from the sender and ground that wire on a piece of metal somewhere with the key on. The gauge should read full hot then I believe. If it doesn't, the problem isn't the sender (the resistance to ground varies with the engine temperature). Its possible the gauge itself is just bad....

After a broken alternator belt last week (no water pump), and the electric fan the PO put in crapping out on me this week, I figure its time to get serious on fixing the temp gauge (car is trying to tell me something). I did a few searches but didn't come up with much. Here is what

I know: ('92 240 non turbo)

1) sender in the block is present and connected (Is there a way to test this?)

2) All connections are correct behind the gauge cluster

3) While fixing my speedometer/odometer I did the temp faker mod (made no difference).

Is there a way to test the sender in the block? What other testing can I do before searching for a new gauge?

Thanks!

helps if actually say what is wrong with gauge

Thanks for the resistance bands. I'll check that.

Gauge doesn't move... If I move it with my finger it stays in that location reguardless of key on/off or temperature.

It will be the compensation board. IpD sells them or just make a wire to jump the pins. It’s been a while but pins 3 & ?. Can’t remember the other one

pin 1 to pin 3 looking at the cluster with the speedo in front of you as I recall. Pin 1 all the way to the left. But I thought he mentioned doing this already.

I second that last suggestion that it is the gauge. The needle isn't supposed to stay in the spot you put it. The gauge comes out of the cluster with a couple of nuts. Easy to replace.

It will be the compensation board. IpD sells them or just make a wire to jump the pins. It’s been a while but pins 3 & ?. Can’t remember the other one

I take them out out on all of my clusters and put a jumper on the pins. Happy to send you a used one, but really recommend that you jumper the pins. I jumper 1 and 3 pins.

Disconnect the wire from the sender and ground that wire on a piece of metal somewhere with the key on. The gauge should read full hot then I believe. If it doesn't, the problem isn't the sender (the resistance to ground varies with the engine temperature). Its possible the gauge itself is just bad....

Finally got around to tinkering w/ this tonight. Grounded the sender wire to the battery and the gauged moved under its own power! I cleaned the contacts really well with some fine sandpaper, and will see what happens on my drive to work tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Back