home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 08-21-2020, 01:58 AM   #1
BeaverMeat
Board Member

Question check my wheel fitment

The Volstang needs fatter rubber and shorter tires... The original owner put 205/65r16s on it probably because Mustang guys told him "yo need sum 4.10 or 3.73 in dat car wit dat 5.0! You be faster off da line" and he found it was revving too high down the highway so he put taller tires on it. He just cruised around with the car and never raced it... I'm going to change it to a 3.31 or 3.54 and put small diameter tires on it... but I digress

Did some research and wanting some confirmation.

Stock 244 suspension (for now, will be lowered within reason eventually)

I am wanting to go with 225/50r16 rubber on 16x8 et20 wheels on all corners. I'm staying with the factory offset in the front as not to mess with the scrub radius. From what I gather it will fit fine.

Im also wanting to widen the rear track a la R-sport with 20mm spacers. Will that be an issue?

Thanks!
BeaverMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:56 AM   #2
GeneralBurrito
Board Member

You may have to trim the rear lips. I've read of people running 235s on the rear and they rub if lowered. So pushing them out 20mm will definitely rub.
GeneralBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:26 AM   #3
BeaverMeat
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralBurrito View Post
You may have to trim the rear lips. I've read of people running 235s on the rear and they rub if lowered. So pushing them out 20mm will definitely rub.
I messed up my calculations... 12mm spacer for a 8" wide wheel.

Depends on someones definition of "lowered". I'm not going "stance" or "hella-flush".

within the 1" to 2" range... probably 2" max. Just enough to lower the centre of gravity a-bit, make it look "sporty", and provide adequate ground clearance for daily use.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
GeneralBurrito
Board Member

You MIGHT be fine, but have a cutting wheel or dead blow hammer ready.
GeneralBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:15 PM   #5
2turbotoys
Astro Zombie

https://www.willtheyfit.com/ can help you figure it out.

I think you will be ok, I run 245/40-17 on the rear of a lowered 242 and that scrapes. Rims are 17x8. My offset is around 11, 32mm spacers with a 43mm offset. It scrapes the outer edge of the tread, I believe if they were 225s it would be fine. I did trim the inner edge of the wheel well though. Lowering it makes it worse as you know, the axle moves backwards. If I recentered the axle it would probably be fine.
I just don't carry any weight in the car and that helps a lot haha.

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 12:42 AM   #6
BeaverMeat
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
https://www.willtheyfit.com/ can help you figure it out.

I think you will be ok, I run 245/40-17 on the rear of a lowered 242 and that scrapes. Rims are 17x8. My offset is around 11, 32mm spacers with a 43mm offset. It scrapes the outer edge of the tread, I believe if they were 225s it would be fine. I did trim the inner edge of the wheel well though. Lowering it makes it worse as you know, the axle moves backwards. If I recentered the axle it would probably be fine.
I just don't carry any weight in the car and that helps a lot haha.
I've been rocking that calculator...

But... it look like I may need to run some bolt pattern adaptors/spacers. I have fought against the use of spacers for years with great success. Not that I think that are stupid or dangerous. Im just particular that way. This 5x108 bolt pattern really sucks for wheel options... and anything that I like that fits is usually old and hard to find or really expensive. I.E. I want Epsilons!

I guess the next question is who makes some quality bolt pattern adaptors?

Might have to stick with ET40 wheels all round with a 20mm spacer/adaptor front and 32mm rear to keep it simple.

EDIT:

I think a Mercedes 190 wheel setup will have to work. 5x108 to 5x112 adaptors. 15mm front, 25 rear should do the trick. Most aftermarket wheels for the 190 are ~ET35. I shooting for BBS RS077s

Last edited by BeaverMeat; 08-23-2020 at 02:57 AM..
Old 08-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #7
mooseturb
Board Member

If you are looking for quality adapters and/or spacers I got them from www.motorsport-tech.com. I got spacers for a C5 Corvette and hub-centric adapters made by them for several DDs. Easy to talk to and they will know what you are looking for. Wish I had an interest in the company, good reputation!!
mooseturb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 12:34 PM   #8
BeaverMeat
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseturb View Post
If you are looking for quality adapters and/or spacers I got them from www.motorsport-tech.com. I got spacers for a C5 Corvette and hub-centric adapters made by them for several DDs. Easy to talk to and they will know what you are looking for. Wish I had an interest in the company, good reputation!!
Perfect. This actually opens up some more options in sizes.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:14 PM   #9
lummert
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverMeat View Post
The Volstang needs fatter rubber and shorter tires... The original owner put 205/65r16s on it probably because Mustang guys told him "yo need sum 4.10 or 3.73 in dat car wit dat 5.0! You be faster off da line" and he found it was revving too high down the highway so he put taller tires on it. He just cruised around with the car and never raced it... I'm going to change it to a 3.31 or 3.54 and put small diameter tires on it... but I digress

Did some research and wanting some confirmation.

Stock 244 suspension (for now, will be lowered within reason eventually)

I am wanting to go with 225/50r16 rubber on 16x8 et20 wheels on all corners. I'm staying with the factory offset in the front as not to mess with the scrub radius. From what I gather it will fit fine.

Im also wanting to widen the rear track a la R-sport with 20mm spacers. Will that be an issue?

Thanks!
225 & 235 section width tires are usually on 7 inch wide rims.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:38 PM   #10
Wilford Brimley
Is posting from the grave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lummert View Post
My 225 on my vw are on 8.5
Wilford Brimley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:46 PM   #11
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

You may need a 5mm spacer up front. It will fit no problem in the rear. IF you want to space the rear by 20mm you will need to cut/fold the rear arches quite a bit. I had identical spec wheels in my car for a while.

225/50R16, 16x8"ET20, 5mm spacer up front, 20mm spacers in the rear:

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:50 PM   #12
BeaverMeat
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lummert View Post
Stiffen them side walls!

I can't recall that exact calculation and I'm relying memory but, for best results with a 4" sidewall you should have a rim that is roughly 3/4" to 1" narrower then the section width.

225mm = 8.86" is right on the money with an 8" wide rim as far as I know.