home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 10-14-2020, 04:54 PM   #1
arsenix
Board Member

Default Anyone rebuild Volvo brake boosters?

I have three J/Y brake boosters kicking around... ALL of them have slow vac leaks. From what I've seen of the internals of these the internal diaphragm is metal and probably lasts close to forever. There is a big o-ring around the outside that I assume is the one leaking... anyone ever pried up the crimps and pulled these apart to replace it? I've also been tempted to dry squirting a little gas around the outside to expand the o-ring and see if they will seal up.

Maybe not worth the time but I'm cheap

James
arsenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:17 AM   #2
VB242
F*ck 12

I saw some reman on advance auto

Booty Scooty
https://youtu.be/i4oAOZ8nbq4
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:54 AM   #3
esmth
Board Member

How common is the slow vac leak described here? I replaced the check valve, seal, (the $20 bosch one too )and hose to manifold to my booster and it still will not hold vac overnight. I too would like to know if these can be fixed easily
Old 10-15-2020, 12:02 PM   #4
arsenix
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmth View Post
How common is the slow vac leak described here? I replaced the check valve, seal, (the $20 bosch one too )and hose to manifold to my booster and it still will not hold vac overnight. I too would like to know if these can be fixed easily
For me... in CA... it seems UNIVERSAL! Maybe it is the dryness? I have five brake boosters kicking around (2 in cars). All five leak at various slow rates. Some leak down in an hour... some overnight. One of the cars was previously a NE resident for ten years and only started slow leaking until it moved here.

I know people replace the seals in boosters, just never seen it in Volvo. If I get a chance I'll just sacrifice one of my [leaking] spares and open it up.

The internals of these vary quite a bit though... some clearly have a lot more rubber parts than I thought. This Z-car thread has a full disassembly photo montage:
https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/...r-disassembly/

That is labeled as a Bendix unit. The Volvo ones may be different.
arsenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:26 PM   #5
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

The Volvo ones are Bendix branded on many of the cars I've worked on. I have a spare or two stashed and was thinking I may need to replace mine in my 93 wagon.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote