home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 09-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #251
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Made the spacer sleeves ('top hats") to properly center the end links in the swaybar

finished the two brackets

4.00:1 FD gear set came, so that will go in when I pull the drivetrain to do the head gasket

....and dropped the X off at the bodyshop to have them paint & blend the nose - I can't do that myself

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm Feedback Thread
lookforjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #252
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Finally got the car back from the bodyshop - pouring rain, but it's gonna be like this for days & I just want it home

Happy with the nose, the lines where I had to merge the planes came out OK

They did have to redo some of my work on top

spolier (modified S40 rear bumper cap)...

hopefully get it all back together over the next week or so

Old 10-15-2020, 10:20 PM   #253
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

More front end work needed - probably due to the accident, the r/f wheel bearing has play - makes for a very nasty crunchy feel to the steering & twitchy handling

press out hub

remove some bits, press out bearing

uses two v-ring seals similar to 240 -

new bearing going in

using a (Volvo) carrier bearing (32008x) race to finish pressing

reinstall the various seal plates & retainers, Torque spindle to 160ft/lb, done

Also found the left upper strut mount has deformed - which will mess with the camber, so I modded the Coil overs I made to take Ford Focus top mounts - still using the Kaplhenke 2.5" (Luxe Steer) spring seat from my V70 coilover setup & Volvo 700 pivot bearing (3530341)

this

replaces all this

just had to shave the ridges off the bearing to allow it to sit flush on the back of the strut mount

much cleaner

just have to redrill the top plate for the new mount

Last edited by lookforjoe; 10-19-2020 at 12:23 PM..
Old 10-18-2020, 09:08 PM   #254
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Started putting the nose back together, now that the suspension /steering work is resolved.

Got the 760 sway bar back in with the C30 end links, and SuperPro bushings (SPF1025-23K)

Drilled the strut towers for the Ford mounts

Last edited by lookforjoe; 10-18-2020 at 09:38 PM..
Old 10-24-2020, 09:57 PM   #255
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Got a K20Z3 (RBC-1) head - better flow than the RBB I have now. It is all nicely cleaned, decked & valve seats recut. Keeping the TSX cams & RBC gear limited to 40º. I'll swap it out when I drop the drivetrain to deal with the currently leaking HG, and install the 4:00 R&P.

Car went back to the bodyshop this week to fix a few small things that just weren't right. All good now.

Worked on the tape stripes and decals whilst the temps are still in the 60's - I cut the decals from 3M 1080 film - easier to deal with than old school vinyl for sure

Used a 3mm gold strip to even out the (hand) cut edge

S40 rear bumper cover worked out great for the spoiler :D

Last edited by lookforjoe; 10-28-2020 at 11:03 AM..
Old 10-30-2020, 10:49 PM   #256
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
Forgot - I also did this to my C30 over the summer

This past summer I added a VW - based Haldex controller - had to use a VW Gen2 DEM for it to interface.

had to make a harness that would interface with the module/factory wiring

installed in pass rear seat well

VW DEM replacing the Volvo unit

Uses a BT app on my phone

After much back & forth through mechanical and software issues, I now have full control over the AWD torque split - I can go from 50/50 down to 90/10

They are developing a version that will work with the Volvo DEM, now that I have worked with him on extracting all the Volvo CAN inputs needed for brake, steering angle, reverse, speed, etc.

using CAN Analyzer to figure out the inputs

With the CAN inputs working, I can set the parameters for disengagement when parking, turning corners at low speed, etc., that will normally cause axle bind with a locked diff.

Very happy it is figured out before the winter weather begins in ernest!

Put a Quaife QDF 11J in a spare rear diff I bought, so that can go in now I know the AWD is fully functional

Old 11-11-2020, 10:10 PM   #257
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Removed the electronics & the exhaust

dropped the drivetrain, or more accurately, lifted the body off it

cut off the remnants of the water pipe tunnel & removed the damaged water pipes

Made a replacement (removable ) cover from the cover cut from my parts car

primed, caulked & painted the inner tunnel

Fixed the broken AC compressor ear

pulled the head off today

pretty sure the reason for the HG leak lies with the liners there is a discernible ridge between 4&3 and 3&2 - I can feel it with my fingernail, so must be at least .005"

The block was decked 600 miles ago when I had the bore & hone to take care of the rust in #4 cylinder.

my whiteblock decking for comparison - pretty sure the Honda block should be equally flat

Old 11-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #258
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

So turns out it's not as dire as I imagined - spoke with the machine shop, and he lent me one of the certified flat bar stock they use for final decking. I went over the block with 180 emery liberally lubricated with wd40 (after blocking off all the oil & water ports) and was able to get the ridges gone without any drama, just about 1/2 hour - 45 mins work. Should be able to assemble the motor after work tomorrow, I hope

Old 11-12-2020, 10:14 PM   #259
2 old for this
Board Member

Your 4x4x4x4 jack extension looks like a death trap!!
2 old for this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #260
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 old for this View Post
Your 4x4x4x4 jack extension looks like a death trap!!
I know, right?. I incrementally jacked up the rear, setting the jack stands, then added another block and so on until I got the space I needed to get the motor out. It wasn't as hairy as it looks.

When I did the subframe mods, I used my engine hoist and custom brackets to attach to the inner frame rails in the trunk. Problem there is that the legs really make the whole thing very awkward.

Old 11-13-2020, 08:29 PM   #261
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Today I started putting the engine back together - first I had to fit the KTuned elbow on the head, which required drilling & tapping an M6 hole, and tapping the EGR port off #4 to block that from the water housing (using 1/4" NPT plug)

OEM head gasket this time, no more DNJ

head positioned on the dowels at each end

head torqued to spec in 3 stages, 29ft/lb, 90º, 90º. I reused the head bolts - no stretching on any of them checked as per the shop manual

Assembled the valve train & cams, (sealant applied to back edge of carrier that falls outside back of head)

Cam timing verified prior to installing the tensioner

marked chain links used to locate reference dots on cams & crank gear

Timing cover & mating surfaces all prepped, so tomorrow I can get the rest of it back together, then I'll pull the transaxle & install the 4.00:1 ring & pinion
Old 11-15-2020, 03:45 PM   #262
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Finished assembling the motor - front cover installed, crank pulley torqued, valves adjusted

pulled the transaxle

dismantled,

stripped the countershaft & transferred to new countershaft - each gear has to be pressed in turn

New shaft has a different size OD - needs a 35mm ID bearing vs. the 40mm original

retaining bolt torqued to 87ft/lb

chopped up a C30 shifter to use

heated and shaped the lever to dogleg it over to the left - so it will be centered in the console. C30 shift knob has the correct shift pattern to match the TSX 6 speed.

Back when I had to mod the AST5 casing to take the RSX shift assembly -

The problem with that is the RSX assembly flange sits directly on top of the old bolt hole at the right in the pic. It's been seeping fluid for the past 600 miles, so I figured I should try to rectify that whilst the case is apart.

I cleaned & filled the old passages with JB Weld - I'll sand & plane them to make a seamless seat for the shaft assy

I also installed the 4.00:1 ring gear on the mFactory LSD today - bolts torqued to 89ft/lb

Last edited by lookforjoe; 11-21-2020 at 09:43 PM..
Old 11-21-2020, 08:57 PM   #263
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Countershaft bearing finally came, so cleaned up the shift gate flange, I got the transaxle back together, mated with engine, new T/stat in place, SS water pipes (made by Brown& Miller Racing Solutions) installed, and drivetrain hung in bay before the daylight went away

Last edited by lookforjoe; 11-23-2020 at 08:31 AM..
Old 11-23-2020, 09:38 PM   #264
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Got the subframe in, axles, suspension & brakes back on, and removed the shift assy, cut, drilled & welded the modded C30 shift lever in place

Volvo 740T expansion tank hose cut to fit

C30 Shifter

has the correct shift pattern to match the Honda trans

Old 11-26-2020, 10:28 PM   #265
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

I got the shifter & cables back in, the slave cylinder reinstalled, reattached the starter cables, etc., the water pipes back in, made a new plenum gasket, and installed the plenum

Putting the TB, inlet, Header & exhaust back on

Switched to a different ECU fan PWM controller - less features but comes with directions for DIP settings

Going to add EMPI 12" limiter straps to make servicing the axles without stressing the CV's as soon as the strut is removed - going to go from the (bracket previously used for rear swaybar endlink) control arm to the triangle reinforcement forward of the rear crossmember.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:38 PM   #266
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Modified the Console to fit the Volvo P1 shift boot

Got all the EMS kit back in the trunk, I have the engine running. I still have the problem with the coolant temp running well over 190º before the thermostat opens, by then it doesn't come back down to normal op, even with the fan cycling. What I surmise, is that with the T/stat housing extension I had to make to fit the t/stat where it makes sense for my layout, the (stock 180º) T/stat doesn't get up to temp until the head temp is around 210º. The extension is dropping the coolant temp at least 20º at the t/stat.

extension connects to water housing, expansion tank (top) heater return (bottom)

going through spares I have - looking for 160º or 170º

ended up buying a 13376 (Stant 160º) - drilled a bleed hole & reduced the OD of the bypass shut off to clear the housing base.

since these are 54mm vs. 56mm of the original Volvo units, I needed a spacer seal to make up the 7mm seal height needed for the P1 t/stat housing cover

With the 160º t/stat installed, I now have head temps at the water outlet housing of 184ºF, and the rad fan cycles at 190º, right where it's supposed to.