• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The saga of the "Swag Wagon"

Where did you get the front plate delete plugs? Did they come with the new bumper, or are they just standard hardware store plugs?

The front end looks especially good with that grille and the fogs.

Install the Yoshfab accessory bushings today along with 4 new OEM Volvo belts. Fairly straightforward job, the bushings didn't fit as tight in the bracket as I thought they would. Just drop them in with very little effort. I wrapped them with a couple layers of Teflon tape so they would not fall out while mounting. Really nice parts, everything lines up very well
and no belt noise.

Bought a Denso 100 amp from Philsky to replace the 70 Amp Bosch and installed it. ! Phil replaced the brushes and tested the unit prior to shipping. Good deal for $108.0 shipped.
Simple install, hooked up to the original harness and mounts. 14.1V at idle and 12.6 with everything on the car running. Bosch was 12.6 at idle and made 13.7 at 3000 RPM. Dropped to 11.8 with everything running.

At some point, tweeters were installed in the A pillars and left a nasty hole on both sides. After failing to find a good set of black A pillar trims, I gave up and bought a set of Rockford Fosgate component speakers with remote tweeters. Don't really care for the tweeters on the A pillars but its better than the holes and sounds better than the old 2 way speakers.

Oh, and I changed the clockface to white just for Redwood Chair!:-P

That was a pain in the ass. Sport exhaust goes on next weekend.:oogle:

Wiring update: After three tries to fix the main connector at the firewall , gave up and canned the connector plug. Cleaned all the connectors with T100, added some dielectric grease, plugged them into each other and added a sleeve of heat shrink to each one. Who needs an big gray plug anyways?

Mounted the 4th relay for the fog lights now that I decided to keep them.

That grey block if a connector was all janky on mine as well. Good job omitting it! The

Side of the road rest and relaxation

Gudamsomnabastage Swag Wagon is being a dick.

Driving fine for the last month, about 1500 miles since finishing the rear suspension. No vibrations or problems. My son comes home from school Tuesday and says that it vibrates when you first take off. I go and drive it and it shudders and vibrates in first gear.

Climb under it and check the T rods, and driveshaft, center bearing is loose to the point I can move it up and down about an inch.Pushed it up and drove it again and it seemed better.

Called Volvo and had them overnight all the center bearing parts and three u-joints. Dropped it off yesterday and picked it up this afternoon. Noel, (my son) drove it home (about 5 miles) and said it was smooth and quite. Yea! Problem solved!....................not so fast..............

Left for his 4:00 class at 3:00, a 15 mile drive. 3:15 he calls me and say it's vibrating again. I tell him to go on to school and we will look at it later. Texts me from school and say it will not move in reverse???

Drive to the school, leave him my Tundra and take off for home. Smooth as silk and shifts fine ..........................for about 2 miles and starts to jerk and slip. Pull off the road and shut it off, check fluid, kickdown cable and fluid lines, all look good. Started it up after about 10 mins and put it in gear and off we go. Makes it about 2 more miles and same thing.

So a hour later I have made it 12 miles of the 15 and each stint is now about 1/2 mile after 15 min cool down. F it, called my brother to bring the jeep and a tow strap.

Got it home at about 6:30. Went and pulled out the AW71 I bought here from Olddaddy and started cleaning it up. I called Volvo on the way home during one of my 15 min naps on the side of the road and ordered a front and rear seal and a pan gasket. I will do the acc mod and try to get it in this weekend.

At 9:30, started it up and drove it around the block and it ran fine. Should be able to drive it a couple miles to my buddys house to do the swap.

On a good note, My son is driving up to FSU in the AM, about 200 miles away. Might have happened then as opposed to now.:)

A sad day, the 245 on a flatbed, oh! the shame!

On the way to the shop for the AW71 install. Decided to not do the Acc mod, we will address that after I build a motor.

By request from 57Plymouth, fog light brackets off the car so the tow man don't put the hurt on them.

This shows what I would build if I did it again, a simple one piece bracket but will require 5" wide alum sheet.

The AW71 is in but issues persist. Pulled the pan and it was very clean and the fluid looked good. Brand new converter installed. First drive we have no downshift on stops and no OD. Adjusted the kickdown cable and verified fluid level ( a bit high). The KD cable was the orignal one that was attached to the tranny. It was a bit sticky at first but working it back and forth it freed up and now returns normally. Took it out for a 5 mile drive and the OD engaged. The OD now works correctly and the car will kick down from OD to 3ed and from third to 2ed, but not to first even a 15-20 mph. It also shifts harder than I think it should and the park to reverse hits hard.
I have a new KD cable coming in the AM from Volvo and will change it. After that, I will drive it home from the shop whose lift I use and flush the tranny to make sure all the old fluid is out.

I really want to kick dents in this thing about now. The " no downshift" thing was happining with the old tranny 6 months ago and stopped after adjusting the KD and a flush.........and blew the F*** up last week. The AW 71 came out of a wrecked car and was working fine when pulled. Sumofabastage.

Someone here has to be a big brain transmission guy. Hints, ideas, crush it?

Waiting on the new AW71 to be finished, so we did some trim work on my spare armrests. Helpful TB buddies found the chrome bezels for the armrest but the vertical insert in NLA. Mine are all gray and crappy, so I found a solution in true TB fashion.

The chrome strip that runs along the lower door panel is just about the same size, so I cut them off the parts car and got to work.

They are bonded to the trim with some sort of death glue, so I had to use a razor blade and cut the backing off.

I cut them to size and then bent them to contour of the handle. They are very flexable but will crack of you bend too much. I heated them in boiling water and bent to fit, cooled in cold water. They kept the form.

Here is what we are replacing:

Smoe hot glue and we are done!

Mounted a Derale 10 Row plate cooler in front, I had to trim the center support for clearance.

Then mounted a remote Derale filter with 6AN fittings and added 90's .

I should have the 3 lines with AN 5 for the trans and AN6 for the cooler and filter built tomorrow . I will update when I get time to finish. Wanted to protect my acc modded AW71, I hate changing transmissions. ( I left about a 1/8" play in the accumulators, cus I am a chicken:))

Last edited:
Finally finished the cooler lines and installed them today.

Used heat shielding on the first three feet from the trans, never know how big a exhaust might be running thru there:)

Used leftover edge moldings around the door openings cut into short sections as protection from the sheet metal edges where I routed the lines.

Cut a hole in the plastic hole plug behind the A/C dryer on the core support and ran the lines to the cooler.

All hooked up and no leaks!

Now just need the new AW71 and get it installed.

Back