• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Techwagon! Mark's CarPC/MS/Stereo/etc thread

I have a torch, an impact and a bad attitude, so not too worried, really. :-P

I went with the only info I could find online at that point and really I'd rather they were too hard to take off rather than too easy. Worse comes to worst and I shear them off- It'll give me impetus to buy a stroker crank to build a 383.

M.

FWIW, Blue Loc tite would work just as well, and with no removal problems later. FWIW FW are held by their torque. If new bolts are used,& torqued properly should stay i just fine.

Cool...

BTW: your neighbors fail @ Saturn Battery Missiles... Supposed to connect all six fuses together, then set them all off @ the same time.

-J

I've found it helpful to wet the garage floor before painting, it helps keeps the dust from gettin' on them freshly painted surfaces

Yeah I contemplated doing this, but didn't want to bump the humidity up any higher. I was damned lucky it stayed as dry as it did as long as it did.

If new bolts are used,& torqued properly should stay i just fine.
After pricing out the six bolt kit from Lakewood I decided to reuse. Hope that doesn't bite me in the ass- I was assuming they're not torque to yield fasteners- they're only 75 ft/lbs and grade 8.

So I've been researching molded carpet. The basic idea seems pretty... basic.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bvGRsM5Z2P8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks like they dampen the carpet down, heat the backing and then press and allow to cool.

I'm realllly curious about trying something similar, though doing it area by area, spray the carpet down, put wax paper and towel over the back, heat with an iron on a flat surface (in car, maybe a cutting board or somesuch), then pressing down with books, cans, whatever roughly matches the shape beneath. I might gamble on a roll end and experiment.

M.

EDIT: The narrator in the video may have the most nasal voice I've ever heard. :-P

Yeah I contemplated doing this, but didn't want to bump the humidity up any higher. I was damned lucky it stayed as dry as it did as long as it did.

After pricing out the six bolt kit from Lakewood I decided to reuse. Hope that doesn't bite me in the ass- I was assuming they're not torque to yield fasteners- they're only 75 ft/lbs and grade 8.

So I've been researching molded carpet. The basic idea seems pretty... basic.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bvGRsM5Z2P8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks like they dampen the carpet down, heat the backing and then press and allow to cool.

I'm realllly curious about trying something similar, though doing it area by area, spray the carpet down, put wax paper and towel over the back, heat with an iron on a flat surface (in car, maybe a cutting board or somesuch), then pressing down with books, cans, whatever roughly matches the shape beneath. I might gamble on a roll end and experiment.

M.

EDIT: The narrator in the video may have the most nasal voice I've ever heard. :-P

Use a steam gun

I'm sad to say this is still about where things sit over a year later. The Fridge took a lot of my effort last year, and likely will continue to do so for a while. I'll have to redouble my efforts to get this thing rolling again.

M.

A sad end to the V8 wagon. It went to the scrapper this week.

It's been an eye-opening experience, abandoning the project that got me into Volvos and leaving this garage. Partially I'm amazed at the sheer amount of crap I collected over the period of a decade plus. I had waaaayyyy too much stuff in way too small a space, and that eventually made the garage from my happy place into stressful place to be. It was incredibly hard to do anything in the dark, crowded, musty confines. I had times I avoided the garage for months, simply because it was so packed full of sh1t.

The "Techwagon" (a name I hadn't called in years) suffered from a couple of problems, as a project. First, it was built across a period of time where my income went from nearly broke to pretty okay. This means a lot of the early stuff had been done on the cheap. This was compounded by TB itself... looking at the like of Buchkaprojects? caused the quality of my work to increase over time, meaning every time I looked at the car, I wanted to redo anything I'd done before.

Secondly was "project creep". I never really nailed down what I wanted the car to be until around five years in. In the five years since that it had sat, the previous incarnation seemed more and more out of sync with the present day. I got to the point of realizing that if I was starting fresh, I'd do basically everything differently.

Thirdly, time. I've got nearly none to spare at the moment. As my fragile human shell gets more and more decrepit with age and bad decisions, I'm realizing I have to pick my battles. My memories of driving the V8 wagon weren't smile-inducing. I've gotten so much more enjoyment out of the Fridge.

Finally, I bought a daily. An 2000 e55 wagon. It's a powerful V8. It's fast, fun to drive, luxurious and has doodads and geegaws aplenty. It was basically what I imagined the Techwagon to be in its final form.

It was time to say goodbye. I had a couple of potential buyers, but it never worked out and I didn't have the time or energy to put it on Flakeslist, so I stripped all of the stuff I cared to keep, and called the scrapper.

last picture before its last ride.

Bye, Techwagon.

:-(

Mark.

Back