• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Strut tops

nickm

just installed set of new strut tops(FCP ones) and bearings into a 740 wagon. The old ones, the rubber had spit but they didn't clunk.
Problem is the new ones clunk as they are turned.

Everything lines up fine, but as soon as the coil spring is released onto them they get hard to turn??? Though it might be newness, or just needing the car weight to seating themselves on the strut.
I've driven round for a day still doing it....
any thoughts
Thanks Nick

hmmm. . ..I just bought a pair of strut mounds from IPD for

1. my 92 940 turbo , $40 each (not he SKF $80 each)

2. my 91 240 wagon , they only had one type (URO brand) ) less than $30 each

FCP has teh $40 each adn the $80 each too for the 940's.

is there really a difference in the prices?

have not installed mine yet.

andrew

yes.
top strut mount.
FCP $65 on ebay.
ca4a_1.JPG

Looks and sounds to me like the bearings outer cover is binding on the lower plate. Not hard just catching
I was wondering if anyone else had the same experience with these. The bearing is a different style to the original.

Last edited:
Yes, I have the same situation. The bearing provided in the mount kit from fcp and horrible and clunk when you turn. The mounts were good the bearings were not. The new bearings have tiny ball bearings that don't allow adequate clearance between the top and bottom covers of the bearing. I put my old ones back in, which are badly worn until I can find the bearings elsewhere. Other than those bearing, everything I've got from fcp has been great.

I just had this problem occur as well, with the most recent set of plates/bearings that I bought from IPD. I figured it'd be bearings, but I couldn't prove it.

Any other places other than the dealer to get the bearings?

Any updates on the upper strut bearings?
I plan to replace mine in a month or 2 and would like to order the correct piece.

Thanks,
Will

i HAD the scantech (the cheap ones fcp sells) strut mounts on my 940.
rubber started seperating pretty soon after installing (with bilstein HD's)
since i didnt want to see my strut poking through the hood, i decided to get the "expensive" SKF/febi bilstein one. seemed to be of higher quality, and hasnt seperated or cracked yet.

I know this is an old thread but it sounds familiar.....I got a set of upper strut mounts from FCP and they turned out to be UROs. When I turn the wheels, it sounds like the springs are being plucked like a guitar string...does this sound like the issues anyone else is having?

I called them and told them about it - which they offered to swap under warranty. I also suggested to them they stop carrying this URO junk to which they defended it saying "they never had any problems with them in the past." Yeah..right.

I'm thinking of asking for a refund towards some Meyles, etc....but not even sure if they carry them anymore.

I had the same problem on my 940 with URO strut mounts They would pop and whatnot while turning. Went to have the car algined and found out that it was indeed the upper mounts. Damn

Called IPD and they told me that they havent had any problems with them. They were lying out their asses. Just the company I want to deal with :roll:

Return them to IPD and walk away. Call up FCP and they can hook you up with OEM strut mounts.

I know this is an old thread but it sounds familiar.....I got a set of upper strut mounts from FCP and they turned out to be UROs. When I turn the wheels, it sounds like the springs are being plucked like a guitar string...does this sound like the issues anyone else is having?

I called them and told them about it - which they offered to swap under warranty. I also suggested to them they stop carrying this URO junk to which they defended it saying "they never had any problems with them in the past." Yeah..right.

I'm thinking of asking for a refund towards some Meyles, etc....but not even sure if they carry them anymore.

I e-mailed whatshisname at FCP a few months ago on this exact issue, and got a response.
They were perfectly willing to replace them or refund, but they can't seem to find a good supplier. There really ought to be a sticky or something.

FWIW, I ordered some from worldpack SKF brand bearings for a whopping $12 a pop, just the bearing not the mount, that look identical to the OE ones in my 87 740. I'll get around to installing them eventually. I fished my originals out of the trash and greased em up and have been using them since my URO pieces were binding up so much. If I'd had to pay a shop labor twice to do this job, I'd be REALLY annoyed. As it is I'm just out time and effort.

Rock Auto lists several....including UROs for $23+ each. They have one from Spicer (listed as "professional grade") I thought of trying. Spicer makes a real nice greasable tie rod end, btw, complete with zirc fitting for $8. I've had several and liked them alot.

Went to FCP and didn't see anything but the JUNKO's listed. They defended them as a 'good company that stands behind their product'....ok, then have them come over and tear my front end apart....again.

My last set was Meyle's which were great - still have a used one (the other was wiped out by the all-of-a-sudden frozen Bilstein trick).

i guess its gonna be the skf for me then. i hit a nasty hole in this gravel road and did some serious damage to the front left of my car in terms of the suspension. gonna have to replace strut, upper mount, control arm, ugh.

FYI, with FCPGroton if you don't want a brand that has been inferior for you. Just request that they order the brand you want. I've used SKF from them without issues but sometimes that stuff isn't on the web site yet.

For example my latest order from last week was for a Hepu water pump for my 82 turbo 240. The Hepu for the older models aren't on the web site only the GMB brand which I would always prefer not to use. But they got it for me and sent it along with the rest of my order in two days. I put the request in the text box that is provided when ordering.

FYI, with FCPGroton if you don't want a brand that has been inferior for you. Just request that they order the brand you want. I've used SKF from them without issues but sometimes that stuff isn't on the web site yet.

For example my latest order from last week was for a Hepu water pump for my 82 turbo 240. The Hepu for the older models aren't on the web site only the GMB brand which I would always prefer not to use. But they got it for me and sent it along with the rest of my order in two days. I put the request in the text box that is provided when ordering.

Will definitely be calling them. I had a set of German Meyle's that I could swear I got from them - probably 3+/- yrs ago.....haven't seen them on anyone's site for awhile now. Thanks.

it was a big enough hole wolf to make me loose control of the car. i was 2 busy looking out for deer on this road and not enough paying attention to the road. i guess all this rain wreaks havoc on the damn gravel/dirt roads. I will take pictures of all the damage and stuff so yall can check it out.

Just ordered a set of the Spicer's from Rock Auto. I'll report back once I have them in hand. The URO's I got from fcp about a year ago lasted about 2 months with the billy's and springs. Hopefully Spicer builds a better mount.

Later,
Stephen

Rock Auto lists several....including UROs for $23+ each. They have one from Spicer (listed as "professional grade") I thought of trying. Spicer makes a real nice greasable tie rod end, btw, complete with zirc fitting for $8. I've had several and liked them alot.

Went to FCP and didn't see anything but the JUNKO's listed. They defended them as a 'good company that stands behind their product'....ok, then have them come over and tear my front end apart....again.

My last set was Meyle's which were great - still have a used one (the other was wiped out by the all-of-a-sudden frozen Bilstein trick).

Back