• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 While I have the diff apart...

BeaverMeat

While I have the diff apart... bearings?

... I?m installing a TrueTrack and changing the gear set on my 1030 axel. What else should I replace while it?s apart?

Last edited:
I'm not expert even as little on rear axles, but I have a vague recollection of a crush sleeve being used stock, and maybe you should replace that with something else if you were going to try to run a lot more power through it?

Maybe someone who knows more can correct me or fill in with better info.

A crush sleeve can only be used once. The better way to go is with a solid spacer and shims, this takes time to set up the proper preload, measured in inch/pounds. Doing a diff does take skill and the proper tools. Getting the right mesh with the R&Pinion the right back lash on the ring gear, the preload etc. Good luck.

Carrier bearings. They are really tough to remove without the right tools and are probably worn. Not worn out, but a shame to re-use.
Remove the bearings by grinding off material till they crack, then take the shims and re-use them om the correct side again.
Pro-tip: The truetrack is thick enough in diameter that the ring gear won't fit over it when you weld/attach a tone ring to the truetrack housing.

Sometimes the cover us rusted through. Maybe grab a alu cover in the junkyard, they also add some oil capacity, have a filter (later ones) and cool better.

So, about the aluminum cover...they put them on the 1030? What cars had them?

Don't know when exactly.
Removed an early alu cover from a wrecked German 745 with manual/B230F from 1989.5.
My 240, built mid 1990, had the steel cover.
I think the 740/940 got the alu covers first and by 1992 every model had them.
Pulled the cover with filter from a 1994 940.

Those cars all have the 1031. But since the gasket is the same between 1030 and 1031 it should fit on the 1030. I've read some questions about the sensor and tone ring but as far as I know they are compatible. Sensor works excellent on my 240.

There are two styles of sensor - one is retained with a locking ring and one is retained with a small bolt. I am not sure if they are interchangable when swapped in the covers. The pulse train is generated by the tone wheel, not the sensor, but spacing may be wrong.

revisiting this thread...

Finally got around to ripping it apart. Renting tools is getting tiresome.

I need to replace the bearings in the Diff... they are "functional" but getting up there in wear.

For clarification. Every bearing/seal/crush sleeve is the same as a Dana 30 or 1030 EXCEPT ,for the two pinion bearings which are Volvo specific sizes.

Yay or nay?

Is there a nice little kit I can buy or do I have to piece it together?

Cut the old bearings off.

Reinstall the side bearing shim. Press on new side bearings and hope that you are in spec. That's what I would do.

Got an inch/lb torque wrench? Install new pinion bearing and crush sleeve and set the pinion bearing preload, slap some marking compound on the gears and hope the pattern looks ok. Thats what I'd do.

Cut the old bearings off.

Reinstall the side bearing shim. Press on new side bearings and hope that you are in spec. That's what I would do.

Got an inch/lb torque wrench? Install new pinion bearing and crush sleeve and set the pinion bearing preload, slap some marking compound on the gears and hope the pattern looks ok. Thats what I'd do.

Got a torque wrench... most expensive do-all tool I own.

Just putting it together is the plan. I should have measured before I took it apart... live and learn I suppose.

Wondering if I can be cheap-ass and just shim the old crush sleeve. lol

Back