• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Tailight Voltage

VolvoScout

Does anyone know the proper voltage for the tail light bulbs on a 240 Wagon?

For example: Is it 12v, 12.3v, 12.8v, etc....

Doesn't need to be precisely 12 even if you're running LEDs. Proper automotive LED bulbs will handle it fine.

But yes, 12-14.

Looking at Advanced Auto. They had bulbs all around the 12-13.5v range.

Just make sure you're using same voltage bulbs on both sides. If you put a bulb that uses more juice on the left than on the right for instance, then your bulb failure light may come on. It works by comparing loads across the two sides.

Just make sure you're using same voltage bulbs on both sides. If you put a bulb that uses more juice on the left than on the right for instance, then your bulb failure light may come on. It works by comparing loads across the two sides.

Better yet, just buy two of the same bulb and replace in pairs. That failure relay is very finicky.

12V and 13.5V incandescents should be functionally the same. Only difference may be that 13.5V bulbs could be slightly dimmer than their rated wattage at 12V.

The important location is the two filament location. Many people use the 1157 for the two filament bulb when it should be the lower wattage bulb 1034. For flashers the 1156 is fine as well as with the reverse lights. They aren't usually on very long when in use. But there is a 21w replacement that you can use if you want to get the correct wattage. You will want to goto the local auto store and shop the aisle to find one. I don't know the number and if you look online most suppliers want to give you the 1156.

I used LEDs for my running lights since they are much lower wattage and run cooler. However they may set off your bulb failure sensor if you still have one.

Bulb "1156" is 26.9w. My wagon socket specifies 21w, how critical is it to match the wattage on the socket?

I have seen the contacts melt the plastic, where the socket fits into the housing. I've always assumed it was due to an overwattage bulb.

In my attempt to locate a picture, I found this one from a writeup by CleanFlameTrap. Not of the melting, per se, but a nice little bit of prevention.

tlight030.jpg

Yup, that's a common and good bulb.

Nice clean video production quality there. Don't have sound on my work PC but everything looks solid. I will note that before 1981 model year there is a different taillight style.

Back