home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > website & board

Old 04-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #51
smeha
245 Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by epborden View Post
Going to check with my company and see if we can't get this hosted for free. If that's the case, I'd be your admin and we could hook you up with raw access to whatever you need to facilitate the website best. We manage our websites using AWS (Amazon Web Services). You'd never have to pay for hosting, space, or certificates ever again.
Yeah and get hands on TB and jack it.
I prefer no one else but the current owner have an access to the board/database.
I've been molested by a guy who happened to own 7 and 9 series
smeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #52
boostdemon
creative mastermind

I thought we were discussing the annoying complicated task of moving to https... now you want me to move hosts and hand you the keys?

"Flathood" Owners | Motorcyclists | Guitarists
boostdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #53
woodenpudden
lacks goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostdemon View Post
I thought we were discussing the annoying complicated task of moving to https... now you want me to move hosts and hand you the keys?
I was being sarcastic on the first page, looks like I wasn't far off the mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenpudden View Post
Admins should provide you with login creds so you can assist them in securing, yes?
Old 04-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #54
poulrais
Board Member

Quote:
Going to check with my company and see if we can't get this hosted for free. If that's the case, I'd be your admin and we could hook you up with raw access to whatever you need to facilitate the website best. We manage our websites using AWS (Amazon Web Services). You'd never have to pay for hosting, space, or certificates ever again.

1990, Volvo 740 16v +T
1991, Volvo 745T 16V - crushed
build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=249553
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #55
BonerInSweatPants
REAL LIFE HATHOS

Quote:
Quote:
If that's the case, I'd be your admin and we could hook you up with raw access to whatever you need to facilitate the website best.
....aaaaand there it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguin View Post
Abortion is an issue I'm really torn on. I mean, I'm all for killing babies, but I don't believe women should have a choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenunot View Post
I experimented with some of my closer guy friends, one time. It was kinda nice, but it made things a little awkward when all of our girlfriends were together with us.
BonerInSweatPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #56
poulrais
Board Member

It's like:

"I know you don't know me at all but will you hand me over the keys to your house and I'll change the locks so you can't get in anymore while I reconfigure everything inside"

If you think that the site is unsecured then what you're asking the site administrator to do is FAR more dangerous for the security of all TB's users...
Old 04-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #57
woodenpudden
lacks goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulrais View Post
It's like:

"I know you don't know me at all but will you hand me over the keys to your house and I'll change the locks so you can't get in anymore while I reconfigure everything inside"

If you think that the site is unsecured then what you're asking the site administrator to do is FAR more dangerous for the security of all TB's users...
From wikipedia:
Stages of the con[edit]

Foundation Work
Preparations are made in advance of the game, including the hiring of any assistants required.
Approach
The victim is contacted.
Build-up
The victim is given an opportunity to profit from a scheme. The victim's greed is encouraged, such that their rational judgment of the situation might be impaired.
Pay-off or Convincer
The victim receives a small payout as a demonstration of the scheme's effectiveness. This may be a real amount of money, or faked in some way. In a gambling con, the victim is allowed to win several small bets. In a stock market con, the victim is given fake dividends.
The Hurrah
A sudden crisis or change of events forces the victim to act immediately. This is the point at which the con succeeds or fails.
The In-and-In
A conspirator (in on the con, but assumes the role of an interested bystander) puts an amount of money into the same scheme as the victim, to add an appearance of legitimacy to the scheme. This can reassure the victim, and give the con man greater control when the deal has been completed.
In addition, some games require a "corroboration" step, particularly those involving a "rare item". This usually includes the use of an accomplice who plays the part of an uninvolved (initially skeptical) third party, who later confirms the claims made by the con man.[6]

woodenpudden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #58
boostdemon
creative mastermind

I mean whatever. The fact is that I DO need to update the security and get these domain redirect issues addressed... they've been on my list for a while now so this was just a good kick to get working on it.
I'll probably just forward everything to tbforums.com and then issue a cert for that domain and call it a day.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #59
epborden
Board Member

I don't understand why everyone is jumping overboard, just trying to do something nice.

You already spoke about concern with cost. Also, it's been mentioned that the task at hand is annoying. I have no need to steal the forum. These responses have been really strange from the beginning. I can only guess that they come from a place of ignorance as to how some of the technologies work in their entirety.

The point of the post was to open a dialog about properly securing the site, for all users. That has been completed and a verdict seems to have been reached. The offer to help you otherwise is coming from a place of kindness and friendship. If you have other issues that you'd like to talk about feel free to pm me for my personal information and we can hash it out.

I'm a professional and have delivered no negativity in this thread. However, I can understand everyones position here and your voices have been heard, so I will let it rest.

Last edited by epborden; 04-13-2017 at 08:07 PM..
epborden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:05 PM   #60
poulrais
Board Member

Quote:
I don't understand why everyone is jumping overboard, just trying to do something nice.

You already spoke about concern with cost. Also, it's been mentioned that the task at hand is annoying. I have no need to steal the forum... I mean, really? These responses have been really strange from the beginning. I can only guess that they come from a place of ignorance as to how this kind of stuff works. I'd be an admin only in the sense that I'd be hosting your website and associated database(s), no different than any other host.

The point of the post was to open a dialog about properly securing the site, for all users. That has been completed and a verdict seems to have been reached. The offer to help you otherwise is coming from a place of kindness and friendship. If you have other issues that you'd like to talk about feel free to pm me for my personal information and you can talk to me man to man.
I mean.. . You've been on this forum for a little more than a year and a half, you have like 30 posts total and you are surprised that some of us are not comfortable with your "offer"?
Old 04-13-2017, 08:14 PM   #61
smeha
245 Slave

Quote:

You already spoke about concern with cost. Also, it's been mentioned that the task at hand is annoying. I have no need to steal the forum. These responses have been really strange from the beginning. I can only guess that they come from a place of ignorance as to how some of the technologies work in their entirety.

The point of the post was to open a dialog about properly securing the site, for all users. That has been completed and a verdict seems to have been reached. The offer to help you otherwise is coming from a place of kindness and friendship. If you have other issues that you'd like to talk about feel free to pm me for my personal information and we can hash it out.

I'm a professional and have delivered no negativity in this thread. However, I can understand everyones position here and your voices have been heard, so I will let it rest.
1) Basic SSL certs are free since 2016.
2) Want to help? Donate.
3) Go hump yourself. - the messaged is sponsored by a professional with a degree and tons of experience.
smeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:48 PM   #62
boostdemon
creative mastermind

Insinuating that i'm 'ignorant' and 'irresponsible' and threatening my users with stolen credit cards is probably not the best way to make a positive impression.

Your points are valid as far as increasing the security. I will address them when i have a minute.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:59 PM   #63
epborden
Board Member

Quote:
Insinuating that i'm 'ignorant' and 'irresponsible' and threatening my users with stolen credit cards is probably not the best way to make a positive impression.

Your points are valid as far as increasing the security. I will address them when i have a minute.
I think some may be getting the wrong idea about my usage of ignorant. I didn't call anyone stupid, and those terms are not synonymous by definition, but it may be a fact that not everyone understands how the technology behind it all works. That is a fact, not an insult, and nothing to be ashamed of as everyone has their expertise.

Not securing the forum, while of course up for debate, is in my opinion irresponsible as it does open the opportunity for bad things to happen. Even if they have not happened yet. I don't want anything to happen to anyone here. I'm glad to see that you have chosen to secure the site.

As far as threatening, I did no such thing, I simply delivered information pertaining to scenarios of what not securing the site could bring about. Those were facts, well documented as well, and again working within the theme of helpfulness.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:22 PM   #64
boostdemon
creative mastermind

This whole thread should have been a PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:27 PM   #65
epborden
Board Member

Quote:
Agreed. That is where I was ignorant myself in the sense that I didn't know you existed. I apologize for stirring up any confusion or negativity as that was not my intention. Feel free to close or remove the thread. My offers to help you still stand.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:05 AM   #66
Volvo ruined my Life

Location: In that neighborhood with the 240 on the jackstands & where tax rate is 1/2 paycheck; la habra, CA

This thread might be better than the insurance adjuster thread.
Any thread about cut springs, & or +T on a college students budget shall be sent to OT, flogged for 24 hours, participants in said thread shall point the OP in the correct thread link while simultaneously shaming them
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:42 AM   #67
TalkingGoats
Bored Member

Quote:
Move to OT / I feel bad when I leave OT lol
TalkingGoats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #68
BonerInSweatPants
REAL LIFE HATHOS

i just wanna get one more post in before this **** gets locked down

ok. done. do your thing, boss
Old 04-14-2017, 09:02 PM   #69
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

I'll also offer some assistance if needed. Although most of my professional career has been to exploit the loopholes, I can certainly help fix them.

Instagram: @itstotesdenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEMSFred View Post
Nothing's black magic. Basics to moderate power levels are cake, period. Start off rich and retarded, like your president.
TurboDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:54 PM   #70
740ti
Board Member

Quote:
^ you're a contributor already though... multiple times over if i remember correctly.
http://www.turbobricks.com/donate.php for all you grey users.

The other issue is that we redirect turbobricks.com to tbforums.com because i don't own the domain. I've been trying to get it from Garrett for the better part of a decade but it hasnt happened. We would either need a very expensive SAN cert, or buy multiple certs because we actually redirect 6 domains here. Then you have other issues with forums using ssl... like getting pop-up warnings for things like off-site images in the posts.
Good reminder! Sent another quick donation! Spent way too much time and saved way too much money not to throw in again.
740ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #71
TIPSP
Got Boost?

Haven't donated in awhile...
sent money just now.
Thanks Dana!

TIPSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #72
WindowsBreakerG4
ALDORF THE DESTROYER OF WHITE SHIRTS

$20 towards an SSL cert (this is TL;DR for me) lmk if I can help further.
She was pretty damn hot. And she folded my clothes and made me breakfast in bed
Towery wants to get me drunk but doug already is. Don't trust a drunk Towery he will slip you the old stiff one eye

I AM ALDORF THE DESTROYER
1985 744ti M46 -3rd, 15g, 3" exhaust, Ported Head, 333,333 miles
91 945 Turbo 3 pedal auto, DD
83 242 Turbo Flathood
15 Golf TDI 6 Speed

Doug <3 me. Not scottyd. doug was here again
WindowsBreakerG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #73
BonerInSweatPants
REAL LIFE HATHOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsBreakerG4 View Post
$20 towards an SSL cert (this is TL;DR for me) lmk if I can help further.
HI, ALDEN!

Old 04-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #74
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 AM   #75
grnmachine02
Indicating?

Hack the planet