home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & suspension

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
wagonfan00
#tiltyplategang
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Long Island
Default td05-12b to 16g upgrade

Looking for the machining operations necessary on the compressor housing and the 16g compressor wheel. I work at a machine shop and want to do the work myself for obvious reasons. I have a 90+ manifold and 16t that need to be mated eventually but short term was thinking of doing this upgrade to my original 12b. Something to get me by until I can afford the professional rebuild treatment for the 16T.

Thanks!
__________________
Current: 1988 745Ti 248k (BC Coilovers, Kalphenke Adj. panhard bar, MBC @ 13psi, custom intake, Hydras for winter, sawblades for summer) 2002 V70 NA M56 158k (Straight pipe, Snabb short shift kit and Delrin shifter assembly bushings, Custom intake)
Past: 2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman R55 (Stock) 1997 855 T5 300k
wagonfan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
Powder>Paint
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bay Area CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonfan00 View Post
Looking for the machining operations necessary on the compressor housing and the 16g compressor wheel. I work at a machine shop and want to do the work myself for obvious reasons. I have a 90+ manifold and 16t that need to be mated eventually but short term was thinking of doing this upgrade to my original 12b. Something to get me by until I can afford the professional rebuild treatment for the 16T.

Thanks!
One thing to note! The 12b only works w pre 1990 manifolds in stock format. the bolts that mount the tubo go into the housing, but not through it enough to be able to use the later mani. let me see if i can get you a pic. I have a 12b junk housing in the shop boneyard.

Brett@HotSnail
Powder>Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
Powder>Paint
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bay Area CA
Default

With a machine shop to use you could make it work, but as is it may be missing one nut like tom green.



Powder>Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
wagonfan00
#tiltyplategang
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Long Island
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder>Paint View Post
One thing to note! The 12b only works w pre 1990 manifolds in stock format. the bolts that mount the tubo go into the housing, but not through it enough to be able to use the later mani. let me see if i can get you a pic. I have a 12b junk housing in the shop boneyard.

Brett@HotSnail
Brett it's going to stay on the pre-90 manifold until I can get the 16t rebuilt by someone 😏 Aka you!!!
wagonfan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #5
Powder>Paint
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bay Area CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonfan00 View Post
Brett it's going to stay on the pre-90 manifold until I can get the 16t rebuilt by someone 😏 Aka you!!!
Right on man! The 12b is a decent turbo all by itself TBH... Had lots of fun w mine @13-16psi before the Garrett route.
Powder>Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #6
wagonfan00
#tiltyplategang
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Long Island
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder>Paint View Post
Right on man! The 12b is a decent turbo all by itself TBH... Had lots of fun w mine @13-16psi before the Garrett route.
I like it for a dd set-up....I just know this skinny rod engine can handle more...@15psi I didn't hear any pinging from lack of fuel yet on the stock fuel system...I just destroyed my AW71
wagonfan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #7
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonfan00 View Post
Looking for the machining operations necessary on the compressor housing and the 16g compressor wheel. I work at a machine shop and want to do the work myself for obvious reasons. I have a 90+ manifold and 16t that need to be mated eventually but short term was thinking of doing this upgrade to my original 12b. Something to get me by until I can afford the professional rebuild treatment for the 16T.

Thanks!
http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/ki...g-1-1-1-1.aspx

This will end up costing you more or less the same, will perform better, and comes with a warranty. Bolt it to a 90+ milled flat.
__________________


Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Everyone should start with a 2 year education at BB learning how to make the cars work before they come here to destroy them.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:22 PM   #8
wagonfan00
#tiltyplategang
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Long Island
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/ki...g-1-1-1-1.aspx

This will end up costing you more or less the same, will perform better, and comes with a warranty. Bolt it to a 90+ milled flat.
I don't want to buy a turbo. I just want to get the 16g wheel and bore out my 12b compressor housing. Mount the 16g wheel to the 12b cartridge and run it until it blows or until I go with the 90+ and 16T. The 16T is sitting in my basement waiting for funds. There is only a 10hp difference in manifolds according to a different thread somewhere on this site I found by using the google. So I'll wait for the td04HL-16T and 90+. I'll just have my original td05-12b sitting around and thought well wouldn't it be cool to mess around with. I'll put the housing on the lathe and bore it out to fit a 16g wheel and run it on the original manifold until I upgrade to the 90+ and 16T (newer designs although not larger but supposedly better flow for the td04hl compared to the Volvo td05). I work at a machine shop so my time in work isn't an issue since I'll be saving money and learning to be more proficient at my trade while working on my car. The car is being fixed up to be my dd so 15-16psi is all the turbo should see. Just wanted to get better flow for the same pressure while fiddling around on a lathe.

So anyone ever done this before or know how to do it that would be swell. It's called a project for a reason
wagonfan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #9
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonfan00 View Post
I don't want to buy a turbo. I just want to get the 16g wheel and bore out my 12b compressor housing. Mount the 16g wheel to the 12b cartridge and run it until it blows or until I go with the 90+ and 16T. The 16T is sitting in my basement waiting for funds. There is only a 10hp difference in manifolds according to a different thread somewhere on this site I found by using the google. So I'll wait for the td04HL-16T and 90+. I'll just have my original td05-12b sitting around and thought well wouldn't it be cool to mess around with. I'll put the housing on the lathe and bore it out to fit a 16g wheel and run it on the original manifold until I upgrade to the 90+ and 16T (newer designs although not larger but supposedly better flow for the td04hl compared to the Volvo td05). I work at a machine shop so my time in work isn't an issue since I'll be saving money and learning to be more proficient at my trade while working on my car. The car is being fixed up to be my dd so 15-16psi is all the turbo should see. Just wanted to get better flow for the same pressure while fiddling around on a lathe.

So anyone ever done this before or know how to do it that would be swell. It's called a project for a reason

Have you priced out the machine work to make your frankenturbo work? For less money than screwing with a wimpy **** td04 you could just buy the turbo I linked, for less money, less effort, and a ****load less machine work altogether.

Voice of experience here. You gain nothing in terms of experience other than learning not to do it the hard way when it's simply not worth it.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #10
Powder>Paint
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bay Area CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonfan00 View Post
I don't want to buy a turbo. I just want to get the 16g wheel and bore out my 12b compressor housing. Mount the 16g wheel to the 12b cartridge and run it until it blows or until I go with the 90+ and 16T. The 16T is sitting in my basement waiting for funds. There is only a 10hp difference in manifolds according to a different thread somewhere on this site I found by using the google. So I'll wait for the td04HL-16T and 90+. I'll just have my original td05-12b sitting around and thought well wouldn't it be cool to mess around with. I'll put the housing on the lathe and bore it out to fit a 16g wheel and run it on the original manifold until I upgrade to the 90+ and 16T (newer designs although not larger but supposedly better flow for the td04hl compared to the Volvo td05). I work at a machine shop so my time in work isn't an issue since I'll be saving money and learning to be more proficient at my trade while working on my car. The car is being fixed up to be my dd so 15-16psi is all the turbo should see. Just wanted to get better flow for the same pressure while fiddling around on a lathe.

So anyone ever done this before or know how to do it that would be swell. It's called a project for a reason

Watching this thread w interest! Machine on machinist, just go for it. Chances are ittl work alright, even unbalanced, for a period of time. Turbos are just basically two tiny water wheels connected, pumping air instead of water. Despite the hype, w basic common sense, most turbo hybrids WILL run, at least for a time. Youre actually not far off on proportionate wheel sizing w the 12b turbine and 16g wheel, itll prolly be fine, and a good experience too.
Powder>Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #11
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF CA
Default

^ +1

17¢ / hr much?
__________________
Raise The Lowered


Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #12
wagonfan00
#tiltyplategang
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Long Island
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Have you priced out the machine work to make your frankenturbo work? For less money than screwing with a wimpy **** td04 you could just buy the turbo I linked, for less money, less effort, and a ****load less machine work altogether.

Voice of experience here. You gain nothing in terms of experience other than learning not to do it the hard way when it's simply not worth it.
I have the td04hl already in my basement....a rebuild doesn't cost me $900....I want to do the machine work...who knows maybe it benefits someone else down the road. I work at a machine shop so I don't have to pay for someone else to machine it...and if I scrap out my own housing who cares.......I bore it bigger for no reason and see what I can fit in it. EVen if it works for a week or two...it would be a cool thing to make. Also wanna give me the $900 for that turbo because I sure as hell dont have it...maybe another reason I'm thinking of making my own set up....dunno it's less cash up front with a spare turbo that is SITTING around that no one will want to buy so why not?

If you arent going to address the original question of me trying to find out if anyone has the machining experience on this housing then go post elsewhere man. Who knows....what if I make it work...I can modify a 12b into something that will beat out a 16T for less than the cost of a new 16T...kind of a win.

Now does anyone have any experience machining the compressor housing to fit a 16g? And the 16g wheel itself because I know that has to be machined in order to fit on the 12b CHRA.

I'm clearly not trying to take the lazy way out and buy a fresh turbo...whats the fun in that?
wagonfan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #13
wagonfan00
#tiltyplategang
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Long Island
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
^ +1

17¢ / hr much?
It's free for me
wagonfan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #14
ryan242v
Board Member
 
ryan242v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: va beach
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonfan00 View Post
It's free for me
Not exactly. Your time is worth money, unless you don't get paid anywhere. Let's say you make $20 an hour at your job, for every hour you're working for free you're not making $20. It can add up pretty quick and sometimes it's better to buy a ready made product.

On the other hand, I've never heard of someone doing what you're trying to do, mainly because there are more cost effective ways to go.

To each their own though.
ryan242v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:17 PM   #15
lummert
Board Member
 
lummert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland IN
Default

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=123499

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=7580

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=66260
__________________
Trying to understand stupid people is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Last edited by lummert; 04-21-2017 at 07:22 PM..
lummert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:08 AM   #16
wagonfan00
#tiltyplategang
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Long Island
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan242v View Post
Not exactly. Your time is worth money, unless you don't get paid anywhere. Let's say you make $20 an hour at your job, for every hour you're working for free you're not making $20. It can add up pretty quick and sometimes it's better to buy a ready made product.

On the other hand, I've never heard of someone doing what you're trying to do, mainly because there are more cost effective ways to go.

To each their own though.
I'm mostly in it for the machining experience. The more I think about the more I realize I would have to set up a program and use a CNC machine to really do it properly. I get to learn how to make programs out of doing projects like this. It's fun
wagonfan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:45 PM   #17
Wren
Porkchop Sandwiches
 
Wren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Athens, GA
Default

There's a reason old Volvos are considered a hobby. If the OP wants to dink around making something work and has access to the tools to do it, that's great in my book. It's a hobby, not work, so opportunity cost doesn't have any bearing on the discussion.
Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:58 PM   #18
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

I missed the bit on personal access to a CNC. In that case rock on.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:22 PM   #19
turbotankshane
Board Member
 
turbotankshane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arkansas
Default

Right, cnc a few things for me while you're at it too! I'll gladly supply the $0.17/hr
__________________
91 244+t t5 - 300whp/340ft-lbs
92 Buick 'The Roadbastard' - LQ9/4L80E
91 Chevy S10 - b230ft, 700r4, 16t
turbotankshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:31 PM   #20
wagonfan00
#tiltyplategang
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Long Island
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotankshane View Post
Right, cnc a few things for me while you're at it too! I'll gladly supply the $0.17/hr
What can I do?
wagonfan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.