home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 04-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
Powder>Paint
Board Member

Default Push The Button! Nitrous Thread

Searching the forums, not too much recent info on anybody spraying..... Older posts are kinda bench racey, anybody ACTUALLY sprayed a turbo redblock? thinking of getting a two stage kit, pretty much just to look cool at Davis meet.... LMAO

Stock internalled big rod red block, 530 head, T cam, 60 trim t3 blah blah blah

Id use stage one on a 25-50 shot to fuel spool, and second stage to spray the inter cooler.... I know i may get roasted for this thread, but im ok w that.

At the endof the day nitrous is kinda fun, and that all this car is about to me. I am not afraid to melt a mill as long as im within a hundred miles of the shop so AAA can tow me home

Thanks!
Brett@HotSnail
Powder>Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #2
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Paging linuxman51. Please report to the thread.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #3
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

spray the house down

also, 50 shots are for pussies and small children. sack up and spray it. don't waste it on the intercooler

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
Powder>Paint
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
spray the house down

also, 50 shots are for pussies and small children. sack up and spray it. don't waste it on the intercooler
Now were talking.... Sounds like youve done this! Precursor info, if sprayed will be multiport wet setup for sure. Gotta go film the first start for the motor to be sprayed, then returning for sage advice.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:41 AM   #5
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

would be better if you had programmable management to get it to take the shot way down low where you'd really get things going
Old 04-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #6
Powder>Paint
Board Member

Quote:
would be better if you had programmable management to get it to take the shot way down low where you'd really get things going
I totally get that. I would love to go MS, but i need this quarters shop stock of powder too! First start was a, well, start! big turbo sounds cool, vid is rendering now

any vids of a volvo you have sprayed? pics of install? i almost have my ol lady convinced on buying a kit, so help a brotha out w pics! Itll be like my sales brochure for my CFO
Old 04-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

here's one.
https://youtu.be/vfKqPfEJfMM

I don't have any of it on the dyno. Just a single nozzle 100 most of the time. turned the boost up, and let the rest of the magic smoke out of the block a year ago.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
turbotankshane
Board Member

I'm putting a wet kit on my s10 once I have the valve body done and trans back together. Should be fun but I dunno how much good its gonna do me with that little ass td04 hotside
turbotankshane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #9
Powder>Paint
Board Member

Quote:
here's one.
https://youtu.be/vfKqPfEJfMM

I don't have any of it on the dyno. Just a single nozzle 100 most of the time. turned the boost up, and let the rest of the magic smoke out of the block a year ago.
Looks like it screams! what tire did it take to hook like that????

First start vid.....

Sixty Trim Noises w Meh audio at best

Old 04-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #10
Powder>Paint
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotankshane View Post
I'm putting a wet kit on my s10 once I have the valve body done and trans back together. Should be fun but I dunno how much good its gonna do me with that little ass td04 hotside
Naws always helps.... redblock, nitrous, pickup... thats pretty legit. I like those old school vw pickups too. IDK but i think some of those got turbo diesels. But i could be wrong.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #11
Dan Stokes
Board Member

I messed with N2O a bit with my Chevy 250 inline six (Camaro for Land Speed Racing). Not a huge fan but it for sure makes power. My only caution is "Make sure you have fuel to go with the N2O" - it gets ugly and expensive if you don't. But you probably already knew that.

Dan
Dan Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #12
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder>Paint View Post
Looks like it screams! what tire did it take to hook like that????

First start vid.....
26x10.5 15. but it doesn't really hook that well tbh. Don't have traction control set up on the car yet
Old 04-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #13
Powder>Paint
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Stokes View Post
I messed with N2O a bit with my Chevy 250 inline six (Camaro for Land Speed Racing). Not a huge fan but it for sure makes power. My only caution is "Make sure you have fuel to go with the N2O" - it gets ugly and expensive if you don't. But you probably already knew that.

Dan
I claim to know nothing about naws except i needs me a ricer purge......
Glad for any N2O tuning advice anyone w experience has. The fuel end was why i wanted to go multi port wet, and just jet according to plugs and WBAF...
Old 04-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #14
Volvo ruined my Life

Location: In that neighborhood with the 240 on the jackstands & where tax rate is 1/2 paycheck; la habra, CA

At this rate I give it like 5 months before the OP crushes their car & quits TB
Any thread about cut springs, & or +T on a college students budget shall be sent to OT, flogged for 24 hours, participants in said thread shall point the OP in the correct thread link while simultaneously shaming them
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #15
Powder>Paint
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post

NO way man, im here for the duration! Official partner Sponsor of the Davis meet, buy rafell tickets, win powder coat, MAYBE A TURBO??? Promise, im not gonna quit the board if i blow this up.

I gots me extra mills to melt. In addition, I would gladly hate launch my car w nitrous and no WG hooked up, on video, melting all pistons and throwing a rod into the concrete below it, for a thousand likes to my FB page. That would actually be awesome content.

The ugly idle is improving, and the list of stuff to do before the meet is getting shorter. We will see how it all comes out, but I REALLY want to get a kit on it, just so i can be a kewl kid. And purge that b!tch.
Shameless Plug in three, two, one...
https://www.facebook.com/HotSnailInductionWerks/
Old 04-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #16
gross polluter
They see me trollin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
How long did Myles last? This seems to be another one of those......

1968 Furd Rustang fastberk | 2JZGTE VVTi | MS3X ECU | PT6776S @ 18 psi | 4L80e Microsquirt TCU Sloppy Transbrake | 3.73 8.8" rear end

1981 Piper Cherokee Archer II | All stock
gross polluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #17
Powder>Paint
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gross polluter View Post
How long did Myles last? This seems to be another one of those......
i dont know a myles, but I got staying power...
As a shop car, unless i die, its all just a marketing expense. Making a ripple in the car tuning community is hard. A blazing ball of nitrous could get you noticed, or blow the hood off.

Davis is within a hundred miles, so i def could get home via AAA.
its all about the content.
never satisfied, ALWAYS content.

-Brett@HotSnail
Old 04-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #18
Powder>Paint
Board Member

Quote:
26x10.5 15. but it doesn't really hook that well tbh. Don't have traction control set up on the car yet
Still sic. Looking to have anything powder coated? I like doing service sponsorships for racecars. Basically get something shot for no monies, and put our sticker somewhere visible on the car, and take pics of what you receive back....
Old 04-17-2017, 06:40 PM   #19
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

we can talk about that when the time comes. I'm a bit off from getting it back together.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:06 AM   #20
Dan Stokes
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder>Paint View Post
I claim to know nothing about naws except i needs me a ricer purge......
Glad for any N2O tuning advice anyone w experience has. The fuel end was why i wanted to go multi port wet, and just jet according to plugs and WBAF...
I'm a big dyno advocate and the switch to N2O is a really good time to buy some dyno time. Most dyno shops have extensive nitrous experience and will keep you out of trouble on those critical first runs. A decent shop will start you out WAY rich and then back out the fuel until everything is safe yet powerful. Doing it the other way can cost you an engine.

Remember that nitrous makes power thru 2 mechanisms. Primarily, it's an oxidizer with a significantly higher amount of O2 than ambient air (air has about 21% - I'd have to look up the % in nitrous). This enables the addition of more fuel into the engine and the combination means more power. However, if there isn't enough fuel it'll burn whatever IS available and the next most combustible thing there is aluminum - bye-bye piston crowns. Nitrous also acts as an intake charge coolant, meaning you can pack a more dense intake charge into the combustion chamber. This is why you use N2O and not just bottled oxygen (though O2 will make more power but is harder to control).

Just a "BTW" - NOBODY who actually works with these systems EVER calls it "NOS (naws)". That's a trade name for a company called Nitrous Oxide Systems which is a perfectly decent organization. They DO NOT call the gas "NOS", either. That comes from movie references when writers, clearly not car people, were trying to make the characters sound cool by uttering sounds that simply showed that the writers didn't know the car world. Sadly this has caught on with folks who mostly saw a movie but really aren't car folks either.

So it's N2O or (usually) just nitrous. You'll sound cool and not like a wanna be.

Dan
Old 04-18-2017, 08:54 AM   #21
Wilford Brimley
enjoys the beetus

BIG TURBO! HUGE! GIANT! IMPRESSIVE!
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=316428 91'744T .57 t3/t4, big ic, greddy type s, 55lb/hr injectors, bosch 044, tloa ecu/ezk, 3"amm, rsi stg 3 cam, ttr cam gear, top mount header, 3" exhaust, kevlar tbelt, e-fan, 22 psi, intrax springs, cherry turbo brace, ipd rear sway, dual front sway bars, bilstein struts, camber mod, accum mod
Wilford Brimley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:06 AM   #22
Cwazywazy
Board Member

I just pour this NOS stuff into my gas tank and oil. Gives me like 150hp at least.

Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #23
Powder>Paint
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Stokes View Post
Just a "BTW" - NOBODY who actually works with these systems EVER calls it "NOS (naws)". That's a trade name for a company called Nitrous Oxide Systems which is a perfectly decent organization. They DO NOT call the gas "NOS", either. That comes from movie references when writers, clearly not car people, were trying to make the characters sound cool by uttering sounds that simply showed that the writers didn't know the car world. Sadly this has caught on with folks who mostly saw a movie but really aren't car folks either.

So it's N2O or (usually) just nitrous. You'll sound cool and not like a wanna be.

Dan
Thanks Dan.... Hence the only time I used naws spelling was in the same sentence as ricer! I fully support the dyno time notion.... I have never had the hog make a pull, but itll prolly lay down like, idk, 151 rwhp, right of the trailer, no prep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilford Brimley View Post
BIG TURBO! HUGE! GIANT! IMPRESSIVE!
You know its all about those catch lines.... And it is giant. Compared to an IHI RHB3. Its all about perspective. Besides, watched a branden carlson vid yesterday, and his "HUGE" turbo didnt make max boost till 5k according to his vlog. This should come on notably quicker. His channel is kinda entertaining, check it out.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #24
Dan Stokes
Board Member

Don't worry about your numbers - the dyno shop won't. I did dyno work for a living (I'm retired from the US EPA vehicle emissions lab) so I have a huge respect - and knowledge - of the dyno world. The dyno is, of course, just a tool but a really useful one. If possible find a shop with a dyno fitted with a power absorbtion unit (PAU). A PAU will allow the shop to apply a load at a steady state cruise, a big help for tuning. Inertial dynos (like most DynoJets) are simply a heavy drum that times the rate your car can accelerate the drum which is then translated to a simulated HP number. If you aren't accelerating it applies almost no load at all. They're OK but limited in their uses. The only affordable dyno I have access to is an inertial dyno and we do OK with it though I DO wish it had the afore-mentioned PAU.

Anyhow, what you REALLY want to know is the change in the numbers as a result of the changes you made to the car. That's why it's REALLY helpful to have a baseline.

Another FYI - dyno pros call a chassis dyno "The Rolls", NOT "The Rollers". The "roller" thing is a magazine writer thing - again, they don't know no better!

Dan
Old 04-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #25
turbotankshane
Board Member

Never heard it called a PAU before, but the dyno we had at my last job had one, just thought it was called an eddy brake. Was very useful in hurting brodozer feelings, after they get inflated numbers from inertia dynos and think they're getting low numbers from a loaded dyno so it needs more load.. that eddy brake would flat out shut a truck down at anything over 20% load on the brake.
turbotankshane is online now   Reply With Quote