• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pdx dl

Got the alt bolt out. Heat did the trick. Thanks Billy.

So, why did it break? When I got the car there was only a short bolt with one bushing. I added the two poly bushings. Should I go back to rubber?

Shift in plans...

The turbo motor, combined with everything else in my life, overwhelms and discourages me. To the point that I don't want to mess with the car at all.

At this point, I've decided to set the motor upgrade aside for a while and focus on a few simpler tasks that I can do before the Davis trip. Alternator, power steering, suspension bushings, lower-mileage M47 install. Maybe some speakers for the rear. And the heater leak. There will be overlap on the trans swap, but so be it. If 5th gear is quieter for the 20 hour round trip, it will be worth it. And it will reduce my urge to roll the beast out front with a "free to good home" sign on the windshield.

94E8DCDB-CFFE-4760-BDC7-04D8EE298141-M.jpg

The swap is simple Carl. Don’t get discouraged. If need be I will come by and help. Sometimes having someone there to shoot the **** will make you feel like working. Let me know.

Thx lads. I'll keep poking at it: Stage 0, 3" down, sort out the intake plumbing and PCV, fix some pulled threads, clutch, etc.

Sometimes the hardest part of an effort is mental.

LOL.

I watched an episode of Roadkill recently where the boys were doing an engine swap in the Blasphemi under a tree at a drag strip. Every possible thing went wrong. Despite professional appearances, it was obvious the guys were getting tired. Yet they pushed through hurdle after hurdle. I found it motivational.

A quote I like is: "Don't be afraid to work hard for the things you want in life." And so we do. There is a reason 90% of the population has no interest in restoring old cars.

Which leads me to my next favorite quote. Tom Hanks in League of their own: "It's the hard that makes it great. If it were easy, everyone would do it."

But we all need balance so the task in question doesn't end up rotting behind the garage. I look back over 35 years of buying and selling cars and wish I had kept many of them. Just imagine what those early cars could have been today. So I'm trying to break the cycle. 10 years from now my DL may actually be road-worthy...

Yeah....but a fixed steering rack and creature comforts win over go fast bits when it comes to road trip goals. Sure go fast bits makes the ride more exciting, but the creature comforts make it easier. Compile a to-do list for stuff that needs completed, then sort it out from simplest/easiest/cheapest to longer, more involved and attack it. Maul it like a momma bear mauls a hipster taking pictures of her cubs.

Back