• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AFR sensor location question

VolvoLatAm

My non-US carbed 1982 244 B23 does not come with any electronics to monitor/control the engine...I have done some spark-plug-color carb/dwell meter tuning in the past but have moved on to just wanting an AFR gauge.

I have a Bosch wide-band AFR kit and was wondering if I HAD to install it down stream of the exhaust manifold.

Reason is, I came across a b230 exhaust manifold and was wondering if I could install it and utilize the stock spot for the O2 sensor with my wide-band gauge. Again, my car is totally analog and not electronic: no crank position, no MAF, no computer, no O2, no secondary sensors, no control unit...My car is N/A and does not have a turbo.

My worry is that a wide-band AFR in the stock O2 sensor threaded hole might get too hot or read wrong because of some biased proximity to a specific piston's exhaust or maybe the angle is wrong in that spot. I also know these things need to actually be hot to work!

Here is my afr kit (utilizes a Bosch LSU4.2 Sensor):
https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-4...5003815&sprefix=auto+meter+afr,aps,128&sr=8-3

here is the threaded hole: https://ibb.co/nP8qfgj

I would love to just screw it in and have it plug/play...anybody know the thread size for the manifold hole?

Last edited:
Yes, it works fine on a non-turbo to mount the O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold for the wideband. I did this for my '87 240 when I ran Megasquirt. When I changed to using a Turbo, I mounted the O2 near the 2nd bend in the downpipe (near the ground), so 12-18" from the turbine outlet.

I believe common O2 sensor thread is M18x1.5.

I ran my wideband in that spot for quite a while but I eventually moved it to the lower port right before the catalyst as it read cleaner at idle/low revs. It probably won't matter if you're only using it for the gauge and not high speed datalogging/analyzing it.

Back