• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Regina Oil On CPS

dware856

Im having stalling issues due to oil on the contact of the Crank position sensor on my '94 940 regina wagon.... im having to pull and clean the sensor about once every 10 days or so to get things back to normal.

Not sure what the culprit might be. Valve cover seems fine, the back of the head dosent look very oily. Around the rear seals as far as i can tell, though im going off ****ty iphone photos until i can get a small enough mirror to check it all out. I wiped a rag back there and it wasnt too oily to determine a big leak.

Im afraid it might be rear main seal but im not sure. I havent really noticed oil stains on my driveway.

Any one have a similar problem/ experience with this?

A friends 940 wagon blew out the rear plug on the cylinder head from too high crankcase pressure. There is a cover over the back of the head preventing a good inspection of the plug. The rear bearing for the cam can also leak at the edges of the bearing cap. If you do rreplace the rear plug be sure to seal those edges of the cap when you reinstall it.

Im having stalling issues due to oil on the contact of the Crank position sensor on my '94 940 regina wagon.... im having to pull and clean the sensor about once every 10 days or so to get things back to normal.
Unless regina uses something weird, the CPS is a non-contact magnetic sensor -- it's just a coil of wire, wound around an iron slug, plus a magnet. I don't think a little oil on the tip of it would make much difference to the magnetic fields. Maybe your sensor is failing and the R&R flexes the wiring enough to get it working temporarily. I'd certainly try swapping in a different CPS.

Unless regina uses something weird, the CPS is a non-contact magnetic sensor -- it's just a coil of wire, wound around an iron slug, plus a magnet. I don't think a little oil on the tip of it would make much difference to the magnetic fields. Maybe your sensor is failing and the R&R flexes the wiring enough to get it working temporarily. I'd certainly try swapping in a different CPS.

+1. They are $14 shipped on amazon. Can?t hurt.

And Regina uses the same CPS as lh2.4 so no worries.

Excessive oil in CPS area

Not sure what the culprit might be. Valve cover seems fine, the back of the head dosent look very oily. Around the rear seals as far as i can tell, though im going off ****ty iphone photos until i can get a small enough mirror to check it all out. I wiped a rag back there and it wasnt too oily to determine a big leak.

Im afraid it might be rear main seal but im not sure. I havent really noticed oil stains on my driveway.

Any one have a similar problem/ experience with this?

I would guess the oil you are seeing in that area is due to a leaking oil seal in the distributor- not the large Oring but the shaft seal that is accessed by driving out that pesky pin in the shaft and pulling the shaft from the distributor base.

I would guess the oil you are seeing in that area is due to a leaking oil seal in the distributor- not the large Oring but the shaft seal that is accessed by driving out that pesky pin in the shaft and pulling the shaft from the distributor base.

93-94 Regina cars don't have a head mount distributor. Volvo used up the left over 240 engines in the NA 940 Regina injection system cars.

My buddy?s 93 940 Regina has a head mounted distributor.

They came both ways. All early Regina cars had the head mount distributor. That may or may not be the original engine in your buddy's car. Out here on the west coast, I have never seen a 93-94 Regina car with a head mount distributor. Volvo = nightmare of just throw it together with whatever was on hand at the time. I have never seen a more screwed up manufacturer than Volvo. It is no wonder they couldn't make a profit.

Failing CPS's has been a problem for me in the past, i always keep 1 or 2 new ones in the glove box lol. I though the same for the oil on the sensor, though its a immediate fix from no start/ stalling when i wipe it clean.

I haven't been driving the car or had time to check under the rear cam cover thing. My car has a block mounted distributor btw.

I did check for crank case pressure with the old flipped over oil cap test, pretty much blew the thing right off at idle. Going for a flame trap/ breather box clean here soon. Maybe that will fix/ slow the leak?

They came both ways. All early Regina cars had the head mount distributor. That may or may not be the original engine in your buddy's car. Out here on the west coast, I have never seen a 93-94 Regina car with a head mount distributor. Volvo = nightmare of just throw it together with whatever was on hand at the time. I have never seen a more screwed up manufacturer than Volvo. It is no wonder they couldn't make a profit.

It’s was a friend of a friends dads car. Said it was the original engine. I have seen them both ways here at the junkyards in Missouri.

Like you said, Volvo did some weird ****.

Back