• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The 75 242 DL

Don't let insurance get you discouraged. Playing your cards right can and will make you even, just make sure you are well-compensated for the inconvenience and time wasted having to deal with insurance.

OH NOOOO! That sucks, man. Luckily, it's not worse.

If it were mine, I would pull the fender off and pay a body shop or a painless dent guy to get it back as close as possible without removing the paint. Get a new bumper and lights, and then just bolt the straightened fender back on as-is. Drive it that way until you're ready to tackle the other rust repair and repaint work, and at that point maybe bolt on a new fender to be paint matched at the same time.. Sure, the fender won't be perfect and it will have cracked paint for now, but that's really not so bad.

At least then, it won't be so emotionally draining, to rip the car back apart and have it undrivable for a long time again.

It's not the insurance that discourages me. It's the freaking time you spend on a project just to have these stupid f*****g people drive carelessly, on their phones, destroying the thing you spent sooo much time on.

I can deal with insurance people easily. CA laws make it extremely easy to have a fair settlement.

Insurance Sucks! Amazing car sorry to see this happen. I had to fight insurance on the price of my car for like 2 months. Just dont give in man.

I will get the whole car fixed at this point... All rust removed. The Whole car will get a very nice paint job.

Well then there is a silver lining. If you wanted to paint it eventually anyway, and not preserve the patina, then it's good that this happened. It helps pay for the paint job, and pushes to go the distance right now and not put it off. The crash damage looks pretty minor, like a new fender and bumper will probably fix it all. That's a lucky break.

Yeah. It is original paint on some of the car. I do want to keep that.... But the headache of doing things twice. I can't stand redoing a project. Do it right the first time.

We will see how well they match the paint.

Rust on windshield and lower rocker will be on your dime. NADA $11,000 impressive. Nice car, people suck. GL with the settlement.

Yeah. It is original paint on some of the car. I do want to keep that.....

Spray the whole car for sure if you're going to paint most of it.

FYI the NADA really doesn't mean much, the ins co. will use their own metrics to determine a value. As someone mentioned previously you'll need to push them to hire an independent appraiser.

Last edited:
Yeah. It is original paint on some of the car. I do want to keep that.... But the headache of doing things twice. I can't stand redoing a project. Do it right the first time.

We will see how well they match the paint.

Yea if you can find a straight rust free early fender to work with.

Not so common as they were just 10 years ago...

Anyway good luck with the repair, and I'll watch in the yards for a good 75-80 DS fender for you.

:x:

Thanks Pat!

Yea if you can find a straight rust free early fender to work with.

Not so common as they were just 10 years ago...

Anyway good luck with the repair, and I'll watch in the yards for a good 75-80 DS fender for you.

Thanks Ken.

I should hit up the yards and see what's up...

Last edited:
Later early fenders won't have the holes for the emblems or grill surround trim, and they get holes for the eyebrow trim over the filler trim as well so the year range isn't just 'early' 75-82 for commando bumpers but 75-79 afik.

Not that a good body shop couldn't figure it out, but you want to get them as close to prep and shoot as you can.

On the bright side socal / desert metal is going to be as rust free as any you're likely to find.

Stick on emblem, & eyebrows.

1980-volvo.jpg

Grill surround, stick on emblems & drilled anchor GL wheel arch trim.
ebay141540891599934.jpg

Grill surround, drilled in Emblems & drilled anchor GL wheel arch trim.

Volvo_265_1980_-_1982_4.jpg

And finally drilled emblems & grill surround trim like yours.

1979_volvo_240-pic-4076830518005285318.jpeg

Last edited:
I contacted a few on here...

Body shop needs help getting parts.

I am hoping they can use a certain shop contact and he can collect some profits from this as well.

Yep.

So the lady who hit me was distracted by her phone... she admits it also... cop didn't write a ticket... go figure that one.

I gave them a few people to contact if needed.

Thanks everyone for the help. Means a lot to me.

Last edited:
Back