• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1965 122s Wagon lowering springs- Honda Civic springs??

hrlydavison

I have read some threads that mention Honda Civic springs in 2.5" diameter would work on my new wagon.

However I have yet to find any real evidence as to actual years used. brand, drop achieved etc.

I have searched and searched. Anyone know of any 122's wagon or sedans that are set up with these? how they liked them?

I know IPD has a set that fit for a 1" drop, but was wanting closer to 2" drop and run maybe 14" wheels. VPD is out as John Parker is not reliable as I have read.

Will not be anything but a weekend/summer cruiser so harsh ride is not a big issue, but bump steer is not something I want either.

Anybody who could "steer" me in the right direction is appreciated.

yeah, I would rather not have to buy and pay shipping from the UK.

Just trying to find guys that know more details on the civic springs.

Anyone know of good shorter shock options that would go with a 2" drop for these wagons?

You're right. Why buy an off the shelf proper fitting tested part when you can f**k around with bs civic springs. Especially since it seems like you aren't going to measure anything.

You're right. Why buy an off the shelf proper fitting tested part when you can f**k around with bs civic springs. Especially since it seems like you aren't going to measure anything.

Easy there DL, you the resident "troll the new guy"?

So you're a purist? Or you just like to BS and f**k around with pointless follow ups?

The car is not in my hands yet. I have not had it shipped to me.

I am trying to get a head start on where I want to go with the suspension.

I appreciate any insightful and helpful comments from the group.

No, I'm not that person. Seemed to me like you asked for an easy answer and you got it.

I don't troll or harass people and have a long record of not doing so. Good luck with the car.

I used a Mercedes W126 280/300SEL, etc. front coil in my P220. You can make two out of one and trim what you need. A quick search shows that availability in the States isn't that good? It's stiff but made the front so much better with a 1" sway bar. Shorter Gaz adjustable shocks all round and shortened stock rear coil. If I would still have it, I'd test some other shocks.

38.jpg

Civic coilover springs started with one car having them bodged on and a few others followed. That is only saloons and they have a very different rear axle setup to the estate. I think most of the cars that went the Civic path have been changed.

Just listen to the tone of the different responses...

Confirms most everything about NJ I've experienced after growing up in NYC, and everything I've learned about Scandinavia after owning Volvos for almost 50 years.

I await further creative suspension insights...
image_zpsd1sgl8pw.jpeg

I used a Mercedes W126 280/300SEL, etc. front coil in my P220. You can make two out of one and trim what you need. A quick search shows that availability in the States isn't that good? It's stiff but made the front so much better with a 1" sway bar. Shorter Gaz adjustable shocks all round and shortened stock rear coil. If I would still have it, I'd test some other shocks.

38.jpg

Very Cool Lankku!! I really like the way it sits. Are those jeep steel wheels 15" or 16".

I have a set of mid eighties Ford Turbine wheels in 15" that I was thinking about using.

I found a circle track racing parts website that is clearancing out 2.5" diameter coil over springs in 12inch,10inch and 8inch. $20 a spring

accutune off road offers Eibach springs in 2.5" diameter in lengths from 8-18"/multirate and they offer free spring exchange, so if you don't like the set-up you can swap them out for stiffer/shorter, longer/softer etc. That may be a good deal also.

What spring rate do you guys recommend for front and rear?

Spend the money if you're going static. I ordered classic swedes 100mm drop. Don't put civic coils in as modification is needed. More headache in the long run. But do what you want. I'd rather spend the money on qualit AnD safety.

Spend the money if you're going static. I ordered classic swedes 100mm drop. Don't put civic coils in as modification is needed. More headache in the long run. But do what you want. I'd rather spend the money on qualit AnD safety.

I have to chime in here.... I have bought parts from Classic Swede, I had issues with the parts and I paid a mint for shipping. In addition to spending days tracking down someone locally who could fix the two seized shocks I received, I spent plenty on additional parts to finally have a bastard set up on my car. Classic Swede took weeks to response to my initial request for assistance. To say that his parts were quality is debatable.

The point of a forum is to share info you may have. I get that some people want the turn key option (I did just that on an expensive turbo set up on my 2004 wagon with IPD) but others like to try other paths and experiment.

Amazons are stupid simple when it comes to the suspension. The OP can remove one of his springs when he gets his car, measure, jump on Summit or similar sites and play around with options. Preaching about "spending the money on quality and safety" from a vendor with a checkered record is laughable for those of us who went that route and ended up with questionable quality at best.

^ I cant speak about Classic Swede's stuff, but have found this with other "reputable" volvo specific stuff "designed" for amazons. Now, I dont trust anything to be "bolt on" anymore. I just go straight to dimensions.

Well I had a very positive experience with classicswede and would recommend them. No one is perfect and miscommunication and bad experiences can happen.

Just like in this thread when a newbie doesn't like the simple answer I gave him and didn't like that I told him the honda civic option is crap.

On my car I bought 20% stiffer stock height springs. Got them from Yankee Trading Company. Made the car handle amazing without clearance issues that it had before with lowering springs on it.

In response to Matt, yes he did seem to have a issue with the dampers that I had never seen before or since. One the adjuster would not turn and the other the piston would not move. I went though my stock and checked them all for any issues like that incase there was a batch issue or anything. Gaz (manufacture of the dampers) were able to advise on how to solve the issue. Had you been in the UK or even europe it would have been simple enough to exchange them.
Additional parts are not needed to install the lowering kits and to call it a bastard setup is very uncalled for. Fair enough if you want to say you do not like how the car feels with the kit on as handling and ride quality are subjective.

Back