• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ram-Air For 740 Turbos

hahaha i remember that as the first performance article i ever read on volvos... got bored, did it, loved the results

if you want to start scratching that performance itch, do this, it's fun

You just made my job easier. I was looking at doing something similar. I didn't want to butcher the Air box in my 97 960 to get more air. I was thinking of running a tube made of PVC under the factory snorkel and into the box. Kind of like an additional stealth intake hidden by the factory unit. I never thought of using plastic hose or two. Thanks you just save me a lot of work. As soon as I can find another air box to cut up for this install I'll be good to go.

I plan on doing this soon.

On my 740 airbox at the bottom it has the one tube going from the box out the side fender to get it's air. directly opposite of that is another outlet that has a barrier held in place by a screw. I plan on running a hose from that to someplace in front of the car behind the grill to pick up additional cool air while I drive.
From the looks of it, I shouldn't need to cut my airbox at all!

I plan on doing this soon.

On my 740 airbox at the bottom it has the one tube going from the box out the side fender to get it's air. directly opposite of that is another outlet that has a barrier held in place by a screw. I plan on running a hose from that to someplace in front of the car behind the grill to pick up additional cool air while I drive.
From the looks of it, I shouldn't need to cut my airbox at all!

:roll: You should do whats proven to work here. On the otherhand your not the first to do this grand plan of yours so have it! :-P

holy thread bump batman...
3 years 10 months 30 days or:
1430 days
123,552,000 seconds
2,059,200 minutes
34,320 hours
204 weeks (rounded down)

Hehe yeah sorry for the zombie resurrection of this thread. :freak: I would do it like the OP's article, accept that without some sort of pics. I really can't tell what he has done based on his description alone. If somebody has pictures of this mod, I would be much obliged.

I based my own idea of this off of what I can see with my airbox having had it all apart. :volvo:

Has everyone used pipe? I found that 2.5" is the perfect size though it is hard to find. How are people blending it into the box?

Last edited:

At best you can negate the drag made by the filter - not one dyno test proves it makes for 1HP

Cold air - yes but Volvo 740s have that already! Adding accordian hose to intake?!? that will just create more turbulent airflow.

RAM AIR DOES NOTHING ON A CAR - DOESN'T TAKE AN ENGINEER TO FIGURE THIS OUT

No more replies to this thread unless you can dyno / track prove me wrong!

Back