• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rear R brake Calipers in 240 - Hard Lines

Harlard

Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?
300+ Club
Hi all,

For those that have made this rear conversion before, is there an off-the-shelf solution available to get the rear brakes to work?

Thanks

No thanks. I hate building brake lines. It also does not resolve the problem that there would need to be a female to female adapter anyway

I think I found what I need:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-785-439/

That and a metric bubble flare assembly should do it, unless somebody else has a better suggestion.

Also considered a compression fitting to extend the hard line but this seems like the type of application where that solution may not be the best...

Buy 3/16" hardline with 10mm bubble flare on both ends from your local autoparts store?

The bubble coupler you posted will allow you to go full TB. if you want find a single line that'll work.

Or you can come by the shop and we can do it with AN fittings and hardlines....

Haha, no problem. I keep going over and over peoples sites in case I missed something useful, I missed it the first time around

https://www.stsmachininginc.com/products/rear-brake-line-kit-for-the-240-rear-big-brake-s60r-kit

I got this, not sure why 77volvo245 didn't post that for ya lol, is that what you need? Maybe its because you said hard lines, This is better and easier.

The only other thing I did in the rear is remove those pressure reducing valves and install a $20 set of stainless lines (from FCP, it is the front brake line set) .

What makes this better or easier? no reason for a flexible line at the caliper for solid axle apps.

Also considered a compression fitting
Illegal in most if not all states, for good reason.

No thanks. I hate building brake lines. It also does not resolve the problem that there would need to be a female to female adapter anyway
I not only find it to be child's play, I enjoy doing steel or copper/nickel lines well. There are female flare nuts. BTW.
I didn't look at all the particulars of your swap, I'm only here for the reported post.

I'ts possible to make a bubble flare using a double flare kit.
That is correct. If you do it on the flat side instead of the flare side of the holding fixture it works very nicely.

One for those who want to get their hose on:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.106
(couldn't find the link to steel lines, got bored)

In my case, it was better because the brake line was about 40 years old. It was easier to bolt on new flexible lines than bend those old ones around.

I did buy a bubble flare tool and used to redo a couple cruddy front lines. It's pretty easy if you buy a good one, my second flare was perfect and the rest were also.

Last edited:
9 series as well.... all the 940s with live axles and the early 960s too. Perhaps the same rear binder kit will bolt up to the 1041 rear axle flanges as STS designed for the 1030/31 rears?

A 1041 is exactly the same aside from the locker carrier.

Back