• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Homer's 1990 240 redblock exorcism

Wait, the car is a required accessory??

Duh!

As per Tom's recommendation (fellow tall person) I spaced the steering wheel out 5cm.
8TOqXrP.jpg

CF8BDia.jpg

Test drive up CA-9 unearthed 240 nirvana. The car fits me like a glove. I honestly can't believe how enjoyable this car is to drive now.

If you had read my build threads you would have known this by now :cameron:

That mentioned, a good driving position is very well worth the time investment. Seats, steering wheel, and LSD are probably more conducive to driving enjoyment than power and handling.

I know im replying to an old issue but i can't find the answer im looking for. Exactly what part did you get to fix the horn and blinker problem? Could you possibly post a link or just a picture please.

This past fall has been a rabbit hole for the 240.
Realized I have about 1/2" of suspension travel up front--> I want the gaz gold short struts --> well the enkeis aren't going to clear the larger diameter tube --> I don't like running adapters --> Guess I need new wheels to make this work --> while im in there I should change out to a stiffer rear spring--> Are the inner tie rods loose?--> better replace everything while im in there --> I really wish I had the new QSRCs-->I don't like the clear corners anymore

Well I went for it...
Gaz Gold short struts
Gen 2 QSRCs
BBS LMs refinished and reverse mounted by 5x108heavyweight (he did a FANTASTIC job on them)
-17x8 ET20, 17x9 ET20
-BMW silver centers with diamond cut lips and bbs wheel bolts in black
-BBS gold centercaps
-BBS valve stems
-65.1 PFS centering rings
-Redrilled with steel inserts to 5x108
Genuwine volvo extended studs
H&R spacers, 20mm front 15mm rear
New ball joints, inner and outer tie rods
350# front (changed to a 10" long spring) and 200# rear springs
Michelin PS4S, 225/45/17, 245/40/17
Cibie tails, front blinkers, headlight lenses and reflectors, and license plate lights
Ditched the HIDs in favor of high zoot halogens
Made a new relayed headlight harness to accommodate the halogens
Had the tint removed

vT0DNq0.jpg

Yo7W5vv.jpg

6mdHLo0.jpg

gB4GrFf.jpg

Installed a late model center armrest last weekend. That really tied the room together. Seriously, all 240s should have a center arm rest
w0hjbko.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the change in direction aesthetically, the car kind of looks more "grown up" now. I wouldn't have picked on the tint but removing it really did something.

This sedan just keeps getting better. Nice work, Jacob.

I see the Kansas rear tags.... will CA have any issues with your powertrain? Never lived out there and not familiar with the laws. You went newer with the engine, so does that newer year emission standards apply?

Awesome! How is the handling now compared to before?
Wonderful, ride quality is amazing.
I really like the change in direction aesthetically, the car kind of looks more "grown up" now. I wouldn't have picked on the tint but removing it really did something.
Thanks for noticing! The car seems more cohesive.
Very nice.

Estimate available compression travel at ride height?
2-2.5"
This sedan just keeps getting better. Nice work, Jacob.

I see the Kansas rear tags.... will CA have any issues with your powertrain? Never lived out there and not familiar with the laws. You went newer with the engine, so does that newer year emission standards apply?
No comment
You're not in Kansas anymore.
Still no comment

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/PSZxmZmBfnU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jacob, I want your car. Trade for a beige 242 with a squirter redblock? I know what I have.

will CA have any issues with your powertrain? Never lived out there and not familiar with the laws. You went newer with the engine, so does that newer year emission standards apply?

Your intuition is correct, for 1976 and newer gas powered cars (1975 and older are exempt). There is an extremely high-scrutiny process for completing a CA-compliant engine swap using an engine from a newer car, but it has to stay absolutely emissions compliant and all of the emissions equipment has to be transferred over from the donor vehicle. As with many bureaucratic processes, the definition of "emissions equipment" will vary greatly based on the state employee you get the pleasure of dealing with. I've heard of radiators, fuel tanks, and transmissions all being counted and required - in addition to the expected stuff like intake, exhaust, turbo, ECU, PCV, EGR, cats, and what have you. They just recently updated the guidelines though for more clarity which probably helps.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engine_Change_Guidelines.aspx

Engine Change Guidelines starting on p. 45 here: https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Check_Reference_Guide.pdf

Back