• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 OEM Volvo E-Code Headlamps and side lights from Skandix AG

wgusler

OEM Volvo E-Code Headlamps and side lights from Skandix (More info in OP)

I have had multiple IM's and e mails asking about the E Codes from Skandix AG so I will post all the info here for reference.

Daniel Stern from DanialsternLighting.com told me about Skandix for OEM Volvo E Codes and discouraged me from buying FCP aftermarket. He gave me the Volvo part numbers for each part as they are not listed by vehicle, you can only find them by part numbers.

I had all ready purchased the FCP kit but just pulled out the chrome trim over the headlamps and set the rest back for a refund. The OEM Volvo trim was 40.00 each so I can live with the FCP 9.99 ones.

I e-mailed Skandix and they replied that the parts were available for on-line ordering but would take 2 weeks as they were special order from Volvo. Shipping to US was 50.00 Euro. Went online and added the four parts to my cart and the total was 471.86 E with shipping and VAT tax. When I entered all my info to complete the order, the price dropped to 404.51 E or $457.84 dollars. I guess that you get a discount when you sign up for the website.

Ordered on 6-1-16 and received them today,6-21-16.

After looking at them, I can say that they are a whole different level of quality and construction from the FCP parts. Here is some pics and a copy of my invoice.

Website is http://www.skandix.de/en/ and the person I contacted was Florian K?rner [florian.koerner@skandix.de]

Any part not listed, e-mail Florian and he will look for it. ( I also ordered a full set of new OEM Volvo front bumper moldings but the price is shameful 219.37 shipped:oops:)

Here is the e-mail from Daniel Stern posted with his permission, with some good info/ advice that saved me from a big mistake IMHO.

Greetings, Mr. Gusler. Thanks for writing:

I have a 1989 Volvo 245 that I am working my way thru.

A very fine start!

have an E code headlamp kit on the way from FCP Euro

Oof. Those are cheap and nasty knockoffs from China, very poorly made, with unsafe performance and fraudulent type approvals. Ryan's got a page about that on his site:
http://www.ohio.edu/people/ridgely/e-code-comp.htm

He gives the off-brand junk a great deal more credit than it deserves, and he made that comparison years ago; the knockoffs have grown considerably worse in quality and performance since then (worn tooling).

The low price on the counterfeit headlamps is attractive, of course, but they really don't even qualify as headlamps.
They are headlamp-shaped trinkets. The Brazilian units he compared are no longer readily obtainable, but the genuine European Cibie units (in turn better than the Brazilian
ones) can still be had -- I don't supply them, but sourcing info is below. Here is the info file:

To see well in an '86-up 240, you need to change to the European headlamps. The genuine Volvo items are the ones to get, not the Scan-Tech, DJAuto, Depo, TYC, Genera, Fifft, "ProParts Sweden" or other off-brand units that are all over the internet. Their low price is attractive, but the quality, performance, and durability are all significantly inferior to the genuine items, so make the effort to get the genuine items. These can be had from Wagner und Guenther or from Skandix. Write to p.ludwig@w-und-g.de and to info@skandix.de and specifically request "genuine Volvo OEM" lamps. You will need the headlamps *and* the corner park/turn lamps; the US park/turn lamps will not fit/work, so you will need one of each of the following part numbers:

The only other component needed is the "eyebrow" trim at the very top of the headlamp. This isn't Euro-specific; if you wish, you can remove it from your existing headlamps and affix it to the new ones.
Or else you can
purchase new trim -- the aftermarket items from FCP are fine, as this is not a safety-crucial component so "aftermarket quality" isn't a big concern as it is with lamps.

A relay package will definitely be necessary; that'll be kit RIK-H4R, $59. The RIK is not a harness, but a _parts kit_ containing all relays, brackets, terminal blocks, terminals, plugs, sockets, fuses and fuseholders. You supply your own wire and use the parts from the kit to build up your own wiring harness. Specific instructions are provided, and the concept is explained at http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html
.Parts are specially made premium-grade items (e.g. ceramic headlamp sockets) that accept large-gauge wire; this is not the "consumer grade" junk you can find at the parts store.
Or, I can have my harness builder custom build you a ready-to-install harness assembly using the same components.
Cost for this option is $159 (including parts and labour - you pick _either_ the relay kit _or_ the custom-built harness. It costs more than the $30 to $50 Chinese prefab harnesses because it is not a Chinese prefab harness).
Installation is simple: you run the marked wires to battery positive and to battery negative, snap the harness plug onto one of the vehicle's original headlamp sockets, snap the harness sockets onto the headlamps, and secure the cable runs and relays neatly out of harm's way. Either way, parts kit or built-up harness, the in-car switches continue working normally, and you will not need to cut or otherwise disturb any of the vehicle's original wires.

Bulbs:

Use Osram 70/65w H4 bulbs, $21.59/ea (from me). It's tempting to grab for big wattage numbers, but it's counterproductive. Please see bulb test results posted by my colleague Virgil at http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?392498-Interesting-headlight-bulb-test-results

Lamp aim:

Aim the new lamps per the "VOL" specifications at http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html -- very preferably with an optical aiming machine.

Daytime running lights:

As described above, the European corner park/turn lamps (if they're the genuine items, properly specified) have a socket for a 2-filament bulb in the upper compartment. The dim filament in the upper chamber is used for the parking light function, same as the US corner park/turn lamps (which won't fit with the Euro headlamps). The bright filament in the upper chamber is used, in the Nordic countries, for the daytime running light function. It's not very difficult to set up the DRLs as they were originally engineered to work.
Parts kit RIK-VDRL ($33) contains what you need. Result of the installation: with the ignition on, the parking lamps or headlamps off, and the handbrake released, the DRLs are on.
Any other case (handbrake applied, parking or headlamps on, ignition off) the DRLs are off.

Result: with the ignition on, the parking lamps or headlamps off, and the handbrake released, the DRLs are on. Any other case (handbrake applied, parking or headlamps on, ignition off) the DRLs are off.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-240-european-e-code-headlight-headlights

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/headlight-bulb-wiring-for-h4-bulb-9003

Ugh, no. Those wires are WAY too thin.

Cheers and drive safely,

Daniel Stern

tech@danielsternlighting.com .

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the final pictures and info. I will likely order a set this week. Might get some tail lights too, since the OEM E-code versions of those are considerably cheaper than buying U.S. lights from a dealer over here.

I noticed you ordered the "daytime running light" versions of the corner lamps. Are you planning on wiring them up to use this function?

Thanks for posting. Looking as well, and have been on the fence between US stock or e-code- aftermarket or Volvo. These are the correct ones for the right hand traffic/ left hand drive- correct?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the final pictures and info. I will likely order a set this week. Might get some tail lights too, since the OEM E-code versions of those are considerably cheaper than buying U.S. lights from a dealer over here.

I noticed you ordered the "daytime running light" versions of the corner lamps. Are you planning on wiring them up to use this function?

Yes, my 1989 245 has daytime running lights. It was that way when we bought it. I will just change them to the LEDs that are in the car now.

Thanks for posting. Looking as well, and have been on the fence between US stock or e-code- aftermarket or Volvo. These are the correct ones for the right hand drive- correct?

Yes:
Part number Description
1372394 Left headlamp, complete (HASY) -Countries with right-hand traffic
1372395 Right headlamp, complete (HASY)

I recently installed used OEM e-codes but I'm having a hell of a time keeping the corner lights in place. Did your kit come with a clip to keep them in place?

They do look higher quality than what FCP sells, that being said, I got the same aftermarket (non-Skandix), but from a different supplier than FCP when they went on sale a few years ago for $250, and I've been very happy with them. Either way, you can go wrong, if you are willing to pay the going price. They put out nice light.

They snap in place. Plastic could be broken!

As far as I can tell it isn't but perhaps they were deformed so that it is just too loose. I ended up using a metal clip on the flat plastic tab between the two connectors. So far its held but I was wondering if I had missed something.

Thanks for posting. Looking as well, and have been on the fence between US stock or e-code- aftermarket or Volvo. These are the correct ones for the right hand drive- correct?

If he is in the US and i think he is, FL, then he would have ordered for LEFT hand drive cars.

OP you did order for left hand drive yes?

Yes, the confusion comes in with the terminology. The listing for "right hand traffic" is for "left hand drive" and "left hand traffic" is for "right hand drive". US is right hand traffic / left hand drive. The lamps are Listed as "Countries with right-hand traffic"

From Ohio.EDU:
Since the headlamp's beam pattern is designed to light up things above the horizon on the side of the road, the headlamps must be from a country that drives on the right hand side of the road ("left hand drive" or "right hand traffic") since the reflectors and lenses will be different in the UK and Australia

Last edited:
I wonder what these cost for a 940...really really nice looking and obviously high quality. I love a nice looking factory harness - currently not the case with my car. Grrr.

Thanks for posting. Looking as well, and have been on the fence between US stock or e-code- aftermarket or Volvo. These are the correct ones for the Right hand traffic/left hand drivecorrect?
Fixed. Apologies for the confusion.

Yes:
Part number Description
1372394 Left headlamp, complete (HASY) -Countries with right-hand traffic
1372395 Right headlamp, complete (HASY)
Thanks for the part numbers!

Yes, the confusion comes in with the terminology. The listing for "right hand traffic" is for "left hand drive" and "left hand traffic" is for "right hand drive". US is right hand traffic / left hand drive. The lamps are Listed as "Countries with right-hand traffic"

From Ohio.EDU:
Since the headlamp's beam pattern is designed to light up things above the horizon on the side of the road, the headlamps must be from a country that drives on the right hand side of the road ("left hand drive" or "right hand traffic") since the reflectors and lenses will be different in the UK and Australia
I do believe this is the article I read that really was well written. Researching the subject has led me to conclude that these are top shelf, and bring the car a decade or two up the safety scale.
Thanks again.

This is super useful. Thanks for posting!

Also, your price dropped because you don't owe them any VAT (value added tax, aka sales tax).

Back