• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Will the AW71L hold for 185hp unmodified?

InTheWhite

Hi!

Im new here and from Sweden, so you have to excuse my English.

I wonder if my AW71L in my 945 Turbo will hold for 185hp unmodified? Im driving pretty carfully and have an extra oil cooler in line with the original.

I've never owned one but that's only like 20 hp over stock so I would imagine you won't have any issue.

But remember, torque (and heat) kills transmissions, not power. You're most likely a little over 200 torque, right? Any reason for *not* doing the accumulator mod?

I don't know the differences between the 71L and 71 (besides the lockup), but the 71L is known for being the best I believe
Remember the highest power output [at least in America] was 188 I believe - any late model turbos with turbo+. Those transmissions, even before they started doing the accumulator mods, are known to take much more abuse than that.

Accumulator mod is not so usual here in Sweden, and i am pretty new with atomatic transmission. So if its not necessary i'd rather not do it.

Mine engine is an B230FK, which is low pressure turbo with 135hp original. However the tranny is the same as in full pressure turbos.

I havent noticed any slipping in the transmission so far, and the atf stays red between the changes, so it's probably not overheating?

Accumulator mod is not so usual here in Sweden, and i am pretty new with atomatic transmission. So if its not necessary i'd rather not do it.

Mine engine is an B230FK, which is low pressure turbo with 135hp original. However the tranny is the same as in full pressure turbos.

I havent noticed any slipping in the transmission so far, and the atf stays red between the changes, so it's probably not overheating?

Accumulator mod isn't necessary, it's just a good idea for faster shifts and a happier, longer lasting transmission.

That transmission will take over 200hp all day, guys run 300 through them with accumulator mods. I estimate my 940T on its best day was making around 230whp and the stock AW71 was happy without modding it. I plan to modify it when it comes out.

Edit: As far as a stock transmission, and staying in the same neighborhood of stock power levels, the AW transmissions in these cars are super reliable and are over-built for their applications. Automatics suck and all, but at least these cars came with top-quality ****. Not GM junk destined to die after 100k miles then every 30k after that needs a rebuild.

Last edited:
Isn't it changing gear pretty hard after the mod?

Today my engine delivers max 185hk and 290Nm torqe, so then i should be pretty safe?

I never stall it or burn rubber, that was in my youth.;-)

it should be fine. I'd probably still do the accumulator mod, but that's not really a lot of power. They don't start suffering without the accumulator mod until you're making power up high and probably even then I'd say the boundary for short life without is somewhere in the 250hp range or so.

FWIW GM transmissions aren't junk, but they tend to undersize the transmission for the task over there in the halls of gm.

Right around 250 HP they go away quickly, like Kenny said above. Greg went through 6 AW-71's at that power level. Then, on the 7th transmission he did the accumulator mod and that trans has been in the car ever since. He's running 300+ HP now.

Okey! So up to 200hp shouldn't be a problem unmodified, sounds fine! :)

However i will look into a modify and learn more about it.

Thanks for all help! :urgod:

FWIW GM transmissions aren't junk, but they tend to undersize the transmission for the task over there in the halls of gm.

Sorry if I stepped on toes :oops: every GM vehicle I ever owned crapped a transmission. One was a genuine GM reman with less than 30k on it. After that I swore 'em off. I've yet to kill a AW trans and I've done some insanely dumb things with them between all the Volvos and Toyotas I drive/have driven.

It will be stiff, but from what I understand it isn't "harsh". Fast gear changes = less heat being generated = longer trans life. Not to mention faster shifts make for a faster ride ;)

Sorry if I stepped on toes :oops: every GM vehicle I ever owned crapped a transmission. One was a genuine GM reman with less than 30k on it. After that I swore 'em off. I've yet to kill a AW trans and I've done some insanely dumb things with them between all the Volvos and Toyotas I drive/have driven.

not hurtin' any feelin's. like I said, they like to undersize the trans for the app... I mean seriously, a pickup with that lightweight piece of 4L60 **** in it? that's like a 4 slammer gearbox, not a 6 or 8.

It will be stiff, but from what I understand it isn't "harsh". Fast gear changes = less heat being generated = longer trans life. Not to mention faster shifts make for a faster ride ;)

yea. quick tends to be construed often as harsh, but I never really found any of em to be unpleasant.

Definitely not harsh with the mod done. Been running my 71L for almost 100k (will hit that by summer) with the mod done and 250+ thru it the entire time.

But honestly, the 185hp you're talking...no issue. The Turbo+ kit bumped the power to 188hp from the factory, so no worries there.

Today my engine delivers max 185hk and 290Nm torqe, so then i should be pretty safe?

I never stall it or burn rubber, that was in my youth.;-)

No, I did the mod and left about an 1/8" gap. Mine shifts smooth during normal driving , just faster as far as time it take to change. Only shifts hard at wide open throttle. Do it!

Back