• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242gt with a twist

242gtrb25

Hey all. Just picked up a fairly clean 1979 242gt as a new project. It's getting a full bare metal respray & an rb25det for something different. I'm new to the world of volvos but not to vehicle restos/modifications. Will post some starting photos & updates as it proceeds. Any advice is always welcomed!

Hey all. Just picked up a fairly clean 1979 242gt as a new project. It's getting a full bare metal respray & an rb25det for something different. I'm new to the world of volvos but not to vehicle restos/modifications. Will post some starting photos & updates as it proceeds. Any advice is always welcomed!

Welcome to TB mate. Where abouts in Sydney are you?

Sounds like a lot of work which will ultimately be impressive and a real head turner.

However, it may be just cheaper to buy this.

I can completely understand the wish to build something yourself though, so good luck with it :-)

oh Btw, The aussies tend to hang out in the monthly Bruces thread. Just search for Bruce and you'll find it.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks mate.

South Penrith, I'm a westie. lol

Yeah it probably would be but I got the car for $400, getting motor/box etc for $3000, a mate & I doing all the body work & paint ourselves so it shouldn't be too bad $$ wise.

Plus the rb can be wound up pretty easily for some good rwhp, make it a real sleeper. :oogle:

i've been wanting to do a rb25det swap in my 76 245DL forever, but not having a decent job is killing that dream. I can pick one up in Atlanta for around $1400-1600 US with 5speed and wiring harness/ecu and a warranty.

good luck i'll be watching this thread!

I looked into 1j & 2j's but they would require some major tunnel chopping whereas the nissan 5 speed doesn't. Registration bodies over here in Australia get funny when you start chopping trans tunnels etc. The engineer said getting certificates would be easier if I didn't have to do too much.

It won't let me post pics yet on here. As soon as I can I will post some.

Ok, help the volvo illiterate please. lol
Will most 240 bits fit the 242gt? Especially after a new bonnet. Mine came with the v6 bonnet (the one with the long nose lip in the centre) & I want to get it back to more original looks for the ultimate sleeper look.

240= later 242, except with 4 doors. The early 240s got designated by how many doors they had(242=coupe, 244=sedan, 245=wagon), at a certain point they all just had the 240 designation. You're hood is not a v6 hood, its just the "coffin hood" style(the cars also had quad rectangle headlights).

Short answer: yes, they will cross over.

Cheers, thanks for that. The guy I got it off said it was so I just believed him, said it was a 264 bonnet or something like that.
Now, to find the flat 240 bonnet.

Hey, thanks mate.

South Penrith, I'm a westie. lol

Yeah it probably would be but I got the car for $400, getting motor/box etc for $3000, a mate & I doing all the body work & paint ourselves so it shouldn't be too bad $$ wise.

Plus the rb can be wound up pretty easily for some good rwhp, make it a real sleeper. :oogle:

sweet man, im always out penrith way for uni. lol im jealous, ive been looking around for a cheap sub $1k 242 and found nothing.

Back