• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

volvo 240 with tires from west germany

turd_polisher

Came into possession of this old 240. Dash shows 1500 miles and I'm inclined to believe it. interior is almost perfect, has what i believe are the original tires on it. Really dig the license plate and frame.

I fixed some coolant leaks and replaced the fuel pumps to get it running. It had been sitting for a long time.

Im not ready for another 240 sedan in my fleet right now so probably will sell this one. What do you guys think? is this worth anything? please check out the photos

Qv0r0u2.jpg

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/3Z3icJH"><a href="//imgur.com/a/3Z3icJH">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

^ :nod:

Looks like 'Rambo' the 69 145 our first Volvo in the family.

Those were the days, if your 140 was straight and alinged those tires lasted ~70K miles and wore down perfectly evenly, just buy tires and go again for another 70K.

^ :nod:

Looks like 'Rambo' the 69 145 our first Volvo in the family.

Those were the days, if your 140 was straight and alinged those tires lasted ~70K miles and wore down perfectly evenly, just buy tires and go again for another 70K.

Just put a set of Michelin XZXs on my 71 145. Now they're made in Serbia :-(

Hilarious inflation spec too as per door sticker on the 145: 23psi front, 36 psi rear :lol:

Aaaaand also one has a slow leak (possibly the rim).

Kind of spendy compared to modern tires till you figure miles per dollar or compare them to the $50 - $65 they were back in the day adjusted for inflation.

You guys are missing the tire tread.

picture.php

That's different... sho' ain't no XZX. Or is that the spare?

PO put the spare on one wheel, and one of the regular wheels in the trunk. The spare's the one that reads SPECIAL SPARE. That's a firestone tire that (all?) 240s came with.

I have a 80 240 in the shop with 17k miles. It still had those west Germany Michelins on it as well!. I got a new set for it but kept the old ones in the trunk. Car sat inside a garage since 1986

Seems it's been sitting outside for some time perhaps? A shame that the rust is breaking out all over it.

Phony baloney spare wheel was later, I want to say 85+ maybe 86?

1980 or so. All of my 242s have had one of those in them when I got them. The Phony Baloney jack used in 245s was used in sedans in 1986-on. That one being the potmetal junk that collapses the first time you use it.

*edit* Yup, 1980 was the first year of the 165H14 spare in the sedans and the 175H14 spare in the wagons. Before 1980, only cars to have a special spare were the 242GT and the 262C. That deflatable one.

Last edited:
Back