• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

stress cracks in camshaft cap

Kyle245

Is a camshaft cap something I can buy new? Or am I going to a wrecking yard for this part? Yesturday I noticed a couple of small lines in the #1 cap (nearest to belt) while reinstalling the head. The cracks are very small but they are quite long. This is on my 92 volvo 245. Which I am struggling to get running well. I just had the head rebuilt and a used B cam installed last week. I appreciate any help! Photo coming.

Are you sure those are cracks? Seems like an odd place to crack.

cap is the stressed half of things--valve springs pressing UP, an front-est-est cam the most-est stressed becuz of cam belt drive tensioner and stuffs>>

1 really nice motor motor which ironically was commissioned with 1 job in mind--beat B21T 8v Volvo Group A car--which it did massively---that motor has a ball bearing ON the camshaft just behind the cam belt drive pulleys..
That gives some indication on where the big stress is.. (cuase the guys that designed the head were/are the best head guys in the whole world AND world leader in machine processing and casting--holding several patents in production casting techniques..

It suggests where the stress is by it's uniqueness--as far as i can tell).

Would line boring be mandatory when changing camshafts? Seems like it should be... But wouldn't all the guides and caps need to be replaced? Below is a path to Volvo forums where I place a similar thread and attached photos of the cap. For some reason I don't have attachment access here.
b230-camshaft-cap-stress-cracks-found-94236

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-260-760-960-28/b230-camshaft-cap-stress-cracks-found-94236/

I'll bet they are just casting tracks that look like cracks. Pretty common on aluminum oil pans from what I've seen.

This. I've seen cam caps that had weird little casting marks in them before. They look almost like hairs in the aluminum.

OP, can you post a pic of what you're talking about?

Would line boring be mandatory when changing camshafts? Seems like it should be...

A good machine shop would check this for you if you let them know you're swapping cams.

But wouldn't all the guides and caps need to be replaced?

Guides need replacement whenever new valves are installed or if they cannot be knurled. Caps are rarely (never) replaced and shims should be set when reinstalling the cam.

For some reason I don't have attachment access here

Contributors do ;-)

So I studied the lines with four guys at work and 3 out of 4 think they are casting lines 1 just said, it sure doesn't look new. We were using a good magnifying glass and I were able to see much more. So basically, the cam is worked over pretty hard, you can see the stress, but the major lines that I thought were cracks do appear to be casting lines. Why does my cam have two casting lines right through the middle? I don't know? Friday at the factory perhaps. Thanks for the help!

you could take a die grinder with a sanding bit and polish it and if its a crack it will remain. If its casting line then it will disappear. You will have to seal off the rest of the head really-really well. Clean it with carb cleaner; use some really good duct tape. Personally I dont believe it is a crack.

Back