• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

164RS project

This has been two great days of reading, and goggling at pictures. Loving your dedication to details and the effort your putting into it. Can't wait for new updates now :)

This also makes me happy that spring is here, so I can pick up my 240 from winter storage and start working on it again.

Thanks for the suggestions and the kind words.

I think I have found a way to get the bonnet looking OK - working on that now.

Hoping to get basecoat and lacquer on the car this weekend, if all goes well. Wish me luck !!

John

Well. It nearly got painted, but not quite.

We put on a full basecoat a few days ago, then I dry flatted very carefully all over the car, correcting imperfections.

252.jpg

253.jpg

254.jpg

After many hours of effort, I finally got the bonnet to an acceptable standard - not 100% but pretty good
255.jpg

256.jpg

257.jpg

258.jpg

259.jpg

Ellis starting to put on what we intended to be the final basecoat
260.jpg

Most of it looks good, but we had to stop because on some panels small areas of the new paint reacted with the primer underneath. This needs to dry out, then be flatted and covered with an isolator coat - before trying again with basecoat. So, the car won't be shiny for a few days yet, but it's getting there!

261.jpg

262.jpg

263.jpg

264.jpg

More soon!

Cheers

John

Last edited:
Amazing job man, lots of ideas for my rebuild. Have a '75 164e with the bw35 as my current daily driver, also have one with the m410 tranny I plan on restoring ground up when money permits.

I'm happy tonight! It's painted and looking good so far.

The standard is what I was hoping for. The bonnet is about 90% right and all other panels are all 95%+

There is some dust in the lacquer but that's no problem - it will come out when we flat and polish. We will flat and apply a few more coats of lacquer in a few days to get a really deep shine on the final finish.

268.jpg

269.jpg

270.jpg

272.jpg

273.jpg

274.jpg

275.jpg

277.jpg

278.jpg

279.jpg

280.jpg

281.jpg

282.jpg

284.jpg

285.jpg

286.jpg

287.jpg

288.jpg

289.jpg

290.jpg

291.jpg

292.jpg

293.jpg

294.jpg

Great thanks to my friend Ellis, the maestro with the spray-gun!

More progress at the weekend.

John

Looks better than perfect to me :e-shrug:

Honestly, I don't know how you will drive this thing in public roads without being scared out of your mind about scratching it constantly.

I dig the 19th pic where it looks like the white pipe in garage goes into the roof.

Shiny paint is shiny!

Back