• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Replacing factory style RSR with common modern 4 pin relay

Bigjake34452

is This not common practice? Mine is bad, I see many many posts ending up with RSR being bad and seems like the better thing to do is to use a standard 40 amp relay available everywhere.. are there others who have done this

I'm sure plenty of people have changed the relay to the more common spade terminal type of relay. The stock relay is also pretty cheap though so it's easy to stash a spare.

Anytime a relay is a repeat offender, I wire a new relay next to it. Use the original relay to turn on the new relay so no real current goes through the problem relay. Extra wires, but ends the problem almost always.

This one tends to do well unless it corrodes. Or the waterproof bullet connectors on the harness fall apart. But you can pop it open and clean it up like most other relays in the car. The silicone on the bottom of the relay fails and water gets in.
If you do replace it with a generic relay, make sure to get a waterproof relay socket for the same reason. But the specific RSR is very cheap new, if you can't save it by reflowing or cleaning it. And the harness connector is fixable with parts as common as (and cheaper than) waterproof relay sockets.
The harness side connectors can be replaced with generic 3.5mm waterproof female bullet terminals, if you don't feel like buying the correct pigtails. They won't be a perfect fit with the plastic retainer but won't interfere with it. And it will still be water resistant. If the wires aren't damaged below the terminals, you might be able to avoid using butt splices.

I replaced the rsr with a 40 amp relay in the 765 Hoovie wagon about 6 years ago,
How did you splice it to the harness? I had to make a set of pigtails, and attach them to the harness with crimps which I filled with UV glue. I'm not proud of that one.

Cut the connectors of and put new spade's on.

google Volvo RSR relay and use the diagram for the new relay.

i just did this the other day.

Back