• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

93 240 horn inop. or intermittent

paulcurran

my 93 240 horn works occasionally, sometimes not at all. 93 horns suck (only come with one horn), so I wired in a second one. When they work they sound fine. Problem seems to be inside, I took airbag off & worked the metal contacts manually & they are flaky working from there. Tried filing the little contacts, still flaky. One side worked occasionally but issue is the same. Feels like I'm missing some piece of understanding how they work.
Tried googling this but didn't come up with good answers. Need help, thanks.

My understanding is there are two horns: high notes and low notes. My horn doesn't work at all. I think I found some info - I'll look for it. Interested in following this since I also have horn problem. Sorry this isn't solution you're looking for ....

I was going to suggest that it's a grounding issue in the wheel, that's what mine was, but apparently you've already had the wheel off.

Your contacts may be clean but maybe you're still not getting a proper ground when pushing the horn. I'd take the airbag back out and have a look again.

That's what fixed mine..

Horns are like opera singers. If they don't get used much the don't work very good . Get your favorite hammer and give them a whack while your helper energizes the switch.

After convincing myself I had all the grounds fixed, I did just what you suggested. I got help with pushing the horn at the steering wheel, then I sprayed pb blaster down the horn holes & hit the horns with a hammer & now they both toot almost like an opera! Thanks!

Last edited:
Horns are like opera singers. If they don't get used much the don't work very good . Get your favorite hammer and give them a whack while your helper energizes the switch.

There's a good reason for this behavior. Horns, in 1993, were not solid state. They have a set of contact points inside. They can suffer the same corrosion effects points everywhere suffer, from old distributors to window switches to horn buttons. But these are exposed to the heaviest onslaught of weather and road salt right behind the grill. Normally protected from the elements by the horn's housing, they've lost hermetic seal over the decades.

Keep tooting now and then to keep them clean. I was taught to toot exiting an alley, but no one else seems to remember that protocol. Especially passing sidewalk pedestrians.

In my 93 the original crappy horn rusted out and died. After that I got a couple of twin horns on their bracket from a 240 turbo twice the age and wired them in with a relay and now it blasts away.

If it isn't just a weak old horn as discussed. Make sure the ground for the steering column is good. That can fall off. It has been awhile so I can't tell you exactly where it is but there should be a ground wire on the column under the dash. The horn works by grounding the circuit with the button.

Back