• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

76 Volvo 264 84k PRV barn find

dartheyeball

I was browsing the Volvo orphan thread, like I always do, when I saw a listing 76 Volvo 264 for $500. I made contact with the seller and he informed me that the car was something he acquired when he bought a 12 car garage. He was just trying to clear out the cars so he could use the space.To make a long story short, the Volvo had been purchased in 1985 and then promptly parked in the garage. It has not moved for the past 33 years.What interested me was the retro styling and the old dash pad style.

The windshield had been busted out by some mischievous kids some time ago. This allowed stray cats to make the Volvo their litter box. It really was a sad state to see the car in. It is now parked in my garage awaiting the next steps of its journey. There is rust around where the windshield once resided. The PRV V6 looks like it has been stopped in time. I would love to restore it, but it may be one of those "forever" builds. The transmission is also stuck in neutral. It goes without saying that everything metal has acquired a flavor of rust.

Last edited:
The PRV V6 in all of it's glory

Volvo%20264%20040518-8858.JPG

I owe the tow truck driver a huge thank you for towing the Volvo on the 33 year old front tires. Predictably he had a blow out on the interstate and shards of metal did wonders for the body work and emblems.

Volvo%20264%20040518-8861.JPG

Volvo%20264%20040518-8901.JPG

84K original miles

Volvo%20264%20040518-8877.JPG

Kids busted out the windshield

Volvo%20264%20040518-8872.JPG

Stray cats moved in and destroyed most of the interior

Volvo%20264%20040518-8875.JPG

Volvo%20264%20040518-8879.JPG

There is a long list of things to do if this car is ever going to see the road again.

Last edited:
dang i have a couple of 740s that were stored outside for the last 18 years and they look far better than that. Good luck to you sir.

Today I finally got time to tear into the engine. I wanted to see if it cranked easily. Sadly, the engine is seized. It won't rotate in either direction. I applied enough force to rock the entire engine back and forth. Ironically I was able to break the crank bolt loose. This leaves me facing a conundrum.

1. Rebuilt the current B27 engine

2. Acquire a 3.0 Premier/Monaco engine and create a hybrid using the 3.0 block and the odd firing heads

3. Swap in a B6304 or T6.

I have spent days researching the PRV engines. I have read enough threads to make my eyes bleed. I am leaning towards making a hybrid 3.0 engine. I will recheck the engine one more time just to verify it's seized later on today. I sprayed some PB Blaster on the crank in hopes that it could just be some rust. I'll pull the spark plugs and pour some oil down in the cylinders to see if I can get the engine to turn.

IMG_20180519_132023.jpg

Last edited:
Why is it that most of these "barn finds" always look more like they were stored outside for 30 plus years then pushed into the barn to be "found".

Back