• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Lucky 13 81 244 build

DCOE 240

Well like you have read many times before, its time to do a build thread. So here we go...

The Story;

I got started with Volvos in the mid 90's. My wife's uncle was buying totaled Volvos, repairing them and then selling them. My first was a 1972 242 with about 50k on it (wish I still had it). From there I continued buying Volvos for me and my wife. Since then I've had a 244 GLT, 244 GL, 740 Turbo, 850, V50, V70, and a few more. About three years ago I was looking for a cheep DD for myself. I found a guy selling two Volvos, a 81 244 and a 82 245 GLT, that had been sitting in his yard for 8 years. Neither one was running but I got both for $250.00. After I got them home and started going threw them I found out that the 244 was in perfect original condition but the motor was blown. The 245 was beat but had a good motor, minus the turbo someone had removed, and lots of good donor parts. So I decided to build the 244. So this Volvo was my 13th, LUCKY 13.

The 244 had a carbed B23 motor in it (the guy I bought it from worked for the state and managed to get it smoged through the referee for me). So I pulled both motors, swapped them and ended up with the B23 and a manual trans. I had to buy was gaskets, hoses, tires and a battery. In about three weeks I was on the road with about $1000.00 into my new ride. Im terrible with pictures and I could only find one picture in its original state.

IMG_6090.jpg

About a year later I did the first major up grade PAINT. I used 2007 Subaru WRX PPG blue. Painted it in my driveway and it came out pretty good. Took all the trim off the 245 because it was all black. Also put new window scrapers on and cleaned everything. Took the Vergos off the 245 and put some 205/50/15 on them after painting them silver. Again I flaked on the pictures. Ill throw in a current photo so you can get an idea.

IMG_7844.jpg

Since I drive 70 miles a day for work and I'm an ex-stereo nut, I had to have a stereo. I like all of the stereo gear from the mid late 90's (much better quality) so using ebay I found some new old stock MB Quart RSB 130 5 1/4 coaxial (the real german made ones) a Precision Power amp (cant remember the numbers but its a rare three channel AM series) a MB Quart 12" sub and a Clarion Pro Audio DRX9275L. The Head unit I put in the upper location in the dash with a custom trim plate. I put the 5 1/4 coaxials in the kick panels. I cut out the metal behind the kick panel and made a fiberglass pocket for the speaker to fit. Then I covered the kick panel with factory Volvo vinyl (from the back of a seat on a JY car). The sub is mounted behind the back seat in a 1.25 cubic foot enclosure. The amp and crossovers are mounted in the trunk where the spare used to go. I made a metal rack to hold them with some room for expansion. Sounds great for three speakers and one amp.

IMG_6742.jpg

IMG_9787.jpg

Next it was time for some metal work. I made a custom header and 2 1/2" exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler. The header started off as a small block chevy header from the junk yard for $20.00. I got a Volvo flange for $50.00 from RSI. A few cuts and welds later I had a new header for $70.00. After the collector is a v-band clamp then 2 1/2 to the cat and muffler. The exhaust exits on the passenger side between the rear tire and mud flap.

IMG_5671.jpg

IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_4685.jpg

Next was a strut tower bar. I welded 1/8 plate to the strut towers then welded brackets to the plate. I made a strut tower bar out of 1x2 square tubing with tapered ends to bolt to the brackets. Spent about $30.00 on it

IMG_5552.jpg

Then I did an electric fan from an 850 with the 850 relay and fuses. I used the fan shroud from my original set up and mounted the electric fan to it. I used a thermostat from http://www.electricfanengineering.c...mostats.html?gclid=CPiCp9-uzKYCFQdMgwodRSXiHQ works great in the 100 plus heat. Next was an oil cooler from a 740 at the JY. I ran braided lines with an fittings and put the cooler in the front grill.

IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_7840.jpg

New 91+ windshield which was a pain to get done. Had to go to probaly 10 different glass shops to get them to do it.

Finally new wheels. They started off as HYUNDAI TUCSON 17 x 6.5 with 5 x 4 1/4 bolt pattern from e-bay (got them for $160.00). I cut the centers out, flipped them and re-welded them. I changed the offset so the wheels sit as far out as possible without rubbing. I re-drilled the hubs to fit the new bolt pattern. They worked out great and a lot lighter then the Dodge ones.

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_7844.jpg

IMG_4497.jpg

Next was the grill. I removed the center then sanded off the chrome covering. I painted it black then put in a mesh center. I had several Volvo emblems around so I used double sided tape and mounted on to the lower portion of the grill. Cheep and light

IMG_5259.jpg

Just finished up the serpentine belt and new accessories from an 850 Volvo.

IMG_2416.jpg

I have a few projects im currently working on. A new aluminum radiator, re-locate battery to trunk, turbo and all the fixings.

Last edited:
Nice car...

I love the accessory belt/pump setup...

I'd love to see these go into production.

Nice work!

As for my concern in Performance, about there being clearance around the PS pump for alternate intake manifolds...I think the above picture shows it won't clear, but maybe...if there is a 850 PS pump with remote reservoir.

Finaly had some time to get some stuff done. I got a new radiator from Summit Racing. Bigger and cheaper then the stock one. I made an aluminum shourd and mounted me e fan that came from an 850. Also I drilled and taped the pitcock for the fan switch. I made a new mounting bracket which is alos aluminum.

IMG_2714-1.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_3603-1.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_3826.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_8067.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4573.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Modified the serpentine belt set up a little bit. Changed to a double sided belt and rerouted it. Also put in a metal flexible radiator hose.
IMG_9213.jpg
IMG_1163.jpg

Haven posted anything about the car in a while. Last post i was collecting parts for a +T which is on hold for now. I have cleaned up the motor a bit. I painted and rewired everything. I also moved the battery to the trunk. PnP charges the same price for every battery cable so i got a couple of battery cables from BMW (battery in the trunk) they were like $6.00 for 15 feet of 3/0. Also got a B cam and that made a huge improvement on the RPM range.

Here is the motor prepped for painting

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

Here is it finished

IMG_8204.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_9885.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

Also did a little work to the stereo system. Added a second amp and got the battery mounted in the trunk.

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

Last edited:
Car looks great, good to see the car is still with you! You seem very handy making the coil overs and other stuff you mentioned earlier in your build! Keep it coming!

Thanks again. Im excited to get the front end re-built. The a-arms are going to be similer to these but not stainless and im going to run bushings not solid joints.

IMG_1529.jpg

Gonna make some of those a arms? I need a set!!! :D

Im not that far along yet but we will see. I will update the post with progress photos as I get parts done. Im still working out some of the engineering but hope to have something together in the next few weeks.

Back