• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Long Cranking Time When Warm

If the problems started when you put whitebody injectors in your car, i'd switch back to the original injectors and see how it starts.

THIS!

BTW did you bypass the resistor pack when you put in whitetops? They are high Z injectors. Greenies are low z.

Resistor pack was bypassed. I get 12V at each connector. I've been running these injectors since January. Man I wish it was that simple! I'm heading to NAPA this weekend to pick up a replacement pintle cap/seals for one of my old green tops. I bet the problem goes away but I'm not convinced that there is something wrong with the injectors (white body). I don't think this is a fueling issue because there are no other problems while running, no smoke, no excess gas consumption, idle is rock solid, etc. I'm running 13 lbs of boost with an IPD cam and NPR intercooler and the white body injectors have made a noticeable difference all around. No ping at any point. So I'm not convinced that there is a fueling issue or that the injectors are bad. The plugs look normal. No codes.

If the injectors were leaking, then that would mean fuel pressure is being lost and I'd see black smoke on start up. Not the case.
Also, why does the engine come on in 1 crank in the morning, but take 20 in the afternoon, after sitting in a parking lot for 8 hours? If an injector was leaking, wouldn't the morning start be the worst?

Maybe the ECU just doesn't like them?

Last edited:
Cold start takes more fuel and the ignition timing is more advanced.

We could theorize about it all day, but best thing to do is put the stockers back in there and see what happens. Especially if you claim it happened after injector swap.

Cold start takes more fuel and the ignition timing is more advanced.

We could theorize about it all day, but best thing to do is put the stockers back in there and see what happens. Especially if you claim it happened after injector swap.

I can't wait to see what happens! Saturday, assuming NAPA has EV1 injector seal kits.

Lummert, I haven't replaced that but if the problem persists with stock injectors, I will.

Airleaks will also make a big difference. Have you pressure tested the intake system? Smoke test? Fuel pressure test. Oxygen sesnor voltage readings once warm!

The ECU ignores 02 sensor when in open loop. Open loop=cold starts. I don't know if it goes into closed loop right away on warm starts. I don't know what conditions need to be met on these cars to go into closed loop.

Check 02 sensor voltage. If pegged at .1v or .9v once warmed up=problema.

I can't wait to see what happens! Saturday, assuming NAPA has EV1 injector seal kits.

Lummert, I haven't replaced that but if the problem persists with stock injectors, I will.

Ford uses same injector seals. The seals are available in sets of 2 or 8. A seal kit with all seals and caps is available from NAPA.

Airleaks will also make a big difference. Have you pressure tested the intake system? Smoke test? Fuel pressure test. Oxygen sesnor voltage readings once warm!

The ECU ignores 02 sensor when in open loop. Open loop=cold starts. I don't know if it goes into closed loop right away on warm starts. I don't know what conditions need to be met on these cars to go into closed loop.

It's not going to go into closed-loop until the O2 sensor warms up.

So, I put the old greentops back with new o-rings and pintle caps and... the problem is gone!

Wonder why the car didn't like the white body injectors? Should I send them back? Maybe they were defective somehow. No matter. I probably don't need them given the boost I'm running. I just wanted a more modern injector in the engine as I had a good experience installing EV6 injectors in my old 240.

:e-shrug:

It's not going to go into closed-loop until the O2 sensor warms up.

Yeah, I know. Thats why I said "once warmed up".

So, I put the old greentops back with new o-rings and pintle caps and... the problem is gone!

Wonder why the car didn't like the white body injectors?

You feeeks eeeet! Awesome.

I have seen LH get "confused" on larger injectors sometimes. I have met more than one tbricker with 1990+ Turbo and they followed the tbricks homebrew recipe of BIG injectors, BIG MAF, 400hpturbodude!, and then their car idles like crap, gets terrible MPG, but hey, the pictures of the spraypaint on the engine bay look cool dude!

It could also be your car has other problems and the new injectors made the problem worse and it couldn't cope. Like airleaks.

That is kinda weird though. Whites aren't very big at all and I ran them on a B230FT on 2.4 and they idled ok from what I remember. I would pull them out and put 46lb ones in there for E85 and that worked pretty well. Stock MAF.

Last edited:
Yeah. Weird! I'm pretty sure I don't have any airleaks. My hoses are all in great shape and clamped down tight. I have had airleaks in the past on previous cars and I know what that feels and sounds like.

In any event, if the greentops can get me into the 14's this Sunday I'll be a happy camper!

Thanks everyone for your help/input. It's nice to have a thread with resolution (sort of).

Wonder why the car didn't like the white body injectors? Should I send them back? Maybe they were defective somehow. No matter. I probably don't need them given the boost I'm running. I just wanted a more modern injector in the engine as I had a good experience installing EV6 injectors in my old 240.

:e-shrug:

Find EV1 injectors for a Supercharged Buick V6 such as found in a 90's Pontiac Bonneville. These are Hi-Rez 4 hole injectors with slightly more flow than stock green tops.

Find EV1 injectors for a Supercharged Buick V6 such as found in a 90's Pontiac Bonneville. These are Hi-Rez 4 hole injectors with slightly more flow than stock green tops.

Ya know, at this point I'm done spending money on injectors. If I spend money on anything it's going to be a wideband. Thanks for the info though!

Back