• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 91-93 Power Steering Pump Sourcing and Rebuilding

Harlard

Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?
300+ Club
Hi all,

My 93 pump is leaking and I'm looking for a replacement. Stupidly I thought it would be a better option than the early GM/Saginaw pumps because I figured newer equaled better availability until I found out that Summit is full of them, and for cheap.

Now, my questions are:

1. Who makes this pump and can I buy it as anything else than a blue box Volvo that retails for $350? GM? Ford? Anything?

2. Are there quality rebuild kits available for these pumps? Is this something feasible without special tools?

Pic for reference:

Volvo-Power-Steering-Pump-8603040-AFT.jpg

You shouldn't need any specialty tools to rebuild them other than some snap ring plyers. You might need a press for the large seal but can probably get away with just a vise.

As far as off the shelf kits for a rebuild, I don't see any on first Google pass.

Found some on Rock Auto.

Looks like the later style pumps are also GM-style Saginaws with a Volvo-specific reservoir. I'll tear down the pump to search for part numbers. It'd be nice to just get a nice new AC Delco one rather than rebuilding an old one myself.

The "newer" style volvo pumps are Saginaw TC/ GM Type-2 pumps. You can actually pop the reservoirs off and swap them if you needed. I have been getting mine through Rock Auto.

The "newer" style volvo pumps are Saginaw TC/ GM Type-2 pumps. You can actually pop the reservoirs off and swap them if you needed. I have been getting mine through Rock Auto.

Are the fittings all the same across the board? Looks like the Corvette pumps may be my best best if that's the case.

Tried to pull the pulley and bent it.

Tried to remove the reservoir but didn't want to risk bending a clip. Is there a trick to this??

Tried to remove the reservoir but didn't want to risk bending a clip. Is there a trick to this??

Pry the center tab up in the clip, hold the tab up and slide the clip away from the pulley side.

The pulleys are a pain to remove. The hub OD is smaller than the GM pulleys, so the cheap hub-type pulley pullers won't work without a bunch of heat. They press fit is a heavy interference, and a 3-pronged puller will just bend the pulley.

Pry the center tab up in the clip, hold the tab up and slide the clip away from the pulley side.

Thought so...clips wouldn't budge. I'll have to clean it up and put some penetrant in the clips.

The pulleys are a pain to remove. The hub OD is smaller than the GM pulleys, so the cheap hub-type pulley pullers won't work without a bunch of heat. They press fit is a heavy interference, and a 3-pronged puller will just bend the pulley.

Balls. Might just get a single groove pulley for GM applications and space it accordingly.

Balls. Might just get a single groove pulley for GM applications and space it accordingly.

Hit up the Fickle Bitch Rally Team on FB. They recently went through the same thing. They had to use a GM pulley and the spacing was a pain, but they eventually got it all lined up. And now they have a sweet aluminum pulley!

Back