• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Smoke Through Vents

jfry

78 245 with an 89 b230. Drove two hundred miles in the heat with no problem. When I get home I reverse up the long steep hill that is my driveway and all of the sudden I'm burning oil. Oil smoke starts billowing out from under the hood near the fire wall and through the interior vents. WTF?

Check the oil seal plug on the back of the cylinder head. Use a mirror it's kind of hard to see but very likely your oil leak. Don't drive till you fix it. This leak is usually an engine killer if you risk it. It's easy to replace the seal. You remove the valve cover and take off the rear bearing. It holds the seal in place. Clean the area and replace the seal. Torque the bearing cap to spec and replace the valve cover gasket and valve cover and it's done.

Then you can fix the clogged crankcase breather system and it shouldn't happen again.

Is it burning oil as out the tailpipe? or just starting smokin' and that's is what you're using to describe oil on a hot manifold?

If out tailpipe do what dl242gt says first

+1 check rear cam seal. If it's there, and the retainer isn't, then grab an IPD retainer. If nothing is there at all, you will need to do what dl242gt said. The stock retainer is poo. Mine wasn't there when I got my wagon. Had oil everywhere. After IPD retainer, no more issues.

Back