• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

140 fender arches?

Billiam500

Not sure where to put this but I figured bodywork questions go in Showroom:

One of the front fenders of my '71 142 is dented, so took one off of a '70 145, later to realize that my car has the high arch and the and the '70 has the low arch. I'm thinking of getting the other fender to help conceal some of the gap between the arch and tire, but will I get tire rub with the lower fenders? The car is a 142 with IPD lowering springs and 205/50/15's on Virgos.

Sure shouldn't. My '68 with ipd springs & low fenders was fine with 205/60's on Virgos. 195/70-14's would barely touch on the lower front corner on 240 steel wheels.

Ok thanks!
The fender looks like it got hit right where the trim goes, right at the top of the arch, so it almost looks like a flat 240 fender. It's been there for as long as I've owned the car, so I don't think I can pop it out; but it's worth a try I guess.

205/50-15s will be fine on virgos. 225/50-15s on virgos and you'll get rubbage, even on stock suspension(on big bumps).

Currently running 215/65/15 on virgo's on the rear of my 140, Rubs going over bumps and if I have passengers in the rear of the vehicle. So annoying but it just looks sooo good!

So I guess that answer my questions on whether my 235/40x17's would rub.

Looks like I'm tubbing the rear, then. :-(

Tubs:
Ummm Maybe.
There is alot of room for winter chain clearance on the older cars.
The virgo's add 20 mm to the track,
as their offset is 20mm,while 140 is 40 mm.
I think Bridgetown 142 had some 235-35-17's,
on a 145,and had slight issues on the front not rear.
Your low arch fenders will have less clearance also.

I think Marc was actually running 205/45s or something along those lines. Whatever comes stock on the 850s, I think??? Not too sure, doesn't matter really. I had the equivalent of 205/50-17s on my early fendered car without issue(using FWD offset).

??? You never asked that question... And for what it's worth, the rear has no problems what so ever with that size if you use the right offset wheels. Especially if you whip out a hammer and bend the lips in back there. The problem is in the front with using wheels that have lower offset than stock and wide tires. Put on the later front fenders with the larger openings and those won't have any problems either.

you got tones of room, i had 245/45X17's on my 145 with plenty of room.

60057550.jpg

:-D Beefy. I forgot about those... They look like 245/40-17s in the picture though, are you sure they're 45s?

you got tones of room, i had 245/45X17's on my 145 with plenty of room.

60057550.jpg

Damn, that was yours? Seen that picture several times.

The reason I didn't ask is because I've taken up enough of your time lately and didn't want to quiz you further.

Unlike many here, I realise that time really is money and so do not intend to take up any more of your time asking stupid questions.

I've got some springs sorted, BTW, from a historic Volvo place! :-P

Damn, that was yours? Seen that picture several times.

The reason I didn't ask is because I've taken up enough of your time lately and didn't want to quiz you further.

Unlike many here, I realise that time really is money and so do not intend to take up any more of your time asking stupid questions.

I've got some springs sorted, BTW, from a historic Volvo place! :-P

don't worry, i have enough time to answer questions about 140's. if you were asking me about a FWD volvo that would be another story ;-) . sweet so you got some springs.

Back