home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #26
gross polluter
They see me trollin'

Awesome thread, askhole.

1968 Furd Rustang fastberk | 2JZGTE VVTi | MS3X ECU | PT6776S | 4L80e Microsquirt TCU Sloppy Transbrake | 3.73 8.8" rear end

1981 Piper Cherokee Archer II | All stock
gross polluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #27
maxitoman007
Board Member

I'm sorry I'm not trying to be an askhole. I just feel like a hoodpipe is the only thing I can afford right now and I was simply wondering what would be the best approach.
maxitoman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:33 AM   #28
VolvoGuy123
Board Member

Don't worry about anyone's opinions, they are entitled to make them. Just do you, 'Full tilt diva' the **** out of it! lol.
VolvoGuy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #29
VolvoGuy123
Board Member

That piece is nice! great work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EivlEvo View Post
It will be over 96dbz.

1. I ran the wastegate on my Evo external dump (though... not out the hood because I think it's ridiculous ESPECIALLY if you're trying to save money) this is mine actually lol

It sounded GREAT until WOT. It sounded like a McLaren Mercedes as the WG was flapping about... after that, it sounded like tractor. It was also WAY too loud. And that's with a turbo in the way.

2. I ran the Volvo with both "some" exhaust and "no" exhaust. While I generally like the tractor motor sound it makes, and with the "some" exhaust once you got onto the revs you could definitely hear the neat grpA sounds (regardless of how different the motor is) it was LOUD. Like... you won't be able to have a conversation loud. This was with no turbo.

3. I ran turbo and downpipe (15g) and it was quiet enough, but it sounded like a semi truck. Too whistley. I added a HF cat and a muffler (straight through) and exited out the side and it sounds quite good now... but it's definitely too quiet. I'll probably experiment with some other choices.

Toxicfab also makes that O2 housing in a hood dump. Cutting a hole in your hood to save money is like fighting for peace or screwing for virginity. You can run it down and have the same exact thing. But my real point is... it will be loud. Unless I'm missing something silly.

You also need a plan for water.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #30
VolvoGuy123
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wren View Post
FTFY
lol, Thanks.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #31
EivlEvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoGuy123 View Post
That piece is nice! great work.
Heh... it's not mine. It's toxicfab... it's all super nice. I have one of his manifolds on my Evo now.

Regarding getting pulled over... don't be foolish. Cops pull people over for anything. Including but not limited to whatever they feel they can fit into the definition of probable cause. I'll say this. I felt like I was able to get away with a LOT more loud exhaust crap in the Volvo because the cops probably just assumed it was some pile of crap. If you have a pipe coming out of your hood... flush or not you're going to get noticed. Especially if you're driving like a jackass (queue the classic teen response of... I never do that, and then queue the classic adult response of... then why does it matter so much to put a pipe through your hood).

Obviously your mind is made up. You're completely correct... you might not get pulled over... but if you do it's going to become a problem.

Regarding your turbo build... read more. Be conservative with boost to start. You have skinny rod motor and youthful indiscretion. Try not to die.

Re gross polluter... ignore them... they say that in pretty much every post that doesn't meet their standards.
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:27 PM   #32
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

build a normal downpipe, run it open for a few weeks and hate life, run the rest of the exhaust.

hood exit is loud AF. open downpipe under the car is loud AF.

You will get a lot of attention, and you will get pulled over.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:25 PM   #33
maxitoman007
Board Member

Well considering everyone's concern, I'm genuinely considering picking up one of those $50 Ebay butterfly valves and some how setting it up so I can choose between a muffled downpipe (not built all the way back) and a hoodpipe. The only problem is I cant seem to find a valve that switches between two pipes, they are all just open or closed (meaning I would need 2 to actually switch between exhaust options). Also I'd have to find a place to put the O2 sensor bung so that it works for either configuration. Anyone ever done anything similar?
Old 07-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #34
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxitoman007 View Post
Well considering everyone's concern, I'm genuinely considering picking up one of those $50 Ebay butterfly valves and some how setting it up so I can choose between a muffled downpipe (not built all the way back) and a hoodpipe. The only problem is I cant seem to find a valve that switches between two pipes, they are all just open or closed (meaning I would need 2 to actually switch between exhaust options). Also I'd have to find a place to put the O2 sensor bung so that it works for either configuration. Anyone ever done anything similar?
really? After the beating you're taking in this thread, you're asking if anyone here has ever done something similar to an even crazier idea you just had?

The answer is no, and please...build an exhaust or run an open dump facing downwards. There's absolutely NO reason to cut a hole in the hood, except for a futile attempt at what passes for 'street cred' now...thanks to a million stupid ricer youtube channels.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:01 PM   #35
maxitoman007
Board Member

Guys please understand that this is not for "street cred" its for saving money, that's it and that's all.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:13 PM   #36
gross polluter
They see me trollin'

Just not touching it would save you more money.
gross polluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #37
EivlEvo
Board Member

Quote:
Guys please understand that this is not for "street cred" its for saving money, that's it and that's all.
No. It isn't for saving money. Because turning it down is less linear feet of pipe than up and could be easily used as the front of a downpipe later.

That's why people are flaming you. There is no argument you can make that cutting a hole in your hood was the cheapest option. It's not. You're doing this because you want to see fire shoot out of your hood. Fine. But don't be a rube and talk about it saves money blah blah blah.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #38
Streetliight
Volvo Noob

Quote:
Any half decent exhaust shop will weld up a side pipe for you for probably less than $100. As a bonus, you get to keep your hood.
Streetliight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #39
maxitoman007
Board Member

Oh I didn't realize it was the same amount of piping. I thought it would be much longer to do a downpipe. Will there be a big difference between a 3" open downpipe and a 2.5" ? I have much better access to 2.5" at the moment but I'll work out how to get 3" if it shows significant performance gains.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #40
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
I learned this lesson a looooooong time ago: If you can't afford to do it right, don't do it.

A hood pipe is far from the best/cheapest answer. If you're hell bent on an open exhaust, get a 90* mandrel bend, the same bend you'd use to make the hood pipe, and point it down instead of up. That way, you'll still have the extreme loudness, and will only get pulled over for noise violations and not safety/emissions violations.

A 3" open vs. a 2.5" open isn't a big deal, IMO. I'd go with the cheaper of the two, depending on what they charge to adapt the piping to the turbo.
Broke4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:21 PM   #41
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

the OE downpipe is just about 2.5 inches, and not a bad piece. would suggest looking elsewhere/waiting.
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:34 AM   #42
VolvoGuy123
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke4speed View Post
I learned this lesson a looooooong time ago: If you can't afford to do it right, don't do it.

A hood pipe is far from the best/cheapest answer. If you're hell bent on an open exhaust, get a 90* mandrel bend, the same bend you'd use to make the hood pipe, and point it down instead of up. That way, you'll still have the extreme loudness, and will only get pulled over for noise violations and not safety/emissions violations.

A 3" open vs. a 2.5" open isn't a big deal, IMO. I'd go with the cheaper of the two, depending on what they charge to adapt the piping to the turbo.
THIS.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #43
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

but.. but... hoodpipe... !!!
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #44
EivlEvo
Board Member

Quote:
Oh I didn't realize it was the same amount of piping. I thought it would be much longer to do a downpipe. Will there be a big difference between a 3" open downpipe and a 2.5" ? I have much better access to 2.5" at the moment but I'll work out how to get 3" if it shows significant performance gains.
To do a FULL downpipe makes kind of a square Z shape. To do a simple turn down is just the same as pointing up out of the hood or down at the ground. If you aim it down, WHEN you realize you don't like it... you can just tack the back pieces on and you have your downpipe whereas if it goes out the hood, you have to cut re-weld and then figure out how to address the hole in your hood.

Regarding the 2.5 vs 3. Depending on what turbo you go with... it will make a difference. I believe that Volvo used metric spec piping and the stock turbo exhaust was 60mm (don't quote me on that). IPD turbo exhaust is 2.5 I believe. Most of us are running 3" pipe for our exhaust I believe.

With such a short pipe, I don't think you'll see any gains from one over the other... but 3" is probably more ideal long run.

If you use a Volvo turbo with a conical flange, you'll need the cone part first anyhow.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:11 AM   #45
maxitoman007
Board Member

Well my turbo has a 2.5 inch 4 bolt outlet if that helps.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:41 AM   #46
mocambique-amazone
Board Member

buy a chemical mask
https://globalbiodefense.com/wp-cont...cbrn_mask2.jpg

build a short pipe into the cabin of your car and you won't have probs with noise /96db

and you look cool dude

my two cents

Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #47
maxitoman007
Board Member

Lol
Old 07-21-2017, 08:06 PM   #48
cosbySweater
Board Member

Just cut a hole in the fire wall and run it strait off the turbo into the cabin
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7665 turbo, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:48 PM   #49
maxitoman007
Board Member

The passenger can roast marshmallows on the flames coming out haha.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #50
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
if any car has a stupid pipe coming out of the hood, or front fender, it better make 800+ hp
This.

'90 245 Daily

Instagram: @itstotesdenny

I want all your nostalgic Volvo stuffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEMSFred View Post
Nothing's black magic. Basics to moderate power levels are cake, period. Start off rich and retarded, like your president.
TurboDenny is offline   Reply With Quote