home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 04-05-2017, 02:01 PM   #26
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

When conditions are met. Ecu grounds the low speed first and gets the fan going and then triggers high. Keeps the inI tial currentry draw down. Anyways, go look up a wiring diagram and learn that there is power to the control side AND the power side.

Is there a fuse for the control side??? IDK I'm pooping.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:02 PM   #27
Maximusfrisbee
Board Member

I think you are completely right. I need to watch some "how to use a multimeter" videos and try to understand relays/circuits better.

What you are saying is totally foreign to me. Thanks for trying though.
Maximusfrisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:17 PM   #28
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Thumbs up

Hey I get **** from the dudes with more experience. I always watch them and ask questions which they may find annoying.

I used to just wrench in the back yard now I'm approaching the 6 figure mark. I also got lead on another job today from a guy I met randomly at the gas station whom recognized I was a tech. Stick with it!
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:31 PM   #29
Hotdoggin
Board Member

-sigh-
1984 244DL - Crushed
1984 245DL - Sitting in someone's yard
1991 740SE - girlfriend's car
2008 S60 2.5T - Money drainer
Hotdoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:57 AM   #30
Maximusfrisbee
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
Hey I get **** from the dudes with more experience. I always watch them and ask questions which they may find annoying.

I used to just wrench in the back yard now I'm approaching the 6 figure mark. I also got lead on another job today from a guy I met randomly at the gas station whom recognized I was a tech. Stick with it!
No worries I take no offense, you are answering my questions I just can't decipher what the heck they mean. Ha, that's my fault... no need to explain. I want to learn this stuff bad. Not so much for a job but do that I know the 230 inside and out and can keep it out of the hands of mechanics other than myself (No offense). I really really enjoying taking something neglected and giving it a nice polish...

I've certainly got to learn the ins and outs of a multimeter. That looks like it's going to help me immensely. So, thanks man... really.

Oh, and six figures makes me terribly jealous. I just quit a job making 65-70k to get back into art instead. I was building Volkswagens in Chattanooga... couldn't have possible loathed a job more.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:18 PM   #31
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Relay diagram: https://goo.gl/images/plpVFI

Usually 4 wires. Let's start with that.
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #32
Maximusfrisbee
Board Member

Okay, well that's easy enough. What does it mean by coil?

So... new alternator. Everything works. Dash warning lights are off! And the fan kicks on like it's suppose to (with the new relay). The only thing out of order is the idle. I messed with the throttle cables... and not sure what I did. Prooooobably shouldn't have adjusted those things.

I've got a new throttle body gasket coming for when I remove the thing and clean it real good. So I'll tackle getting the adjustment then. Any good threads on that?
Old 04-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #33
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

The coil is part of the electromagnet in the relay - it's literally a coil of wire. When it's energized it closes the switch in the diagram. Take the cover off of a relay and it'll be fairly obvious how it works.

As someone who learned his way around cars by breaking things, causing small electrical fires, and messing with stuff that probably didn't need messing with...don't go looking for problems where there aren't any. If you took too much slack out of the throttle cable when you "messed with" it it'll hold the butterfly open and raise the idle. Functionally, it's like holding your foot on the accelerator all the time. If you made it too slack it'll mess up the pedal feel but it shouldn't affect the idle. The other cables are for cruise control and for triggering the kickdown function in the transmission. The former isn't adjustable, I don't think, but if you get the latter out of whack it can cause issues with the transmission.

Go to k-jet.org, look up the service manuals for your car, and read up on how it works before you start tweaking stuff willy-nilly. ;)
2006 V50 T5 AWD 6MT: 135K
Feedback Thread
kampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #34
Maximusfrisbee
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampman View Post
The other cables are for cruise control and for triggering the kickdown function in the transmission. The former isn't adjustable, I don't think, but if you get the latter out of whack it can cause issues with the transmission.

Go to k-jet.org, look up the service manuals for your car, and read up on how it works before you start tweaking stuff willy-nilly. ;)
Ahhh, maybe that's whats going on. I'm quickly quickly learning to stop touching stuff if I don't know whats up with it. When I sit in Idle things are nice and calm. When I move it into Drive or Reverse it idles harder. Sounds like what you were talking about perhaps. I'll go look that stuff up now. Thanks for the link.

EDIT: Oh my gosh! K-jet is the best place ever! Thanks so much!!!

Last edited by Maximusfrisbee; 04-07-2017 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: Wow...
Old 04-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #35
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

Nah, I'm talking about issues while driving - if you set the kickdown cable (way) too loose the the transmission won't shift fast enough and it'll slip and wear out the clutches. If you leave it too tight the shifts will be harsh. If you don't notice either of these things then don't touch it.

If by "idles harder" you mean there's more vibration in R/D than P, the engine/transmission mounts are probably worn out.
kampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:43 PM   #36
Maximusfrisbee
Board Member

Well, when you are in park the RPMs are at 1k, then in reverse drive the car will move to around 500-600 with my foot on the brake. It wasn't doing that before I "fixed" things under the hood.

I've printed off the throttle adjustment manual from the k-jet site and I'll let my brother go over it. He's much more mechanically inclined than myself.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:19 PM   #37
stiligFox
Part-time Tinkerer

6-700RPM is where it should idle at, so that proper. I've heard about cars idling higher in park and neatral but I can't recall why.
stiligFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #38
carrera4

This car running good yet? Seems things would at least dry out some and improve.
carrera4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:35 PM   #39
Maximusfrisbee
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera4 View Post
This car running good yet? Seems things would at least dry out some and improve.
Yep, we are pretty well peachy. Just trying to tune the throttle that I goofed with.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #40
Maximusfrisbee
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiligFox View Post
6-700RPM is where it should idle at, so that proper. I've heard about cars idling higher in park and neatral but I can't recall why.
Right now we're looking at the kickdown cable. I messed with toooo many nuts under there.