• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Increase your MPG now...DO THIS!!!

I just had to bump this thread back up to the top. It's funny as hell and informative! Everything from secifying a Ragu jar, dogs pissing glass and someone trying to hydro-lock their engine! :rofl:

Cant wait to get home and smoke out the neighbors! I'll try to get the wife to take a pic :omg:

Just read the whole thread, yes very entertaining:rofl: Yet seemingly difficult to follow others instructions:roll: I gots to find some of this in Canada..................

If you fix the cause of the carbon build up, then give it a long enough italian tune up, you will burn off that carbon.

Just read the whole thread, yes very entertaining:rofl: Yet seemingly difficult to follow others instructions:roll: I gots to find some of this in Canada..................

Not available in Canada. I buy mine when I'm in the US of Eh. But, GM has some similar stuff. "GM Top Engine Cleaner" is what you want. Google it, you'll get the PN. Go to the dealership, and give the nice kid behind the desk the part number. Get 2 cans. Follow the Seafoam/water-torture instructions, you WILL enjoy the results.

OR, find your local BG dealer, and pay 28$ a can for their version...not.

yup

GM has some similar stuff. "GM Top Engine Cleaner" is what you want. Google it, you'll get the PN. Go to the dealership, and give the nice kid behind the desk the part number.
OR, find your local BG dealer, and pay 28$ a can for their version...not.

yup

Nice parts people at a GM dealership:???: Aren't they overworked from beeing busy all the time;-) Have you used this GM product, I was hoping for the seafoam, as everyone else is doing it:-P

One more for the pile. I did the deed to my 87 740 turbo (always ran like poop). It made the car run a whole lot better. I then ran it about a mile at 50 mph in 2nd gear, and puff, puff, puff. It looked like my car swallowed a lit cigar. I'm doing the head gasket this weekend (hopefully) and I am anxious to see what the head looks like. Thanks for the hookup.

ok...just got a 1987 760 wagon turbo with 225k on it...the turbo was replaced with a remaufactured turbo at 175k......

Can I do this seafoam thing, or is the engine to high in milage......

prolly would work wonders on mine, I have a hard time starting, and it idles a little rough for the first 3 mins unitl it is warm.....

then it is ok....

I just got the car, and for a turbo, it seems like it should have a little more power...

and the guy I bought it from was a oil change at 3k miles and take it to the mechaninc if it hiccuped kinda guy......but who knows how good the mechanic was....

the only mechanic I trust is me!!!

so, is the car to high in milage, or is it SEAFOAM AWAY, MATEY!!!!!!

ARRRRGHHHHHH! (my best pirate impression)

al

SEAFOAM AWAY, MATEY!

Lol. And it sounds like you could clean out the throttle body as well, and who knows, maybe even a "stage 0", aka, a tune up.

Italian tune with diesel fuel works great.. if you have a carb. dribble a bit of diesel into the carb slowly while revving the engine...don't pour..dribble.. will make a hell of a smoke show for your nieghbours and clean the carb,valves, manifold, and piston tops.. don't let the car stall while doing it . For injected engines you can put diesel in a squirt bottle and spray slowly into the manifold at the pcv port..again go slowly with the diesel and keep the revs up..Fuel injector cleaner is just kerosene or methyl hydrate in an expensive little bottle..If you have a turbo keep the diesel or any other liquid away from the tubo housing....anyone ever added oil in the dark to a 740t and dripped some on a hot tubo??? wake you up real quick as you run for a hose..lol

I was reading through the "water torture" thread (http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=35053&page=4) , and as I was reading I could only think about the cars I've had and the horror stories from blown head gaskets.

Basically how it goes is when the headgasket goes, water and coolant mix with the oil, which then makes its way into the bearings, being that water and oil don't mix the water sits, and as a poor lubricant wears out the bearings, killing them, and then the engine throws a rod and dies.

sk8daysaweek wrote at the end of the water torture thread:
I did this two days ago to my 71' 145 with great initial results. I had improved accel, better throttle response, noticeably more power, and a little less detonation. I revved the crap out of it and burned it all out of the system and drove it for a good 30 - 45 minutes afterwards. I parked it for a day and today when I started it up I heard this terrible rattling noise, I can't tell where the hell it's coming from. Is it normal for sea foam to kill cars? Any thoughts as to what it might be?

edit: It sounds really bad, like something is terribly wrong.

Sounds like the beginnings of the stories I've read.

Now I'm not a mechanic, and I've never done this to a car, but I cant for the life of me reason why one would willingly put water in the oil. I don't know about Seafoam, if its designed to mix well and burn off, sounds good to me, but I cant think that water would be something that I would want in an engine. Even if the water boils and steams, it's in a closed system, and will condense once the engine cools. Not to mention that when you drain the oil from an engine its nigh impossible to get every drop of liquid out of it, so by the same reasoning the water would still likely remain as well.

Granted the recommendation for an immediate oil change is probably part of the longevity of some engines that this is used on but I have to ask, has anyone suffered any mechanical problems after doing this?

plenty of people drive around all day, every day with water/meth injecting into their intake system.

and air itself has moisture in it. when the oil is at operating temp, it is in vapor form...and is either being vented, or burned. i dont think i'd do the water/seafoam treatment and drive the car like that for a long time, but a quick drive to "italian tune" it up...sure. then change the oil.

With regards to Sk8daysaweek's experience, he didn't have a tach in the car and was really driving the car HARD after he did the seafoaming. I think his engine was getting a bit tired anyway, the excessive high rpm driving could've done'm in, we'll never know for sure.

Seafoam itself will not kill an engine. I have used it on 5 very different engines with either great results or no change at all. Never bad results. I have never revved to fuel cutoff when doing this though. Just spirited driving. My gf's '95 Rodeo (3.2l v6 DOHC) smokes for a good ten minutes, filling two lanes of traffic behind it with smoke. I use it on her truck evey other oil change (just before) with the same results, smoke then smoother idle and rev happy. I've done it about 5 times so far.
I know when I do it on to my brick I won't be redlining it. This thing only has about 20,000 miles left in it before it craps out for good. I'd like to see it go to 300,000 miles before I drop a replacement motor in.

hey guys im trying this seafoam thing out, im wondering if anyone could get a picture with arrows pointing to the intake lines that i should have seafoam go through the faster the better thanks!

I did it with a litre of water just now then drove it around, after a bit he car was running better, still won't rev when you put the foot to the floor, but that could be a TPS issue, but I let it idle and it's gone back to puffing out black smoke from running rich and probably undid the work...

Haven't ever done it to the current brick but I did it to my first car, an old grandma driven 88 244 GL and it sure did smoke like hell. I've done the water torture + seafoam method on a few cars, if there's a bunch of **** in there it'll help! Never hydrolocked anything or destroyed any seals. I guess the cat probably doesn't like a bunch of stuff tossed down it but eh.

This was one of the first things I read about on turbobricks that I did to my car! I also did the "preheater hose reroute + flapper vent delete" around the same time :lol: None of it did any harm that's for sure, and even if I didn't get epic gainz from it I sure did learn a little and it was a good place for novice me to start.

I have a bit of a rough idle. If I do this, and only put it in the fueltank, will it still be effective on a b230F?

or would I be missing the greater improvement of putting it through the flametrap hose?

Back