• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LSD options for Dana 30 - '68 142s

oemoilleaks

I find myself wanting to swap out the peg leg gearset I have in my Dana 27 rear axle for an LSD.

I'd like to keep the 4:30 ratio I have but what options are there for LSD gear sets?

Last edited:
The type of carrier (open or limited slip) is independent of the gear ratio (ring & pinion). Volvo gear sets are made so that you use the high numerical ratio carrier (3.73 +), unlike most other Dana 30 gear sets that require a different carrier for ratios numerically lower 3.73.

There are many different types of LSD that will fit a Dana 30. It really depends on your budget and what you want to do with the the car.

The type of carrier (open or limited slip) is independent of the gear ratio (ring & pinion). Volvo gear sets are made so that you use the high numerical ratio carrier (3.73 +), unlike most other Dana 30 gear sets that require a different carrier for ratios numerically lower 3.73.

There are many different types of LSD that will fit a Dana 30. It really depends on your budget and what you want to do with the the car.

The car basically takes a beating on vintage rallies. Obviously I don't want to spend 4k on a carrier/gear set.

I have a 4.30 open in there now. What would you recommend? It still has the b18b engine in it, but I will eventually be putting a b230ft in so over engineering parts now might save me money in the future.

You're good.
Let's zero in:
In his car what's the spines..Is it the square root splines M27 thing? (fawk its over 44 years since I saw that on me first ever Volvo)

The most popular option is the True-trac. It's a torque sensing design, so it will still spin only 1 tire if it completely looses traction. There are torque sensing LSDs that have clutches in them that won't spin a tire if it looses traction. Kaplhenke sells the Wavetrac that has this feature.

Lunch box lockers are a more affordable option, but I don't have any experience with them. Since they retain the original carrier, they aren't all that strong. They can also be noisy.

There's also the Dana Powr-Lok LSD, but the cross shafts are known to break. Billet cross shafts are available from Sweden, however.

With a B18, a 1030 is fine. For a B230FT, you'll want to upgrade to a 1031, which you'll need to get from a 164 if you want a bolt in solution. The carrier is the same, so it can be transferred to the 1031 housing should you decide to go that way. Otherwise, you'll need to cut the mounting brackets off and use a 240 or other rear end.

Oh ****.. just realized it's a Dana 27.

Now way. Volvo switched to type 30 in '66.

The most popular option is the True-trac. It's a torque sensing design, so it will still spin only 1 tire if it completely looses traction. There are torque sensing LSDs that have clutches in them that won't spin a tire if it looses traction. Kaplhenke sells the Wavetrac that has this feature.

Lunch box lockers are a more affordable option, but I don't have any experience with them. Since they retain the original carrier, they aren't all that strong. They can also be noisy.

There's also the Dana Powr-Lok LSD, but the cross shafts are known to break. Billet cross shafts are available from Sweden, however.

With a B18, a 1030 is fine. For a B230FT, you'll want to upgrade to a 1031, which you'll need to get from a 164 if you want a bolt in solution. The carrier is the same, so it can be transferred to the 1031 housing should you decide to go that way. Otherwise, you'll need to cut the mounting brackets off and use a 240 or other rear end.

Now way. Volvo switched to type 30 in '66.

Oh dang. I was hoping there would be a carrier that would just swap in, but realizing it's a 27 (the PO says that's what he put in there) I know those options rapidly dwindle.

I might be down in your neck of the woods again soon, maybe we can take a look under and know for sure. And maybe suss out a plan of attack!

Yeah..bummer..
Where are you and what sort of use?

Talk more if you want people to help.

I live in socal, but use it for vintage road rallies through central and northern CA. Ultimately will be abandoning the other track car and using this on track.

You're good.
Let's zero in:
In his car what's the spines..Is it the square root splines M27 thing? (fawk its over 44 years since I saw that on me first ever Volvo)

All Volvo live axle disc brake rear ends use type 30 diffs with 27 spline axles and the carriers will interchange.

Oh dang. I was hoping there would be a carrier that would just swap in, but realizing it's a 27 (the PO says that's what he put in there) I know those options rapidly dwindle.

I might be down in your neck of the woods again soon, maybe we can take a look under and know for sure. And maybe suss out a plan of attack!

There's no way to put a type type 27 rear end into 140 AFAIK. I'm curious to see what the PO did.

Perhaps he's confusing 27 spline axles with a type 27 diff (which would have 10 spline axles).

All Volvo live axle disc brake rear ends use type 30 diffs with 27 spline axles and the carriers will interchange.

There's no way to put a type type 27 rear end into 140 AFAIK. I'm curious to see what the PO did.

Perhaps he's confusing 27 spline axles with a type 27 diff (which would have 10 spline axles).

Who knows?
There is this:
http://gripperdifferentials.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=45_27&products_id=122

Volvo Amazon RACE Gripper Diff (10 Spline)
larger image
Volvo Amazon RACE Gripper Diff (10 Spline)
Add to Cart:

Add to Cart
?1,062.00
Sale: ?1,008.90
Save: 5% off

Volvo Amazon RACE Specification Gripper Diff

Gripper Multi-Plate Race Spec Differentials

Please let us know the number of splines on the driveshaft upon ordering. The default for this listing is 10 splines.

The Gripper Limited Slip Differential uses a multi-plate design which, when it detects a difference in wheels speed across the driven axle, locks the driveshafts together increasing traction. This increase in traction equates to faster launches and increased corner exit speeds as the wheels are no longer spinning as they would with an open diff. Torque is equalised across the driven wheels sending drive torque to both whereas an open diff will send the torque to the spinning wheel wasting drive in tyre smoke! Understeer and oversteer characteristics are controlled and your car laps faster as a result.

For a more detailed explanation on how a multi-plate limited slip differential works, please click the following link What is a limited slip differential?

Gripper Race Diffs: Free Tailored Set Up

As part of our customer service commitment, we will set your limited slip diff up FREE OF CHARGE before you take delivery. If the set up we apply does not suit you, we will reset your diff FREE OF CHARGE a second time within 30 days of receipt.

As Gripper diffs have many parameters that can be adjusted to set the diff up for a multitude of disciplines, please let us know in the notes to merchant section what you are using the diff for such as:
Tarmac Circuit Race Car: Smooth progressive action so car balance is maintained throughout the corner, strong locking action on acceleration for maximum traction and exit speed, reduced locking action in deceleration for improved control under braking without the car pushing on in the corners.
Loose Surface Rally Car or Ice Race Car: Limited deceleration locking action to reduced understeer and help with setting the car up early for a corner with a fast locking action on corner exit to maximise traction during acceleration.
Hillclimb / Sprint Car: Tarmac spec diff with focus on speed and strength of lock up to maximise grip without sacrificing the pointy and chuckable nature of these cars and minimise understeer in and out of corners.
Drift Car: Tarmac set up with the focus on speed and strength of lock up to help find the maximum lateral grip required in the car to achieve and maintain the acute cornering angles required to impress in competitive drifting.
Drag Race Car: Built to improve grip and traction off the line without introducing torque steer.
Oval Racing Car: Overall preload and numbers of active plates left to right can be adjusted to produce a diff that locks and unlocks quickly, combats understeer upon turn in and gives excellent lock for maximum traction when power is applied mid bend. A very different way of driving needs a very different diff set up!
The parameters than can be adjusted are the ramp angles, preload and the number of active plates overall

And this:
Volvo RWD RACE Gripper Diff (Type 1030 / 1031)
larger image
Add to Cart:

Add to Cart
?1,062.00

Volvo RWD RACE Specification Gripper Diff (Type 1030 / 1031)

This Gripper diff fits all beam axles Type 1030 / 1031 (not IRS) with 27 spline half shafts.

Seems simple enough...just money and he said money is no object..

And this:
larger image
Add to Cart:

Add to Cart
?1,062.00

Volvo RWD RACE Specification Gripper Diff (Type 1030 / 1031)

This Gripper diff fits all beam axles Type 1030 / 1031 (not IRS) with 27 spline half shafts.

Seems simple enough...just money and he said money is no object..

:nod:

Until it's more than $39.95.

Quaife makes a helical lsd for the 240 as well, since money is no object.
http://quaife.co.uk/quaife

https://shop.quaife.co.uk/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?vehicle=4&product_type=11&sub_type=16&manufacturer=36&model=603&q=

The listing is for a 240 but if it's a 1030 it should fit.

But who, if there is any option or such a nice all steel variable ramp clutch-plate diff--would chose something that just when you really need it, doesn't work?
We all know that twirly gear type diffs do not work in very low traction conditions (any better than an open diff)..
If you corner with enough vigor, or verve, of zip, you will unweight the inside wheel..
If it unweights enough, the Twirly gear things will spin the inside wheel,,

Just when you need it.

What fun is that?

Last edited:
:nod:

Until it's more than $39.95.

Whoa whoa whoa... I said money is no object. Like it's an object I no have. Look at you Dr. Money Bags with your $40 free..

I meant I'm not really limited by a budget but I'm not going to just get something fancy and expensive because it's fancy and expensive.

If a carrier out of a jeep is the most bombproof way of doing things, that's what I'll do. If I have to get a Quaife carrier to get the reliability than so be it. Not stoked on it, but it will be cheaper in the long run to not have to replace broken diffs every year.

But who, if there is any option or such a nice all steel variable ramp clutch-plate diff--would chose something that just when you really need it, doesn't work?
We all know that twirly gear type diffs do work in very low traction conditions (any better than an open diff)..
If you corner with enough vigor, or verve, of zip, you will unweight the inside wheel..
If it unweights enough, the Twirly gear things will spin the inside wheel,,

Just when you need it.

What fun is that?

I guess we all don't know that, I've never heard anything bad until now about them. They are still in business making them too for lots of different cars, just pointing out the option.

Back