• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 loosing power under boost/sputtering on deceleration

nickvolvo746

whats up turbo brickers, newbie here, ive been lurking for a while. Been looking for answers to a problem I have but I cant figure it out. I have a few ideas of my own but maybe somebody out there can help guide me in the right direction. Here is what I know:

In my '91 740 wagon with a mitsubishi 16g "big" turbo, I am having the following problems:
-Idles like crap (not too worried about this to be honest)
-When decelerating, the engine sputters quite a bit and it only sounds decent when im giving it some gas.
-I am loosing power under boost. By this i mean that the car seems to be running ok and getting most of what it needs up until I hit boost, then the rpms dont want to go up at all. Runs much better when accelerating in vacuum. I should note that it IS building pressure, im just not getting any sort of power at all from it.

I tried running it without the MAF and there was absolutely no change. does this indicate that the MAF is the problem? I saw another post that mentioned the wastegate actuator as a potential problem, but if that was the case, i wouldnt be seeing any pressure building, right? I checked the codes in the OBD system and it told me AMM or 02s but I believe there is something else going on. hopefully this wasnt to much information. thanks in advance if youre taking the time to read this!

Plastic from the homedpotand put air fitting to eet and presuretest and ad soapy water and look for airleaks

Back