• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Locost + Volvo 740 Turbo Running Gear

gibbo

Hey everyone,

Fist of all a little introduction, my name is Mark and I live in Scotland. I've been wanting to build a kit car since I was in High School and a few years ago while I was at university I managed to find a bargain of a chassis. Due to money flow I couldnt afford to put any money towards it so it been stored for the past few years, but now I am looking to build it.

I have found a person at home that has an old '89 Volvo 740 Turbo rotting away in his garden, I have approached him to do a deal and I'm waiting to hear back from him.

My plans are to use this as a learning project as I am a fully qualified Automotive Engineer and vehicles are a huge hobby of mine, so I plan to fit an aftermarket ECU, probably Megasquirt, 3 inch exhaust system and possibly a hybrid turbo in the late future. But first of all I will be looking into getting it built running standard, get it road worthy and then look at modifiying it from there on out.

I was going to fit an R1 engine and use Ford running gear which I have at the moment, however a large turbo'ed Volvo lump is much more appealling to me these days :D

Anyways, here are some photos of the chassis, let me know your thoughts on it. Will be looking at around 700-800kgs initially I estimate, but with +200hp will fairly motor on.

DSC03183.jpg

DSC03184.jpg

DSC03184.jpg

DSC00277.jpg

Cheers Gibbo

:wave:

Dream build you are starting:drool:

But surely it's going to be lighter than 800kg.. not?

Indeed mate, yeah it will probably be around the 700kg mark but depends which seats I intend to use. I'll probably track it first so will have light seats but may move to more comfortable seats and interior if I use it on the road.

As long as this guy gets back to me soon I can go and pick it up, strip the engine out and shoe-horn it into the chassis, I have a week off work next month so could get a lot done :D

This is going to be awesome. Please please keep us updated.

Cheers Pal, I sure hope so. Was a little worried how it would be taken on the forum as its going to be the opposite of a TurboBrick, more like a TurboFeather lol.

indeed i am , im actually in barcelona .

ill be back in september . first impression is that the chassis will be too narrow at the front for teh redblock , but not the whiteblock .

I'm with Volvorsport on this.... a 5 cylinder whiteblock would be really nice in something like that, and in this case the sump wouldn't present the usual problems as there is no steering rack or crossmember to be avoided as such.

I've no idea how the relative weights compare either, but it is important to keep the car balanced as far as possible when it is going to be as light as that, and avoid it being too nose heavy.

I take it you are planning on keeping the Sierra/ Granada IRS rear?

With so little weight and a low centre of mass, even 200bhp is going to push it along very smartly indeed....

Where about are you..... I'm another Jock, based in Paisley.

I think the engine will fit but only way is to try, and for the price I'll get it for it won't hurt.

As for the body panels, they'll be a mix of alloy and fibreglass but mainly alloy.

I think i saw a video of that locosy on youtube, whats all been done to it?

Turbeam i live in livingston but am originally from the Isle of Bute and my dad now stays in Erskine.

Personally, I'd want to go lighter than a turboed red block.......Maybe a turbo Busa motor.

There's something intoxicating about those engines revving into the stars with all the turbo sounds accompanying it.

Personally, I'd want to go lighter than a turboed red block.......Maybe a turbo Busa motor.

There's something intoxicating about those engines revving into the stars with all the turbo sounds accompanying it.

It's all about money though mate, Id love to put a Hayabusa V8 into it but they start at about $25000 and I'm planning on building it for about 2000 pounds lol. The turbo'ed Volvo engine should give it a fair amount of power. My friend runs a Tiger car that runs a 2 litre Ford engine at about 150bhp and it is more than quick enough.

It's all about money though mate, Id love to put a Hayabusa V8 into it but they start at about $25000 and I'm planning on building it for about 2000 pounds lol. The turbo'ed Volvo engine should give it a fair amount of power. My friend runs a Tiger car that runs a 2 litre Ford engine at about 150bhp and it is more than quick enough.

I hear ya, but I was just talking about a regular Busa 4cyl out of the bike. Out of the box, they make something like 210-220 hp (I think?). And I think it'd make enough torque to still make that thing scream. You could probably find a bike that someone has messed up and rape it for everything it's worth.....providing the motor is still ok.

I will say though, that I don't know how much even a messed up bike would run in the US.....let alone over there.

I hear ya, but I was just talking about a regular Busa 4cyl out of the bike. Out of the box, they make something like 210-220 hp (I think?). And I think it'd make enough torque to still make that thing scream. You could probably find a bike that someone has messed up and rape it for everything it's worth.....providing the motor is still ok.

I will say though, that I don't know how much even a messed up bike would run in the US.....let alone over there.

That's what I wanted initially but after looking into the prices its scary, looking at about at least ?2.5k for an engine kit as they are so popular for these types of cars, thats about the kind of money I want to put into it all together to get it roadworthy. Since I'm using heavier Sierra front Hubs etc the rolling weight will be quite a bit more than the lighter and very more expensive alloy uprights, so think I'll stick to heavier but more powerful engines, at least for now.

I remember reading about a guy whose car weighed in at under 400kgs running a bike engine, completely light weight everything!!! Mega money though but some crazy performance and handling!!! Mine will be a road car, used on track and possibly for a bit of sideways fun :D

Back